what does the "Use 64-bit ASIO Drivers" in foobar2000 do?
Feb 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

darkfireblade25

100+ Head-Fier
I recently updated the horrendously old ASIO4all plugin for foobar and noticed there was that option to turn on the 64-bit driver. Idk if it's for compatibility for 64 bit systems because it runs fine on my 64 bit Windows 7 without it checked. I did notice everything got smoother but I'm not sure if i'm imagining it. What exactly is it for?

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 7
I think it is possible that some equipment may only work with a 64-bit ASIO driver.  A 64-bit version may perform better.
Are you certain that there is a difference?  I would expect them to sound identical.
Hopefully somebody can enlighten us.

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 7
The asio 64bit drivers are for programs that are 64bit. Some programs supports both 32bit and 64bit, so you can use the 64bit driver if you have that for those programs. While others that support 32bit, you would use the 32bit drivers.  I not sure on the difference between the drivers. But I sure the difference is either miner or a tad difference.

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 7
Since ASIO4ALL isn't a real driver but a software wrapper, it's basically meant to improve performance on 64-bit systems by running as a native 64-bit application. This because if they were actually drivers, you wouldn't be able to install 32-bit drivers on a 64-bit OS, nor the other way around.

If we go to the VST area, things get trickier since a 64-bit VST Host supports 64-bit VSTs but only some 32-bit ones, while a 32-bit VST Host only supports 32-bit VSTs.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 7
Has the difference between 64bit vs 32 been talked about more? I can't seem to find a definitive thing on this. I am curious as to which setting makes it have less latency, less possible errors, etc... even if the sonic difference may not be immediately apparent assuming both work on your system.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 7
Has the difference between 64bit vs 32 been talked about more? I can't seem to find a definitive thing on this. I am curious as to which setting makes it have less latency, less possible errors, etc... even if the sonic difference may not be immediately apparent assuming both work on your system.
why would you care for less latency in foobar? aside from trying to increase the chances for errors, I fail to see the point.

about asio4all, I also tend to fail to see the point TBH. if a DAC has asio drivers, then using them will usually be preferable to using asio4all. and if the DAC doesn't have asio drivers, what's the point? I would rather go for wasapi instead of an "ersatz" faking asio behaviors for no specific reason.
don't get me wrong, I can see reasons to wish for low latency and reasons to fool our gears into thinking we're using asio, I actually have such needs myself sometimes. but not while using foobar into a DAC for amateur music playback.

as for the 64bit option, I don't know I haven't tried(I haven't used asio4all for a few years). but most of the time when something exists in both 32 and 64bit, one of the main differences is that the 64bit may be a little more gentle on CPU usage for 64bit OS.

Jun 17, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 7
I'm not using asio4all. I'm using fooasio. It is great because its one universal setting for dsd and pcm that is configured the way lhlabs recommended for my geek out. It also works great for jriver and is once its set for foobar, its also automatically set the same way systemwide when used. It is the most skip free output I've used on my system that plays dsd as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back