What Earbud is best?
Apr 9, 2012 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Jlox1

100+ Head-Fier
Alright so to start off i'd like to say, I"M BLACK. I know this doesn't mean much here but let me explain. I love music so naturally I want to be able to listen to it the best I can for the lowest amount of money. I have like a little mini afro going one so when i wear my Shure SRH-750Dj's in the morning my hair is ruined. Thus I need a pair of EARBUDS to wear to school everyday. I only have about $20 to spend on Earbuds and my preference is not to have an IEM i don't like things all the way in my ear but just an earbud like a JVC GUMY but better AUDIO QUALITY! Thanks in Advance!

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 23
First of all.. I'm black too, and I don't see what that has to do with this thread.
As far as I know there aren't a whole lot of higher end "earbuds". They tend to be limited in the sound because of their lack of the combination of isolation and speaker size. I'm new however to the brands I don't carry at my store.  Have you tried the JVC Marshmallows? They're technically an IEM but have memory foam that doesn't go too far into your ears. My retail store in Canada sells them for 19.99 sometimes so i'd expect them to be reasonable elsewhere!

Hope this helps...

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #5 of 23
I second the Yuin PK3 recommendation. You'd have to double your budget, but for the money the PK3 are great earbuds.

You could also try the Sennheiser MX580/581. They are around the same price as the PK3 and some people think they sound much better than the PK3. The MX581 are slightly smaller than the MX580. There's also the Sennheiser MX470/471 with the MX471 being slightly smaller than the MX470. The big difference between the MX580/581 and MX470/471 is that the MX580/581 series have built-in volume controls in the cord.

You can find all of these earbuds for less than $40.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #8 of 23
I love my Sennheiser MX580 earbuds.It sounds so natural with great detail, with nice bass, midrange, and highs.  I noticed the price on these just surged, so they may be in the process of being discontinued. If so, I hope their replacement will be even better. The MX580 was under $25 a short time ago, and now it is $35+. The MX581 is still under $30 though. i haven't heard the Yuin earbuds. I still like the Sony MDR-E888 earbuds better than the MX580, however the E888 is very hard to find, and there are many fakes around.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 23
Man the Yuin's look pretty good but EVERYONE says the 580's are better, after reading the link H20Fidelity posted I think I want the  980's though. But thats 10x my current limit.

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
I honestly have like 200$ to psend but i'm saving it to get an EPIC 4G Touch. 

I've got 14 or 15 sets of different earbuds (Yuin, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, vintage Sony and Aiwa etc), and the MX980 is the overall best sounding one. I like all of the earbuds that I have, the ones I don't like I sell or give away, but the MX980 can sound like full size headphones in a way that most other earbuds cannot.

The MX980 has been discontinued and soon it might be difficult to get hold of them. You could always keep a lookout for second hand ones. Like this one in the UK: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sennheiser-MX-980-Headphones-/251032421875?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item3a72b2c5f3

Or from someone here on Head-fi.

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #14 of 23
The MX980 is probably one of the best earbuds made, however it is very large and is too large to fit many people. While the reviews of it all claim it is better than the MX580, none say that it sounds 6x as good, which is around how it is priced.Many who like the MX980 question whether it is worth the price. I doubt I would ever spend $200 for a single set of earbuds.  I think you will probably be quite satisfied with the MX580. I regret that I only bought one spare set of the MX580 when it was under $25. I should have bought 5 or 6 spares. When you find something you like at a low price, buying spares is a gamble. It might be discontinued and replaced by something better at the same or lower price, or it might be discontinued and then replaced by something worse at a higher price. When buying Sennheiser earphones, make sure you get them from a reliable source, as there are fakes around.

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #15 of 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back