what does the HD650 do well?
Apr 15, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #46 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems a bit odd for a machine made headphone to have such crazy variance. Unless you have experience with many K701, I would suggest that, bar for basic tolerances in manufacturing, the K701 is not to the taste of many.

I have.
P1010094-1.jpg

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #47 of 99
^ Hahahaha...Nice!

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #48 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me the 650 is like a high performance BMW, it does everything really well but still looks understated and never shouts in your face.

Its the ability to not be able to pinpoint one particular trait that makes this headphone so great in my opinion.

Its all things to all men.

Sorry but I must disagree. The Senn 650 is not all things to me ! I no longer own mine as I sold them on in favour of the AKG K 702. The reason being that on light acoustic stuff I found the Senns hopeless. They muddied it to such an extent that I didn't want to listen any more. Sure they have more bass than the AKG but that bass is responsible for the mud.
IMO the AKG is a better all rounder. It has a great soundstage and razor sharp detail and clarity. It plays ALL music types well. I also needed a closed back 'phone so went for the Denon 2000. This has got fantastic bass but it suffers the same problem as the Senn, mud on the lighter stuff. I now use the Denon for rock etc and the AKG for everything else. In the price range , if I had to choose just one it would be the AKG without doubt. It never ruins anything. And by the way, I did amp the 'phones properly. Someone else , on another thread , said the Senn mud was only a problem when not amped properly. I am sorry to be so blunt but that is just rubbish. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying the Senns are not a good 'phone, they are. But they are not great on light acoustic stuff.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #49 of 99
I found the HD650 not bad for metal/rock,but the problem is that they have no punch to them. in metal,you usually want to hear the bass drum kicking and the HD650 simply don't give you that. besides,they are excellent headphones, very balanced sounding. I love them the most with classical music.
the D5000 are much more fun for metal/electronica IMO, but they are far from being a balanced sounding headphone...I love them for almost everything but i am a big fan of coloured sound... you may get dissapointed in some genres. if you could try them first it will be best.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #50 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And by the way, I did amp the 'phones properly. Someone else , on another thread , said the Senn mud was only a problem when not amped properly. I am sorry to be so blunt but that is just rubbish. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying the Senns are not a good 'phone, they are. But they are not great on light acoustic stuff.

Do provide the model of your amp. Trust is a difficult thing on this forum.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #51 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the AKG is a better all rounder. It has a great soundstage and razor sharp detail and clarity. It plays ALL music types well. I also needed a closed back 'phone so went for the Denon 2000. This has got fantastic bass but it suffers the same problem as the Senn, mud on the lighter stuff. I now use the Denon for rock etc and the AKG for everything else.

in true god damn head-fi style, I had already considered this before reading your post
rolleyes.gif

I think I'm pretty much set on the D2000's now, I have found them for a great price and they should suit for alot of the genres I like, I tend to find myself listening to RnB Hip Hop and electronica mostly. But then since the D2000's are £200 I will have £200 left over from my revised budget and I'm seriously considering the K702's also for £210. Or..I could of course buy the D2000's for most genres, and for everything else just..you know..make do with my JH13's
rolleyes.gif
lol.

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #52 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in true god damn head-fi style, I had already considered this before reading your post
rolleyes.gif

I think I'm pretty much set on the D2000's now, I have found them for a great price and they should suit for alot of the genres I like, I tend to find myself listening to RnB Hip Hop and electronica mostly. But then since the D2000's are £200 I will have £200 left over from my revised budget and I'm seriously considering the K702's also for £210. Or..I could of course buy the D2000's for most genres, and for everything else just..you know..make do with my JH13's
rolleyes.gif
lol.

get the D2000 first,see how you like it...maybe you will not want the AKG's in the end. if you still fell that you want a compliment to the D2000 you can always get the AKG's...or the senns.
from reading this post,it DO seem that the D2000 are right for you. another idea is instead of getting both phones,shell all your money on the D5000..only something to think about.

