What does/will it take to satisfy you??? (long)
Apr 26, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
It helps if you just don't have any money, as is my case.

Amen to that. It put a pretty abrupt end to my upgrading.

To be honest, i don't NEED to upgrade. One look at my sig will tell you that i've been pretty lucky in getting more or less whatever gear i've wanted in the past.

Surely though, there has to come a time when one draws the line and says "i'll stick with what I have". Perhaps sometimes, having the best there is might not be so much fun at all. If you have the absolute best then where do you go from there?

For the meantime, i'm enjoying kicking back and listening to what I have and mining my record collection for those overlooked and forgotten gems.

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by genetic
Does your analysis apply to girlfriends?
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

You tell me. How many girls have you decided to keep forever?

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #34 of 46
i honestly believe that my last headphones will be my cd3k's... unless i win the lottery
orphsmile.gif
and that my source will stop at a modded ce775. after that... well i am pretty sure that my amp will end at the perreaux... but im going to ask mikhail in a while if i could maybe demo a ppx3... and as for portable... i might look into trading my iHP, and maybe picking up some e5c's... but i swear, i think the cd3k's will be it for home phones :O
tongue.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomek

Three so far, one's still around!
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #36 of 46
It will take the arrival of the new CDP and headamp to at least knock the upgradititus bug into submission. (Er, remission.) Then, a little tuberolling of the CDP to find just the right sound I'm looking for, and then I should have it beaten until around June of 2006, which is the next scheduled trip to the states.

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomek

Considering the present one: until SHE decide to upgrade...
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

P.S. At the risk of sounding a bit like Tuberoller, when I «opened the box» for the first time what I saw made me almost believe in God...
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #38 of 46
Yeah, since I can't really upgrade, I've been just re-discovering my music. Try it sometime, for any gadget whores out there. It should keep you occupied for months.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 27, 2004 at 10:25 AM Post #39 of 46
Begin long rant>>>
Before entering this addict driven website/community, I had absolutely no clue as to how much I'd be investing into this hobby. For the first year it took a lot of experimenting to be able to find out what I liked best and in what price category it was going to be in. Viewing this from the outside, it seemed that I had a very bad case of upgraditis. But quite the opposite was true. Being that the majority of headphones are hard to audition outside of meets (which are few and far between), it takes time to find a can that suits ones personal preference. One must learn to undertake the ability to be able to control patience when entering this hobby (the same goes for any other hobby), which I've learned to do very well throughout the last 1 1/2years

I'm going to take the side that says this goal we all try to reach will never end. This personal opinion of mine is based on long term or life long audio goals that we all seem to inevitably aim for. The day it all officially ends is, well, when we "kick the bucket." As of now, I don't have the desire to upgrade for various reasons. One being money...it will be a very long time before I can afford something like an R-10. Because I will most likely remain in this price category (HD650/Rega 2000/HR Cosmic price range) I only see any change as being exactly that, a change rather than an upgrade. For instance, going from a HR Cosmic to the soon to be released Ray Samuels portable amp, is what I see as a change and not an upgrade. The only time I've seen a true upgrade in my system is from going to all my previous headphones (V6/MDR F1/ATH-W1000/HD600, which were all changes and not upgrades regardless of price IMO), to the HD650 with of course a better source. Before all that, it was simply a matter of trial and error. And with all those previously owned headphones, I could tell within a month or so whether I liked them enough to permanently keep them. Despite all of them being good in their own ways, I could always concentrate on one aspect that I didn't like, and that obviously bothered me...not enough to cut out the music, but enough to want to explore other options. With the HD650, I honestly cannot identify anything I do not like about them. Sure there are things I wish they did a tinsy bit better, but there's a difference between the negatives out-weighing the positives, and the positives out-weighing some extremely slight negatives. Simply put, I'm very happy with everything about my rig. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss...which I might have to put into use when attending the next meet. Another detering factor about upgrading from the point I am currently at is the diminishing returns rule. Spending 4x's as much as I've invested in my current setup just to acheive very slight improvements, does not attract me one bit. It is only when I have the money to more freely spend that I will begin to disregard and overlook the "laws" of diminishing returns.

