What does/will it take to satisfy you??? (long)
Apr 26, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #16 of 46
I'm satisfied at the moment. I won't bother spending unless it's for the best digital source (DAC). I've got all the other bases covered.

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #18 of 46
It helps if you just don't have any money, as is my case. Currently, though, I'm pretty happy with FLAC --> FB2K --> Chaintech AV-710 --> AD832AN powered CMoy --> HD 280 Pro. Been rediscovering my music all over again lately. So many details were lost with the SB Live!.

And, of course, I'm a [the] proud member of Team Duncan-Itis. Currently got a D-141, D-E551, D-33, and AZ6832/17. Out of these, the 6832 is the only decent sounding one. 33 isn't that bad, I suppose, but skips if you look at it wrong. E551 used to be my only option for travelling, due to the ESP2, but the 6832's Digital Servo Processing does a dang good job.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #19 of 46
After many hours of listening to my Omega II's, I feel satisfied with their general sound. I am however hurting in the source department. I'll be upgrading my source in the next couple months. I'm hoping that'll be it for me. The Omega II's truly are an awesome headphone.

Trevor

btw: I need good mains conditioning as well. The mains are terrible here.

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #20 of 46
I am near the summit. I just need to send my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi to ModWright LLC for these specific modifications:

Standalone Multi-Channel Mod
Level II Transport Mod
LC Audio SuperClock X03 with Clock Supply Mod
Power Supply Mod

I'll get them in late May or early June 2004. Afterwards, I'm done for the next two to three years. That doesn't mean I won't get something else at all but all of my major upgrades (and spending) on audio equipment will be over. Thereafter, I'll start buying more music in different formats via Half.Com. That's my strategy and I'm sticking to it.

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #21 of 46
There are two types of 'satisfied':

1) You state "I am done upgrading after I get a new <insert component here>" - this means you're far from done, despite your belief
frown.gif

2) You state "I am really satsified with my system right now, I feel no need to upgrade anything" - this means you are satisfied, for now. Give it a month, two months, six months. You'll come crawling back.

I'm firmly lodged in the second camp right now. It's been a couple months since I've made any changes to my headphone rig - but it'll happen. Sometime, someday when I least expect it. Upgraditis is an incurable disease.

-dd3mon

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #22 of 46
I have been satisfied for a couple months...selling off my excess stuff, enjoying what I have, haven't bought anything new. My only real foreseeable upgrade in the future is a Rega Planet for a source, maybe a Gilmore Lite. As for now though, my system is staying the same, and I feel rather devoid of any upgraditis. Was it being gone from Head-Fi for almost a month? Maybe. In the interim I had only the music to focuse on and that's what I've been doing since.

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:41 AM Post #23 of 46
It ends when I either find what it takes to satisfy my (headphone-related) needs, or when I run out of money. I think that I'll fulfill the former before getting close to the latter.

D.

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd3mon
Upgraditis is an incurable disease.

-dd3mon

Isn't that the truth!!!

I think anyone that says that they're done are in denial. Face the facts Jack, you'll never stop upgrading!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:15 AM Post #25 of 46
I think I have the headphones covered well enough (ATH-L3000, ATH-W2002, ATH-W11JPN, HP-2, PS-1, ATH-EW9, MDR-D77)

but my amp needs to be upgraded to one that is a better match for my cans (currently a grace 901)... and I would like a standalone universal player as a source (currently have a RME HDSP 9632 sound card as a source)... and power conditioning (don't trust the circuits in this old apartment, so I am about to get a P300 and I will be set)... and of course I will most likely need some connectors (power and IC) on top of that.

I've still got a ways to go....
tongue.gif
maybe the headphones still need expansion. might as well get some high end sony cans or something since I am changing the rest of the components.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #26 of 46
With how intelligent most of the people are here, I'm surprised that so very few of you have realized that upgraditis has nothing to do with 'audio goals' and everything to do with internal mechanisms and the infinite choices out there.

The only people who say they've stopped upgrading are the ones with the most expensive headphones, ie orpheus, omega II, r10s. And then they still talk about getting a new source, amp, etc etc.

Pick up the April 2004 Scientific American. It has a great article about how we are faced with a greater amount of choice as consumers nowadays but we are less happy than we've ever been. The gist of the article is that the satisfaction we can get from a purchase will always be outweighed by its opportunity cost and the cost of researching it. You'll always wonder what else is out there, and the happiness and excitement a purchase gives you initially can never be maintained, so you start to think something is wrong and you need to uprgrade again.

How to stop upgraditis? Well, if you think that there is a piece of gear out there that can stop you from upgrading, you're going about it the wrong way. You'll always become habituated to it, somethign new will always come out, something else will catch your interest.

We've almost all of us hit a level of fidelity that is miles ahead of where we all started with our first pair of cans, but until you realize that upgraditis is internalized, and that you'll always get accustomed to what you have, you'll keep spending and spending and never be satisfied.

This place is a big magnifying glass being held to the part of our psyche that seeks to be happy from owning posessions.

ick.

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harty
I think my upgrade cure will be Mariah Carey singing sweet nothings in my ear, naked of course.
icon10.gif

Best wishes,

Paul.

That's a complete system allright!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I'd love to press that play button
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomek
With how intelligent most of the people are here, I'm surprised that so very few of you have realized that upgraditis has nothing to do with 'audio goals' and everything to do with internal mechanisms and the infinite choices out there.
(...)
How to stop upgraditis?
(..)
but until you realize that upgraditis is internalized, and that you'll always get accustomed to what you have, you'll keep spending and spending and never be satisfied.

Does your analysis apply to girlfriends?
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by meech
That's a complete system allright!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I'd love to press that play button
wink.gif

If only our dreams could become a reality, failing that, Mariah could be reading this and take pity on us.
tongue.gif

Best wishes,

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back