What happened to the Shure E4 group buy thread?
May 15, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #181 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinchyCM
so when's this group buy gonna happen? they're being released tomorrow! i almost have half a mind to just order them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Look at it from a positive point of view. You might be able to hold yourself back until somebody has written a comparison between e4's and the new UE's, if you wait for the group buy
wink.gif

May 15, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #182 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
How about making the Group Buy and For Sale / Trade Forums a Membership benefit available to contributors? If people only joined to use those facilities it would generate revenue and a traceable form of Payment for membership would be another step in preventing fraud?

That's a very good idea and the way at least one other forum I can think of (Home Theater SPOT) handles it. While SPOT does not allow group buys, or discussing costs, access to "bonus, advanced" forum areas is only allowed to contributing subscribers. In their case, the Tweaks forum - how to set up your HT system for best performance, one of the major reasons people look to online HT forums - is only available to subscribers.

It should be easy to impliment and offers controls. And, since it requires payment - which should therefore be traceable to a real person even if using a method such as PayPal - fraud would be easier to trace back to the source, allowing police actions if it comes to that.

May 15, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #183 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
Look at it from a positive point of view. You might be able to hold yourself back until somebody has written a comparison between e4's and the new UE's, if you wait for the group buy
wink.gif

but it's all about the impuluse
smily_headphones1.gif
i need some portables right now, i just got rid of my 4Ps and e3cs recently. don't make me use the ipod buds.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #185 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinchyCM
but it's all about the impuluse
smily_headphones1.gif
i need some portables right now, i just got rid of my 4Ps and e3cs recently. don't make me use the ipod buds.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I'd say I'm in a much worse situation. I've pretty much sold my e3c's; I have given all of my decent pair of free buds away (Sennheiser mx... and similar). Only pair left? A pair of semi-working iPod bud. I'm still waiting for my iPod photo to arrive. The only thing I have left is my way-too-crappy car stereo, a cassette adapter and my iRiver imp-550... And the pay check doesn't arrive before the 27th
plainface.gif

May 15, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #186 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
Well, I'd say I'm in a much worse situation. I've pretty much sold my e3c's; I have given all of my decent pair of free buds away (Sennheiser mx... and similar). Only pair left? A pair of semi-working iPod bud. I'm still waiting for my iPod photo to arrive. The only thing I have left is my way-too-crappy car stereo, a cassette adapter and my iRiver imp-550... And the pay check doesn't arrive before the 27th
plainface.gif

man, that is rough. i used my ipod stock buds today. ouch.

May 16, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #187 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are missing something. Some group buys conducted on this site are not for commercial products! If you want good examples of this wander on over to the DIY forum for 100% not-for-profit group buys run on products that you can't buy anywhere else. How's that possible? Because we created them! Banning these types of efforts would criple a portion of the DIY community...

n_maher, I understand exactly where you're coming from and obviously the portion of my original post that you quoted was intentionally on the dramatic side to make a point (where I had suggested that if I were Jude, I'd be tempted to ban all group buys). I'm quite sure that Jude would never do anything so draconian. In fact the small, totally not-for-profit DIY group buys will undoubtedly be one of the exceptions to the rules where the fees will minimal (or perhaps waived completely) and the moderation of those types group buys will be minimal as well - just enough to ensure that it's on the up and up and nobody is getting ripped off.

The main point I was trying to make is that we should all be thankful that head-fi exists in whatever way, shape or form. It is a very valuable in many ways and is free of charge. For several years, Jude absorbed all of the considerable expenses himself, and even today it is a break even operation at best. He's entitled to make whatever changes he feels are necessary to ensure that head-fi remains viable in the long run, and since he's an honest and even-handed person, I'm confident that whatever decisions he makes with regard to the group buy issue will be as fair as they possibly can be.

But, seriously, if I were in his position I'd be tempted to kill the group buys altogether if it became too much of a headache to administer. Ok, maybe I'd allow an exception for the small $ and totally not-for-profit group buys!
biggrin.gif
(Thankfully, a workable solution appears to be on it's way, so chances are great that group buys will live long and prosper.)

May 20, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #189 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
The main point I was trying to make is that we should all be thankful that head-fi exists in whatever way, shape or form. It is a very valuable in many ways and is free of charge. For several years, Jude absorbed all of the considerable expenses himself, and even today it is a break even operation at best. He's entitled to make whatever changes he feels are necessary to ensure that head-fi remains viable in the long run, and since he's an honest and even-handed person, I'm confident that whatever decisions he makes with regard to the group buy issue will be as fair as they possibly can be.

In this regard you and I are 100% on the same page.

Nate

May 22, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #190 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeyus
So is there going to be a group buy for the e4s? I mean the e4cs are out now.

But the chance is still there for the E4s which is what the majority of people wanted anyways?

Luke

^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back