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #53 of 99
@Packmantravis:
Thanks for the links on the DIY Markl mod less than a day but still three pages ago.
wink.gif

I'll look into it, doesn't seem too difficult to do and I wouldn't need to ship off my cans to the States. Not sure if I want to do it yet though as I don't want to alter the sound of my cans completely. I found some threads where others were concerned about that, I'll read up on it. I did order the J$ pads from Headroom already, will see what those can do to the bass.
And I ordered a Silver Dragon for my 650, depending on the results I may order one more for the D7000 and solder it in myself.

Meanwhile I'll read up on the HD650 vs K701 battle here.
popcorn.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #54 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do provide the model of your amp. Trust is a difficult thing on this forum.

They went on a Graham Slee solo, A musical fid X can and a Yulong Dah1 Dac headphone amp. All three of which have enough grunt to power the 650 and the Akg which despite its figures is a very inefficient ''phone. The AKG never gets blurred on these amps.

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #55 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get the D2000 first,see how you like it...maybe you will not want the AKG's in the end. if you still fell that you want a compliment to the D2000 you can always get the AKG's...or the senns.
from reading this post,it DO seem that the D2000 are right for you. another idea is instead of getting both phones,shell all your money on the D5000..only something to think about.

but I've read a fair amount of the D2000 vs D5000 (I stayed up till 3am last night..groan) and it seems quite a few members prefer the musicallity of the D2000's to the D5000's and overall prefer them, and a markl modded D2000 is near if not just as good as a D5000...as I understand it D5000's are D2000's with a different (wooden) housing..hell..I'm not paying double the price for wooden housing! Another aspect to look is its a D2000 + a pmillet miniMax kit
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #56 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I've read a fair amount of the D2000 vs D5000 (I stayed up till 3am last night..groan) and it seems quite a few members prefer the musicallity of the D2000's to the D5000's and overall prefer them, and a markl modded D2000 is near if not just as good as a D5000...as I understand it D5000's are D2000's with a different (wooden) housing..hell..I'm not paying double the price for wooden housing! Another aspect to look is its a D2000 + a pmillet miniMax kit
wink.gif

except for the wooden cups you get also better cable. for me,the price was justified. I am sure you will be happy with the D2000 too,I would.
like you said,you can mod them if you want...change the cable,change the cups, but if the price of modded 2000 goes beyond the stock D5000 than maybe the stock 5000 is still a good buy imo.

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #57 of 99
I really hate the fact that I've just stumbled upon the ATH-W1000X's for £400, they look amazing. Just trying to gather some sound impressions...

edit: I think maybe they wouldn't suit..

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #58 of 99
oh great and then I find the Ultrasone PRO 900's for £300...
big controlled bass, extremely good detail and decent soundstage, recessed mids though. Anyone had a listen of these? maybe vs the Denons?

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #59 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure anyone not into classical/orchestral can really appreciate the HD650. This is where it excels, and this I believe is what it was voiced for. I know a lot of rock fans will be saying, hey, the 650 is great on my music, and maybe so, but that's not its strength.

People talk about "fun" cans, but I don't see the 650 as a "fun" can at all. The 650 isn't a pub gig; it's a Shostakovich symphony, and if you don't know who Shostakovich is (as John Lennon once said, "Who the **** is Shostakovich?!), then you haven't heard the 650 in its intended millieu.

I am not into classical much but I am into folk and acoustic and I have not heard better than HD650 for this genre (in it's price range and some above like D7000).
Edit: If you like electronica and hip hop, get the Ultrasone 780/900 or the D2000. There is a 780 on the FS forum right now.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #60 of 99
What does the HD650 do that no other headphone can do?

Give me a very intimate and snug "nana singing a lullaby in a logwood cabin warmed by fireplace" effect. Whaddaya mean you've no idea what I'm talking about.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back