What drove you to join this board?
Aug 23, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #16 of 31
Researching into the Koss ESP9 headphone. Lead to looking into electrostatic headphones in general (I couldnt afford a pair of speakers). I joined up, read through countless old threads, some dominated by figures you dont seem to see post any more like Mike Scarpitti.

Bought the ESP9, then later, the Stax 2020 system. After the Stax, I came out of my posting shell.

Its been acetastic since.

Aug 23, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #17 of 31
I was googling for some info on the Sony D-E905 PCDP and one of the first link that came up in my search lead me to this site. Upon signing up, the spending commenced almostly immediately on cans and vintage PCDPs.

Aug 23, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #18 of 31
Hmm let me find my first ever post here, one sec...ah found it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Hello all, I found this site through a google search - it looks like I just missed a great swap meet at Grado Labs - too bad, I live in the city too. On father's day (my first as a father, my boy is 4 months old) I was surprised by a 40 gig Ipod - what a great upgrade from my Nomad Jukebox! My 10 dollar sony wraparound blue buds weren't cutting it (no bass) and the new ipod buds were great for a while - but it seems a bit muddy. I read about Grados in a mag, and eventually I came here. After trolling here for a few days, I decided to get the Alessandro MS-1, and while I'm waiting I read a bit more and decided to go get that 7 dollar project case from Office Max and the 3 dollar rat shack flats - yep I VWAP modded them too. In fact, I bought rat shack mini flats for my ipod buds and vwapped them too - the buds sound the same tho to my untrained ear, oh well.

has anyone compared the modded rat shack flats to the stock comfies (i'm assuming they are coming with the ms-1s)? if not, i'll let you know if i hear any difference once my cans come
smily_headphones1.gif
- but as you might have figured out, i'm not much of an audiophile yet. so anyhow that's the background, and i look forward to posting and reading more here - i love my tunes!

Edit - oh yes, i also have a microphone pre-amp called a Tube MP that I use for my guitar, but i guess i could use it to listen to music, which I haven't tried yet. What do you think, will the Tube MP really make a difference from my ipod driving the ms-1?

Aug 24, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #22 of 31
I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD580.

I thought they sounded a little dull, started to research headphone amplifiers on the net.

Found this site.

Aug 24, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #23 of 31
This whole Head-fi thing for me is kind of a funny story with an irony of trying to save money, so here goes my tale:

It all started with MP3 player shopping. I wanted to buy a very cheap 1 GB mp3 player for the GYM and I was happy that I did get a $40 one from my diligent internet googles. Impressed that I saved money, I was also looking at other MP3 players out of curious boredom to see if I could find other bargains and eventually after more googling, I was reading about MP3 players and headphones at CNET.com. While I was reading their reviews about headphones, I became more and more intrigued. I then started reading reviews at Amazon.com and a reviewer mentioned the Totalbithead amp. I was even more intrigued and started googling this amp and voila!.....I discovered that headphone amps exist!

I then found out about the cmoy and pa2v2 and started to google them and wouldn't ya know, Head-fi comes up in the google search! After that, I was hit with a ton of bricks! It was like discovering a whole new universe.

After receiving the PA2v2, I was amazed that my MP3 rig was so much better than the average guy walking down the street. Then I bought the k501 and was really impressed.

Here's the irony:
Starting with trying to save money by buying the cheapest 1 GB MP3 player, and after a few googles and discovering the Head-fi board, I now am planning on saving money for the next couple of years to buy a Singlepower balanced Supra amp and a 2K source. I tell ya, I am now a victim of the disease!

eggosmile.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #25 of 31
Something that would sound just as good as the Bose triport, but cost way less...
9 months, 1500$ and 2000 posts later.... you have this hedious monster!
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #26 of 31
I had bought a pair of HD280 Pro on the recommendation of some folks at hydrogenaudio.org and came here to b**ch about how bad they sounded to me. Little did I know what I was in for by coming here and signing up
tongue.gif
. It's been great fun though, despite the wallet hits (many of which would just have gone to something unnecessary anyhow) so I'm not complaining.

Aug 25, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Hmm let me find my first ever post here, one sec...ah found it.

eek.gif

I had no idea till now that you joined around 2 years ago. I always presumed you have been hear like nearly a decade or something with that huge post count!

Aug 25, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
eek.gif

I had no idea till now that you joined around 2 years ago. I always presumed you have been hear like nearly a decade or something with that huge post count!

We all have to start somewhere. the only reason why i sound halfway like I know what I'm talking about is due to the awesome info and folks here, and gear and folks at meets! Don't pass up your chance to take advantage of both, it's fun!

Aug 25, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #30 of 31
I always wanted a nice pair of headphones so I broke down and purchased the HD600 from Headroom and was blown away. Then I began seeing that something called a "headphone amp" was needed for these to sound their best. That's when I began to Google and came upon....headfi. Picked up a Total Airhead and one thing led to another and voila...here I am today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back