What does the word "pop" mean to you?
Jul 8, 2007 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

DrBenway

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been posting in the thread entitled "Is Rock n Roll Nearly Dead?" I keep reading posts in which people refer to "pop" music. My post, quoted below, sums up my frustration with the use of this term.

I have seen the word "pop" used to describe everything from Frank Sinatra to the Ramones. It is a completely useless word, because it has no fixed definition. Were the Beatles a rock band? A pop group?

The word "pop" is absolutely meaningless as used in current discourse.

O.K. Head-Fiers, let's define this term!

What is pop music? How is pop different from rock or jazz? Were the Ramones a "pop" group? How 'bout the Beatles? Chuck Berry? Run-DMC?

Rave on, my friends!

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pop -> Popular Music

So Nirvana, The Carpenters, Public Enemy, and Sinatra are all "pop" musicians? I'm still wondering what this means.

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 83
^ Nope, thats Rock, hip hop, etc.

Quote:

Within popular music, "pop music" is often distinguished from other subgenres by stylistic traits such as a danceable rhythm or beat, simple melodies and a repeating structure. Pop song lyrics are often emotional, relating to love or dancing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_music

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 83
Quote: Within popular music, "pop music" is often distinguished from other subgenres by stylistic traits such as a danceable rhythm (like house, disco, hip-hop or techo?)

Quote: Or beat (Please. Almost all music has a beat)

Qoute" Simple melodies (like punk or disco? Is that pop?)

Quote: Pop song lyrics are often emotional, relating to love or dancing.(Emotional lyrics? Pick almost any genre mentioned here, and this applies to it. Electronica? House? Techo? Disco?. This applies to all forms of vernacular music. And to most classical lieder as well.)

My point is that the term "pop" is lazy and meaningless. Still think so, after reading these posts.

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonHawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
along with "pop" I never understood what "alternative" music was...
alternative to what? good music? hahah

Yep, another abusively bad term. Before alternative was alternative, back in the 80s, new rock/electronic mucic was called "new music." Which led me to wonder what it would be called after a decade or three?

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #10 of 83
DrBenway. Don't forget that the word "Pop / Popular Music" date back to the 1950, when there was nothing such genres as house, disco, hip-hop, rap, techno, trance, chillout, punk, etc.

With all these new genres there are no longer a clear line between what's "Pop" music or not.

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 83
IMO, pop is music distinguished by a strong sense on rhythm, drums/guitar-based instrumentation, love-based lyrics that are most often shallow, and an aim for a mainstream audience.

Or, if you want to go tongue-in-cheek, pop is music made by clean-shaven white boys.
icon10.gif

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #12 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, pop is music distinguished by a strong sense on rhythm, drums/guitar-based instrumentation, love-based lyrics that are most often shallow, and an aim for a mainstream audience.

Or, if you want to go tongue-in-cheek, pop is music made by clean-shaven white boys.
icon10.gif

Other than the "mainstream audience" part, you could be describing Chicago Blues. Not pop music.

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #13 of 83
Double post; please disregard. I need to go to sleep.

Jul 8, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #14 of 83
Difficult question to really answer, imo.

I think of pop sort of what I think of indie - an attribute as opposed to any specific musical style. Indie bands are bands of any sort that are on independent labels, and pop bands are bands of any sort that are highly popular and well known throughout all social circles.

Jul 8, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #15 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonHawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
along with "pop" I never understood what "alternative" music was...
alternative to what? good music? hahah

Alternative to the pop crap on the radio that is forced down our throats so the scumbag execs can get rich. Got it? Good.

Pop to me is mamby pamby music for the sheeple. I don't care what anyone else's definition is of it. I am the center of the universe, not you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back