What does your music collection LOOK like?
Feb 29, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #17 of 31
Here's my CD collection (picture taken a couple months ago, so there's more CDs now):
cdcollect.jpg

These Allsop CD racks are awesome!

As for my MP3 collection, I keep every album in a separate folder, "/artist - title/". Each track is named "XX - song.mp3", and beyond that I tag everything very well in Foobar2000.

Feb 29, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by bralack42
These Allsop CD racks are awesome!

Aaahhh, what a great coincidence: I've been looking for these racks for years! I had four of the original versions with individual "tongues," but then they disappeared from the stores (that I looked at, anyway). These will do just fine.

Thanks, bralack42!

Feb 29, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #19 of 31
I use simple itunes organization for music for my ipod (itunes does a great job at organization).

I constantly change the organization of my Cds. I generally organize by genre, or more accurately mood, but this is can be tricky and is always in flux. Like now, I keep all my laid back, groove oriented electronic type music in one area (e.g., Four Tet, Prefuse 73 and Herbert would be together). Jazz and classical are organized by their own respective genres.

Feb 29, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by James
Aaahhh, what a great coincidence: I've been looking for these racks for years! I had four of the original versions with individual "tongues," but then they disappeared from the stores (that I looked at, anyway). These will do just fine.

Thanks, bralack42!

Actually the version I have has the tongue things on the top and bottom, each the thickness of a CD case. When I bought it, I bought new through Amazon, although these appear to be out of stock now.

Mar 1, 2004 at 10:29 AM Post #22 of 31
i've got some shevling unit sthat are mostly filled with cds, and one shelf full of vinyl at the bottom.

mp3s are generally kept on my hard drive until i have quite a few then they are burnt off onto cdr.

my mp3s are organised into folders that look like "Artist.Name_Album.Title" and i make sure all the tags are nice and snazzy by using tag and rename

Mar 1, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #23 of 31
most of the time 30% of my collection is lent to people, 10% is somewhere in the house, and the rest somewhere in my room. i used to convert some cds into hq mp3s but gave up on that cause i'm just too lazy. also, imo cds have more style...that is also why take care of them so much....or not

Mar 2, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #24 of 31
LP's in alphabetic order by artist. Reel-to-reel tapes are numbered with an index for each numbered tape. The tapes are stored numerically. Cassettes in alphabetic order by artist. CD's in storage cabinets; pop, rock and country in one, classical and band in a second. Pop, rock and country in alphabetic order by artist. Classical and band in alphabetic order by composer.

Mar 5, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by dmkozak
LP's in alphabetic order by artist. Reel-to-reel tapes are numbered with an index for each numbered tape. The tapes are stored numerically. Cassettes in alphabetic order by artist. CD's in storage cabinets; pop, rock and country in one, classical and band in a second. Pop, rock and country in alphabetic order by artist. Classical and band in alphabetic order by composer.

I am humbled. OTOH, I did post this in the "Portable Audio" forum ....
wink.gif
Oddly enough, my scheme for organizing CDs is the same as yours, but when I put it on my MP3 players I do it by album. Never thought of that, hm.

Do you still play your tapes? What on?

Mar 5, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #27 of 31
I have a prefectly organized collection of about 3500 legal songs (I own the cds for them). .flac is teh ownage.

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 5, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #28 of 31
Try to picture this....

I am seriously running out of space for my CDs/SACDs.

I store all of my English-language CD/SACDs on a 240 disc capacity wood CD spinner by CaseLogic. It's reaching its limit; I don't think I have room for another 5 CDs.

My Chinese-language CD/SACDs are stored in four separate CD racks, each holding approximately 120-160 discs. The 160 CD racks are rosewood in color while the 120 disc racks were purchased from Tower Records and are unfinished. And those are pretty much filled as well.

I have also 300+ albums on cassettes, stored in 2 120-tape capacity tape carrying case from CaseLogic plus another one with 60 tape capacity.

Vinyl records are stored in acid-free poly boxes purchased from Bags Unlimited.

Mar 5, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #30 of 31
I use the Boltz racks and it keeps everyting together nicely in one place. As I listen to a new CD for the first time, it gets placed in alphabetical order with the rest of them. There are several shelves of CD's that have never been listened to, yet I'm always going back to my favorites as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back