What Format is Your Music?
Mar 19, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #76 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can tell 320 from lossless. That said, I refuse to convert my music to Apple. I use iTunes and have an iPod. I haven't figured out how to fill it with flac. I don't need three different formats clogging up space, so I use .wav. If I could use flac on my iPod, I'd do that.

Even so, most of my listening is from my netbook setup. .wav allows me to do both and not have to duplicate my collection. If someone has a better way, I'd be very happy to listen. LoL
smily_headphones1.gif

I see from your sig that you have an iPod 5g which can be easily rockboxed. Once you put rockbox on it you can play flac files on it. You could even use foobar with the iPod plugin to sync your iPod since it seems your not a big fan of apple software
biggrin.gif

EDIT: BTW, to convert your wav to flac I suggest using the flac frontend. I find it converts much faster than DBPoweramp or any other software.

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #77 of 216
Mostly cd and some flac now that space is so cheap.
To convert to flac I just use winamp pro. Insert the cd in the drive, right click on rip audio and left click to accept then the whole thing is in flac format with all the tracks details entered and a folder created. Perfect for the lazy
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #78 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by ihrm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see from your sig that you have an iPod 5g which can be easily rockboxed. Once you put rockbox on it you can play flac files on it. You could even use foobar with the iPod plugin to sync your iPod since it seems your not a big fan of apple software
biggrin.gif

EDIT: BTW, to convert your wav to flac I suggest using the flac frontend. I find it converts much faster than DBPoweramp or any other software.

Hi,

Sorry, I have the 7g iPod currently. I had the 5g and ran out of space. If the iPod had a TB of space, none of this compressed or lossy stuff would be needed.

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #79 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it could be better in that reading from the computer would provide skip free playback, no loss of bits reading from a hard drive, whereas a cd is reading in real time.

Bits are bits, and as long as a buffer is properly implemented, then I highly doubt any "loss" of bits. Sounds incredibly implausible to me.

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #82 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bits are bits, and as long as a buffer is properly implemented, then I highly doubt any "loss" of bits. Sounds incredibly implausible to me.

Some CD players and CD drives don't read the CD in a bit-perfect manner. This is why Exact Audio Copy reads each sector multiple times until it gets two passes that "agree" with each other. The problem is exacerbated if the CD isn't in pristine condition.

A normal CD player reads each sector once, and has no guarantee that the data read is the data contained on the disc.

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #83 of 216
I have almost all (around 90%) in Apple Lossless and the rest in AAC (usually 320kbps which I encoded before venturing into high end audio) for iTunes/iPhone convenience, and a full backup in FLAC.

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #85 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by adiZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1400 CD's

erm. ok then. That's like $40k worth of CDs. I didn't know a person could like that much music
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #86 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm. ok then. That's like $40k worth of CDs. I didn't know a person could like that much music
confused_face(1).gif

I get my CDs for $10 or less mostly. A good portion preowned. Even double albums I don't pay that much. Even at $20k, I'd say why not? We're all here for the love of music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #87 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

bits are bits, you are correct, but the cd player will produce errors in reading, that a computer will not, because the cd player only reads each spot once, and then uses error correction. Whereas with a computer and EAC, you're getting an exact copy because it tries multiple times if it has to to get each sector correctly, and then reading from the hard drive will produce no errors whenever you want to play the the file.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #90 of 216
OMG look at that poll! No wonder people can't evaluate headphones correctly. They are running digital **** through them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back