Right now, all I can think about in terms of improving my audio system is to be able to buy more music. I am at the point in which all I need to do in order to become satisfied/blissfully happy, is immerse myself in the music. If I am ever going to consider an "upgrade" it will again most likely not be an "upgrade," but more accurately, a change of pace. Being able to afford anything along the lines of an R-10 or high end Stax is so far ahead into my future that it is not even worth worrying about.

But since there is always that possibility of running into a butt-load of money (whether by winning the lottery, or by receiving an anonymous check in the mail
confused.gif
), I am forced to chalk one up to the "never ending spiraling vortex of terror" category. Luckily, as I've already pointed out, I am the type of person who doesn't really worry about stuff too far down the road.

Apr 27, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeplin
... it takes time to find a can that suits ones personal preference. One must learn to undertake the ability to be able to control patience when entering this hobby (the same goes for any other hobby), which I've learned to do very well throughout the last 1 1/2years
...Another detering factor about upgrading from the point I am currently at is the diminishing returns rule. Spending 4x's as much as I've invested in my current setup just to acheive very slight improvements, does not attract me one bit. It is only when I have the money to more freely spend that I will begin to disregard and overlook the "laws" of diminishing returns....
Right now, all I can think about in terms of improving my audio system is to be able to buy more music. I am at the point in which all I need to do in order to become satisfied/blissfully happy, is immerse myself in the music. ...

Exactly my sentiments! Well put Zeplin. I haven't come across any equipment that has made me want to go nuts over my lowly system yet except when I read reviews here
biggrin.gif
I belive Adorno has said something like that he preferred the sound of Beethoven's symphony in his head while looking at the pieces over listening to the real thing. Perhaps that's what's happening when I read the reviews?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #41 of 46
Move to a foreign country where custom duties are high and prices for audiophile stuff are outrageous.
biggrin.gif

That would be me in a few months when I move home to Thailand. <Sad> That's why I'm on a "acquiring spree" right now. I'm almost done with putting together my "permanent" rig. This should be my last upgrades for 2-3 years... or at least until I find a way to get stuff for cheap.

Apr 27, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ticky
Move to a foreign country where custom duties are high and prices for audiophile stuff are outrageous.
biggrin.gif

That would be me in a few months when I move home to Thailand. <Sad> That's why I'm on a "acquiring spree" right now. I'm almost done with putting together my "permanent" rig. This should be my last upgrades for 2-3 years... or at least until I find a way to get stuff for cheap.

It could be a lot worse Ticky, just thank your lucky stars that you're not moving to the UK. Thailand is a very beautiful exotic place.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Apr 28, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ticky
biggrin.gif

Been there, done that, applaud your foresightedness in buying stuff like you are. Every single trip to the states for us means loading up on everything we can to bring in the luggage. It isn't a great system, and far too often nice stuff comes out that you want, but can't get.

Apr 28, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harty
It could be a lot worse Ticky, just thank your lucky stars that you're not moving to the UK. Thailand is a very beautiful exotic place.

Yes... but I live in Bangkok, which is quite congested and polluted. I always thought you UK folks have some of the best hi-fi brands in the world... B&W, KEF, Whafedales, etc., etc.

I suppose there is some truth to this Chinese saying, "The moon always seems rounder in a distant land."
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
So, after all that rambling, here is my question: How bad do you have upgraditis, and what did it take to cure you? When did you feel like you didn't have to upgrade for an extended period of time (at least a few months)?

My upgraditis is less bad than it was a few months ago. I have a PPX3 arriving on Friday, and I know I will be set on an amp for a while although I may get into tube rolling. I love my HD600s with Oehlbach cable and although I may get some lower-end cans to compliment them, the HD600s will remain my premium headphones for a while. My Terratec EWX 24/96 soundcard sounds quite nice and I really have no dissatisfaction with it. I may add an external DAC later, but I have no compelling need to right now. My home-built interconnects sound fine so I don't need to replace them at all.

Basically, I can see where I might have an upgrade path for some components but I just don't have any compulsion to do so anytime in the near future. I have been waging the Head-Fi wallet war for over a year and a half and I am finally coming to a point where I can say "That's it, I like that sound!" My wallet is tired and so am I. Time to listen to the music...
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back