What exotic instruments do you play?
Jul 26, 2005 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mysticaldodo

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm not sure whether I phrase it correctly, but any instruments which are not the popularly heard and seen (like piano/ guitar/violin)? Maybe something cultural (tabla, sitar, gu zheng, gamelan, etc..) or not so popular like the timpani or tuba.

I'm learning the Er Hu at the moment by my self. Its kinda of a 2 string violin and sounds like a fatter version of the violin. The Er Hu would probably be common in China but not in rest of the world so thats why I list it here
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 21
When I was a kid i loved playing the Korean Pidi - it's like a recorder made of bamboo, but instead of a mouthpiece, it's just open ended with a notch on the side that you blow through as if its a flute - darn hard to play but sounded reedlicious!

Edit - just googled it, check it out, they call it a P'iri there-

http://ailab.kyungpook.ac.kr/kmd/korea_music.htm

Lol All my life I thought I was playing the Pidi, but it looks like it's actually a Tanso - it fits this description far better than the P'iri-

"Tanso
The tanso is a small, notched, vertical bamboo flute with five fingerholes, one on the back. The tone quality is exceedingly pure and delicate, making it a favorite solo instrument."

Jul 26, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 21
Does a jug count?
eek.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 21
I played the baritone tuba for about two weeks. Probably the most disgusting instrument ever to be played by Man after the cowbell.

The instruments I still play are piano and guitar.

Jul 31, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG
I played the baritone tuba for about two weeks. Probably the most disgusting instrument ever to be played by Man after the cowbell.

The instruments I still play are piano and guitar.

exotic?
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 21
Gutbucket, washboard, spoons. In fact, I make a pretty penny providing a one-man band for hoedowns.
wink.gif

Seriously, though, while I noodle about on the bass guitar, my neighbor plays the lute and other "olde-tymey" instruments. Those are fairly exotic.

Jul 31, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #13 of 21
Baritone Ukulele

see ya
Steve

Jul 31, 2005 at 9:14 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
i am okay with the ondes martenot

When I first heard one of those, I thought that there was someone in the orchestra having a laugh!!! Sounded like someone was playing the saw with a bow. The guy playing then turned to me and said 'The oboe's a bit of an odd instrument as well isn't it?'. When I asked why, he told me that most oboists look like they're in pain when they play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back