what earphones would you buy for $100-150?
Nov 27, 2010 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

bhome83

New Head-Fier
So my apple ipod earphones are dying on me.  I'm really new to buying earphones but want the best I can get for $100-150.  I listen to all types of music and would prefer earphones with an mic so i can take calls (for that day when verizon comes to the iphone...hopefully).    I'm not very tech savvy so any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks guys.

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 21
What kind of sound do you want? Something with good bass, mids, etc.

Also where are you located as prices vary by country and are you opposed to buying used

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 21
I'm not big into bass, I live in the USA. Pretty much I just want the music to sound the way it was intended to sound.  I have a lot of FLAC music so it would be nice to be able to hear the difference between mp3 and FLAC.  Not opposed to buying used but prefer brand new. 

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 21
I'd go with the Etymotic HF2 in that case. Also, I hope you're aware that the iPhone is not the only phone that supports mic'd stereo headsets.

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
So my apple ipod earphones are dying on me.  I'm really new to buying earphones but want the best I can get for $100-150.  I listen to all types of music and would prefer earphones with an mic so i can take calls (for that day when verizon comes to the iphone...hopefully).    I'm not very tech savvy so any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks guys.

Quote:  
I'm not big into bass, I live in the USA. Pretty much I just want the music to sound the way it was intended to sound.  I have a lot of FLAC music so it would be nice to be able to hear the difference between mp3 and FLAC.  Not opposed to buying used but prefer brand new.  

In the $100 to $150 range you would be a good candidate according to your requirements for the Phonak Audeo PFE (Perfect Fit Earphone) Earphone according to what you are asking for...wanting to hear music the way it was intended, earphone with a mic and you're not big into bass. They give you perhaps best clarity and precision in the sub-$150 earphone price range ...

Here it is and it comes in mic & mic less versions:
http://na.audeoworld.com/products/

Another earphone i would recommend is the Etymotic HF2 which comes with a mic and allows you to hear music the way it was intended. But I should let you know the Etymotics earphones go deep into the ear canal to get a good seal, I don't know if that bothers you...for some people it feels
uncomfortable. Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Earphones-Headset-Compatible/dp/B0012OP7HE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1290904927&sr=8-1-spell 

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 21
thanks guys for the help!  So if I were to go the etymotic route (still unsure how comfortable they would be if they dig in your ears so much) and wanted to save money and NOT go the mic route, which model would I get?  Also, does anyone know a retail store where you can actually try these earphones on?  I live in the Seattle, WA area and it would be nice to try them on before committing to buy them.   btw, im looking for in-ear monitors like my apple buds.

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #9 of 21
this apples:

or those?

The type of those in 1st pic are called "buds", the 2nd are refered to as "IEMs". The 2nd have to go into ear canal to sound "full". At first it may be unconfortable, but I think you'll get used to it quite quickly.

AFAIK there are cables with mic into which you can plug any headphone and use as headset. In that case you have many options. Eg some like Panasonic HJE900 very much, and they're said to be unbreakable.

pzdr

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 21
Hi bhome83. To answer your question "which earphones would you buy for 100-150" I will tell you what I did buy when I was in a similar spot as you. I had the apple buds which hurt my ears after wearing them for a long time - 30+ minutes. Perhaps they didn't hurt but they didn't feel good. I did some research here and around the web to see what other's thought were decent earphones in the $100ish price range. I rather quickly narrowed it down to the Klipsch Image S4i. I'm no expert on sound, electronics, music or any related topic but I know what I like and these earphones make me very happy when I am listening to music. I tend to listen to music by U2, CSN&Y, Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam and they all sound great to my ear through the S4i. I am also in the US and picked these up at a local retail store that would allow me to return them if I wasn't satisfied. These earphones have a Mic so that you can take calls from your iPhone. I am very happy I found these earphones. Probably worth a look for you.

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
So I'm trying to decide between HF2's and HF3's?  What is the main difference between the two?  can't decide if the price difference is worth going for the HF3's

There is only one difference - the HF3 has a full iPhone remote with volume controls while the HF2 only has a single button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back