What happened to the "Singlepower's Response" thread?
Nov 28, 2007 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

speakerhead

Head-Fier
My posts have disappeared and so has the thread?
confused.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 18
Maybe because you were being inflammatory, trying to reopen old wounds and bring back a time that almost killed headfi and resulted in a lot of good people leaving the forum?

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe because you were being inflammatory, trying to reopen old wounds and bring back a time that almost killed headfi and resulted in a lot of good people leaving the forum?

whoa calm down I just joined headfi I had no clue about the implications of that thread.

I'm just interested in purchasing a singlepower amp and that thread contained a lot of pertinent information for me especially since after reading all the pages there was never a resolution posted.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

whoa calm down I just joined headfi I had no clue about the implications of that thread.

I'm just interested in purchasing a singlepower amp and that thread contained a lot of pertinent information for me especially since after reading all the pages there was never a resolution posted.

Not worth discussing anything in that thread really. If you want to learn about SP amps contact Mikhail, excercise a "search" function, or start a new thread. I will be happy to participate in that thread.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not worth discussing anything in that thread really. If you want to learn about SP amps contact Mikhail, excercise a "search" function, or start a new thread. I will be happy to participate in that thread.

I did exercise a search which is how I found that thread.

Subsequent threads did not explain the follwing

Are the Singlepower amps "pure class A" (What does pure class A mean) ?

When did Singlepower change their wiring philosophy?

I had a few other questions but now that the original thread is gone I forgot a few of them
biggrin.gif

Purk I think your input would be invaluable in this thread as well
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/tub...30/index5.html

Nov 28, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 18
There are LOTS of happy Singlepower amp owners among head-fi's membership, including me. I have a SP Extreme, which is my second SP amp (had a PPX3 previously). I think the SP Extreme is a great sounding amp, and I just LOVE how many tube rolling options there are
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are LOTS of happy Singlepower amp owners among head-fi's membership, including me. I have a SP Extreme, which is my second SP amp (had a PPX3 previously). I think the SP Extreme is a great sounding amp, and I just LOVE how many tube rolling options there are
smily_headphones1.gif

Hello Skylab.

I was just reading your review on the darkvoice 337 how does it compare to your SP extreme?

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by speakerhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Skylab.

I was just reading your review on the darkvoice 337 how does it compare to your SP extreme?

The answer is a bit tricky of course, as it depends on tube choices. I slightly prefer the more meaty, organic sound of the 337 to the slightly lighter, less dense sound of the SP Extreme. But both amps are truly excellent. I think the 337 represents the better value for the money, but the Extreme has far more tube rolling optionsn and as such has the option to really have a lot of "sounds".

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 18
Hey Skylab I'm digging the hockey puck tweak under the amp.
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 18
Nov 29, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Skylab I'm digging the hockey puck tweak under the amp.
biggrin.gif

Hockey pucks are the cheapest, most effective vibration-control tweak there is!

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ended up preferring one amp (MPX3,Extreme) over the other?

With a gun to my head, I would choose the MPX3. It presents a more more 'mature' perspective of sound as opposed to the Extreme that has a more dynamic, more aggresive solid state presentation. The EP sound is still touched by the magic of tube glow, of course.

To be fair, I have not had the Extreme long enough to find the ideal tube combination that I have with the MPX3.

Different takes on the Singlepower sound.

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #14 of 18
For Skylab, would you describe the 337 as warmer, darker, smoother, more 'musical', with a fuller and richer sound as the SP Extreme ? Better or worse at covneying emotion ? If it's not so simple what are the differences between them in those terms ?
I am assuming the best tube configurations.

I am also interested in a similar comparison between the PPX (6SN7) and 337 as I've heard the PPX sounds a bit 'more tube-like', warmer, more musical and therefore closer to what I would like.

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The answer is a bit tricky of course, as it depends on tube choices. I slightly prefer the more meaty, organic sound of the 337 to the slightly lighter, less dense sound of the SP Extreme. But both amps are truly excellent. I think the 337 represents the better value for the money, but the Extreme has far more tube rolling optionsn and as such has the option to really have a lot of "sounds".

You description of DV337 matches the sound signature of ASL MG-Head DT32 when I compared it with MPX3 SLAM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back