What Frequency response for house/trance music ?
Jul 16, 2011 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

iLrr11x

New Head-Fier
Would an Analytical,Balanced,Bass,Mid, or Warm+Sweet sounding earphone be good to listening to and making trance/house music. Need lots of detail with good punchy bass. Thanks if u can help:)

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 32
I would lean towards a V shape signature personally for trance music.  Mids don't seem as important...  If you do have mids, they (from what I've noticed) hang towards the higher end of the mids.  So something that has a bigger emphasis on bass, treble, and maybe higher-mids (which is close to a V/U shaped sig).

More specifically with the bass, you want some bass body and texture.

This would be my personal preference though.  I have heard some trance, but don't listen to constantly.

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 32
Quote:
I would lean towards a V shape signature personally for trance music.  Mids don't seem as important...  If you do have mids, they (from what I've noticed) hang towards the higher end of the mids.  So something that has a bigger emphasis on bass, treble, and maybe higher-mids (which is close to a V/U shaped sig).

More specifically with the bass, you want some bass body and texture.

This would be my personal preference though.  I have heard some trance, but don't listen to constantly.

x2. While a V/U shaped sig is quite fit for trance, don't underestimate the importance of mids, as I once did. As an almost exclusive trance & progressive listener, I, at first, was under the misconception that bass is everything. It wasn't up until I discovered numerous top tiers that brought out all the nuances I never knew existed in the first place, and smacked me with a closed fist! I'd personally lean towards a sig that's closer to balanced than not, albeit one that boasts a powerful punch. I've encountered a countless number of vocal trance tracks where in ears that carry the aforementioned V/U shaped sig fail to do the mids justice, and leave much to be desired. On the opposite end of the scale, I've also encountered in ears which bring out the mids a tad too much, and steal the show altogether. Hence, instead of giving you the run-around, I'd honestly recommend paying attention to the mids, just as much as the rest of the spectrum. There are quite a few in ears that can achieve this. Of the ones I've heard, I tend to lean towards the ones without as little a midbass hump as possible. Hence anything that resembles the latest Atrio's, Sony EX series, or JVC's signature is one I'd say works wonders with trance! I'm currently listening to 4 Strings with my EX1000's coupled with the Zo amp, and I kid you not, music should NOT sound this good. It's simply mind boggling. All the best my friend!
etysmile.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 32
If you don't know what frequency response signature you're looking for, you really should start experimenting with an equalizer.  I see that you're also shopping for new earphones.  Personally I wouldn't care much about the out-of-the-box sound signature of the phones I get as I would just shape it to whatever I want with an EQ but if you don't want to / can't run the sound through an EQ from whatever you're playing music from, then you really need to pin down your sound signature preference before buying.

What phones are you using at the moment?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 17, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 32
JVC Marshmallows at £25, there really good for trance (in my opinion) but I would like just a very slightly less boomy bass with higher quality mids and trebles. I dont have the frequency response graph for the JVC's which would help so much because I know the sound signature that I need now, and I could compare the new earphones it to the JVC's.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 32
I am listening to electronic music (Deadmau5, Jaytech, Air, Junkie Xl...)
I've just received a pair of Dunu Trident i bought on ebay.....

Wowwwww for eveything, suprising, great stage, sound is amazing !
Little v-shapped but highly detailed soind for the price, take it really ! Eyes closed.
Gregory, Fr.

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 32

Quote:
I am listening to electronic music (Deadmau5, Jaytech, Air, Junkie Xl...)
I've just received a pair of Dunu Trident i bought on ebay.....

Wowwwww for eveything, suprising, great stage, sound is amazing !
Little v-shapped but highly detailed soind for the price, take it really ! Eyes closed.
Gregory, Fr.

That would be one good suggestion.  Others include ThinkSound TS02 (or mic'd if you need one), and DUNU Hephaes (DN-16) if you have the extra dough to spend.  The DN-16 is a small improvement over the Tridents with the clarity and details (if you need them).

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 32

Quote:
JVC Marshmallows at £25, there really good for trance (in my opinion) but I would like just a very slightly less boomy bass with higher quality mids and trebles. I dont have the frequency response graph for the JVC's which would help so much because I know the sound signature that I need now, and I could compare the new earphones it to the JVC's.

I haven't heard these, but from the Multi-IEM review:
"The overall sound is on the warm side and fairly smooth. Bass is strong and punchy, albeit lacking control. Low-end extension is surprising for a $10 earphone. Treble extension could be better but it’s still quite decent for the price. The Kramer mod (replacing the paper filter in the nozzle with a ball of foam) helps with treble quantity and overall balance – unmodded FX34’s are biased towards the low end. The midrange is obscured slightly by the bass at the low end but clarity isn’t too bad overall. Don’t expect $50 sound out of these, but they are quite good for what they cost. Their arch nemesis (at least in retail stores) are the similarly-priced Skullcandy Ink’d buds, which have better clarity and upper-end extension but lack the dimensionality and smoothness of the Marshmallows."

If this description is accurate then from your description it sounds like you should look for phones with a "balanced" frequency response, perhaps still on the warm side of analytical.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 18, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #9 of 32
Thanks for the help :) so basically I want earphones which still have a strong punchy bass but this time with control and texture, but also has clearer mids and trebles which acording to that review the JVC's are lacking ? I dont want to lose the bass, just want a much better 'quality' bass and better quality mids and highs, any ideas ?

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 32
The Philips SHE9700 are overall very good sounding IEMs with crisp, rich bass, clear mids and highs. Others IEMs are Sennheiser CX300, JVC FXC50, M2 and Sony XB40EX.

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #12 of 32

Quote:
Thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif
so basically I want earphones which still have a strong punchy bass but this time with control and texture, but also has clearer mids and trebles which acording to that review the JVC's are lacking ? I dont want to lose the bass, just want a much better 'quality' bass and better quality mids and highs, any ideas ?

While the JVC's mids could certainly use a slight push forward, with respect to the rest of the spectrum that is, they certainly aren't 'lacking'. In fact, a mere EQ adjustment brought out the mids just as I had hoped for with the JVC's, but they failed to win me over my beloved EX1000's. If it's much better 'quality' bass and better quality mids and highs which you're after, the Atrio M5 is well within your budget, and is an absolute no brainer IMO. Otherwise, the JVC is just as competent.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back