What exactly is binaural?
May 5, 2007 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

ywd

100+ Head-Fier
And how does it pertain to headphones? It seems like some kind of surround sound in stereo type thing. Is any special equipment needed to use it? Headphones with a soundstage? (I have sr60s)

May 5, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 31
"two eared"

fwiw, the guy who pioneered stereo audio had envisioned (and experimented with) mixing techniques that would allow two speakers to reproduce the same audio experience as being in the same room as the musicians.

He never thought the music industry did it justice, and had envisioned "stereo" as something greater than "binaural"

Funny how things turn around.

May 5, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ywd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how does it pertain to headphones? It seems like some kind of surround sound in stereo type thing. Is any special equipment needed to use it? Headphones with a soundstage? (I have sr60s)

Binaural is a recording in which the mikes are placed in the exact place where the ears are, so that gives you the exact way you should hear the event recorded, with the soundstage and spacial distribution of the intruments the exact real life way, instead of a simulated distribution done on the console in the recording studio....

You can find more info here...

May 5, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at ericj's avatar, essentially they take a dummy head (for isolation and spacing) and put two omnidirectional microphones where the ears are. Then they record.

Ya, my avatar is an AKG D-99-C binaural microphone - aka "Harry".

fwiw i can't find a single positive review of the D-99-C. One engineer said it was great for making vocalists slightly uncomfortable.

May 5, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

So are binaural recordings only listenable on headphones?

No, though they would probably sound best with headphones.

May 5, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

So are binaural recordings only listenable on headphones?

Nope. They sound just fine on speakers, but you don't get the full effect without headphones. A real shame there are so few binaural studio recordings. The loudspeaker guys would by happy with them and headphone listeners would have multiple eargasms.

May 5, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 31
With proper speaker placement speakers mainly dual speakers no surround sound, will give you the whole experience the key is to know how to place speakers, you can basically get the same performance that you would with headphones, but headphone seem to produce the best reproduction of good recordings. On a related note there is just something about having open air without headphones and speakers cranking out music with light ambient living noise.

May 5, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #11 of 31
Check out the Binaural link in my sig....Some nice exmples there on how they sound and what they do. Don't know if you have already seen it but still.

May 5, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #12 of 31
Dead link

First one is great
blink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.holophonic.ch.nyud.net:80...Holophonic.mp3

May 5, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

What exactly is binaural?

Audio recorded with a dummy head, with microphones mounted where the ears are placed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back