What equipment do I need to support my first turntable?
Sep 1, 2010 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gaobi

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Thanks to all your tremendous help, I've decided to go with the Rega - P1 (w/ Ortofon OM5e) as my first turntable. Since I'm an absolute beginner, I wanted to know what equipment I need to buy in order to make this a great purchase.
  1. Should I stick with the stock cartridge or make an upgrade? I'm looking to just listen to vinyl record at home in my bedroom
  2. Audio advisor lists the Vincent Audio - PHO-111 as a recommended phonostage for the Rega-P1. Should I get it?
  3. Is a receiver necessary? If so, could you please give me some good suggestions? My budget for the receiver should be less than $500. EDIT: I plan to use my Logitech Z-2300 2.1 system for output
  4. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Since this is my first record player purchase, I'm trying to be as cautious as possible before I make the purchase. I'm really looking forward to listening to vinyls and I really do appreciate all of your help.

-mike

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 7
Looks like all you will need is this Furutech usb DAC with Phono stage...and the cans of your choice.

● USB & Analog Playback and Record multimedia audio system
● Connectivity: USB B Interface, Analog input/output RCA jack
● USB Playback Resolution : 24bit/96kHz
● USB Recording Resolution: 96kHz (Max) supports 32kHz/44.1kHz/48kHz
● Frequency response: 20Hz ~ 20kHz (40Hz: +0.5 dB, 15kHz:-0.5dB)
● SN ratio:-90dB (A-wtd) / Line Output
● Line Output Level: 1 Vrms
● Line Input Level: MC 0.5mV / MM 5mV / Line 1V
● Headphone Output Level: 80mW ( 32 ohm ) Max.
● Power Supply AC Adaptor Rating: AC 9V 0.5A
● Dimensions: 150 (W) x 111 (D) x 57 (H) mm 
● Weight: 650g Approx.

For about $500 US

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 7
You just need a phonostage. However, you should be able to find a receiver that has one built in if you want. Some of the vintage ones are well under $500 and excellent. That might be your best bet, especially if you want a receiver to drive speakers. The cartridge that comes with the P1 should be fine. Spend some time listening to it before you buy anything else.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
You just need a phonostage. However, you should be able to find a receiver that has one built in if you want. Some of the vintage ones are well under $500 and excellent. That might be your best bet, especially if you want a receiver to drive speakers. The cartridge that comes with the P1 should be fine. Spend some time listening to it before you buy anything else.

Could you give me some examples of these receivers?

Also I plan to use my Logitech Z-2300 2.1 system to connect to my record player (if this makes any difference). I can also choose to connect my speakers to my phonostage once I get the necessary wire converters...is this correct?

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Could you give me some examples of these receivers?

Also I plan to use my Logitech Z-2300 2.1 system to connect to my record player (if this makes any difference). I can also choose to connect my speakers to my phonostage once I get the necessary wire converters...is this correct?

Here
is an old NAD listed at Audiogon for $150.  Not a bad deal.  Here is a list of all receivers currently listed at Audiogon.  You'll find lots of other ones locally at thrift stores, Craigslist, etc.  Many of them have a phonostage, preamp, amp, and tuner built in.

I think your Logitech system is self-powered, right?  If so, then you wouldn't want to connect it to the speaker taps on a receiver.  If you did that, you'd send way too much power to the speakers and possibly harm their internal amp.  What you'd want is to find a receiver that has a tape loop or record out.  Then you'd connect the speakers to that, since it'll just send a line level out.  If you connected the turntable to the receiver, you'd be able to send the turntable's sound to the speakers.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:

Here
is an old NAD listed at Audiogon for $150.  Not a bad deal.  Here is a list of all receivers currently listed at Audiogon.  You'll find lots of other ones locally at thrift stores, Craigslist, etc.  Many of them have a phonostage, preamp, amp, and tuner built in.

I think your Logitech system is self-powered, right?  If so, then you wouldn't want to connect it to the speaker taps on a receiver.  If you did that, you'd send way too much power to the speakers and possibly harm their internal amp.  What you'd want is to find a receiver that has a tape loop or record out.  Then you'd connect the speakers to that, since it'll just send a line level out.  If you connected the turntable to the receiver, you'd be able to send the turntable's sound to the speakers.

Thanks a lot Uncle Erik! Could you give me a quick rundown of why a receiver would be advantageous over an external phonostage? Would I be able to hook up my desktop speakers to an external phonostage?

A lot of the information goes over my head sometimes so I have to be sure to clarify little details. So thanks for putting up with it :)

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Thanks a lot Uncle Erik! Could you give me a quick rundown of why a receiver would be advantageous over an external phonostage? Would I be able to hook up my desktop speakers to an external phonostage?

A lot of the information goes over my head sometimes so I have to be sure to clarify little details. So thanks for putting up with it :)

Mostly cost.  A receiver puts a lot of things into one package, and the old ones are mostly depreciated.  You can get a great deal on two channel receivers because everyone wants surround receivers today.  You'll get the phonostage, a radio and the ability to run speakers, which is a great combination for the price.

Separates are better when you want to invest in a system, fine tune and have some flexibility.  If you're not quite happy with one part, you can switch it for another.  If a good deal comes up on something you always wanted, you can swap it in and sell the old one.

I'm not sure if you could run a phonostage directly to your speakers.  It might work if there's a volume control on the speakers, otherwise they'll just play at the loudest volume.  You have to have a volume control somewhere between the two.  Still, I'd look at something with multiple inputs.  That way, you can hook up a CD player or a DAC to play through your speakers without having to unplug things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back