what eq do you use in your D2?
Jan 7, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 18
You can set the eq from the Jet Effects menu. MP enhance stands for MP3 enhance, I think. Don't know what met eq is though. Metric equaliser maybe.., er no Metal? I normally use Custom Eq and bump up each effect by a small amount, but you should try to see what suits you.

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 18
You can download the D2 Manual from the Cowon's website at COWON America

1. JetEffect
1. Equalizer
· settings or manually set 5 Band Equalizers(EQ).
· Preset EQ settings include Normal, Rock, Jazz, Classic, Pop, and Vocal. Each preset EQ can be edited to match user’s preference.
2. BBE -- BBE is the sound effect that provides clear music.
3. Mach3Bass -- Mach3Bass is the base booster that enhances super low-end bass.
4. 3D Surround -- 3D Surround provides three dimensional sound effects.
5. Stereo Enhance -- Stereo Enhance enhances stereo effect for fuller sound quality
6. MP Enhance -- MP Enhance: Sound effect that compensate for missing sound segments
7. Pan -- Pan adjusts the left and right volume balance.
8. Play Speed -- Controls the speed of music playback.

--------

So, as you can see, the manual provides some explanation, but overall is rather lacking in describing the features. MET, along with JAZ, VOC, etc. are just pre-programmed EQ settings that users can easily choose to use that, in theory, improve the sound of the different genres. But that's debatable...

Personally, I leave my EQ settings on NOR (normal) and all other effects off. I don't mess with it because whatever tweak seems to improve one artist/album does a disservice to a different artist/album. I've never used the other effects because I didn't notice a big difference with my initial testing. I might tinker around eventually, but flat/off seems fine for me.

Finally, you'll find a lot more comments on the functionality of the D2 on the forums at http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/, the fan site for Cowon. There's an entire forum sub-section dedicated to the D2... and a thread that discusses member's preferred EQ settings. Hope this helps...

AC

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #11 of 18
Well I chose the one called USR (user I guess).

For FLAC i go Flat EQ (with my sr225s as with se-210 -that lack a bit of bass I turned +2dB the 80Hz bar), BBE-2, Mach3bass-0, 3dsurround-0, stereo enhance-0, mpenhance off

For low bitrate mp3 <= 320kbps mpenhance on, EQ as:
80hz 0db
385hz -2db
1.1k -2db
3.2k 0db
11.7k -2db
BBE 2
M3B 3 or 2
3DS 0
STE 1 or 0

EDIT: I forgot to say that I use JetEffect presets to save my own EQ settings (You have 12 different slots to save them)

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #12 of 18
I must be a basshead or soemthing then looking at your replies. I've the equalizer at:

80hz +12
230hz +1
850hz -7
3.2khz +7
11.7khz +10

Then the BBE at 6 ?! :/ ................

That's into E530's too.....

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 18
You sure are a Basshead.
With the setting I have put above i get a pretty similar sound to my FLAC files with low bit-rate files. However some recordings sound better in FLAC, you can hear tiny details that make you look around the room to see what happened, or what fell
biggrin.gif

There is also a big discussion whether to put the EQ bars up or set them to values < 0

I have gotten better results lowering them and putting the volume of the player higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back