what else do I need to know about vinyl/turntables?
Dec 4, 2009 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

punkaroo

500+ Head-Fier
I bought a used Kenwood KD-2055 TT a few months ago, and I'm really happy with it. It came with a Grado Black cart. All I could find online from vinylengine was the service manual, but no users guide.

1) What is anti-skating and what should it be set to?
2) What kind of must-have accessories should one have with a vinyl setup? Aside from the obvious (brush, cleaning fluid)...what's worth buying: a counterweight? a mat?
3) How's my cart? Tonearm?

Anything major I need to know?

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 7
anti-skating is really the heaviness of the arm, preventing it from flying off on a bumpy/wavy record
your grado black cart is a good one, make sure the needle isnt really used. if so, its sometimes easier to buy a new cart since the needle costs almost as much. The cart and needle are what shape the sound (other than preamp and amp)

If your table doesnt have a mat or is incomplete, you need one, other than that you're all set. Happy spinning.

Dec 4, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 7
You should find the proper antiskate setting in the instructions for your cartridge. If you don't have them, ask TTVJ or give Grado a call.

You might want to consider a record clamp. I thought they were a pain at first, but have come to love them. If you haven't started cleaning records, Google for the various methods for washing records in the sink. It's cheap, effective and gives you a big sonic upgrade.

But other than that, if you're happy, that means it's time to start raiding garage sales and thrift stores for more vinyl.
smily_headphones1.gif
Be adventurous and buy anything that looks interesting. This is, without question, the best reason to own a turntable.

Dec 4, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #5 of 7
all-vinyl(dot)come is also a good place to look for cheap vinyl. I inherited a Technics SL-1200 from a friend who thought he was a 'DJ'. I don't spin at all but novelty of a records always keeps me on the lookout for people getting rid of old discs. It's fun!

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the info guys! I've seen those record clamps; I've seen them listed on eBay as records 'weights' too. They look kinda flashy
biggrin.gif

I bought a used Bette Midler record while in NYC and when I got around to playing it, only the edge of the record is warped! (So the first 1 - 2 tracks skip). Is there any way to fix this?

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 7
no, move on to better records. de-warping a record is really difficult and it usually screws 'em up (clamping them between glass and heating them in the oven). You usually end up with a mess or press dirt into the heated vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back