what does the HD650 do well?
Apr 14, 2010 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

timmyGCSE

500+ Head-Fier
My girlfriend decided to stealz my RX700's (alright I let her take them...it just gives me an excuse to upgrade
wink.gif
) and in a couple of weeks I will get £230 cashback from taking out a mobile contract so I'm going to treat myself to a decent pair.
Initially I was drawn to the K702's, not in the least by the looks, I was convinced the big soundstage and big detail.
But then a bit more reading conviced me they aren't for me. My music taste is quite broad, I listen to Rock, Indie, RnB, HipHop, Rap, Pop, Techno, Dnb, Metal, Country, Acoustic, Folk, in pretty equal proportions and some other genres in there for good measure - finding a one size fits all for that is pretty hard, something the K702 doesn't seem like it can do because of the bass.
I am pretty much perfectly happy with my JH13's as reference, I sometimes wish for more bass but then even on huge bass tracks I sometimes relish it.

So I stumble upon the HD650 and it sounds great, like a much more all rounder. But I can't really pinpoint on what it does well...or more where does it excel where others fail?
I read its not as detailed as a K702 and doesn't have as big a soundstage (something which kinda makes me has a bit of a sad) but has better bass impact and presence....but not as much as the beyerdynamic offerings..

For what reasons should I buy the HD650 over the others? lol. Or is it simply just that - an audiophile grade all-rounder?

yes yes I know, I should use the search especially when comparing the K701/702 to HD650, and I have done so, spent hours already researching my next purchase but like most people collating this information into my own purchase is difficult and I need a slightly bespoke answer and this has caused me to create this thread, so please don't tell me off - I've done lots of looking and reading so far
icon14.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...For what reasons should I buy the HD650 over the others?...

smily_headphones1.gif
A strange question...
I own both K701 and HD650 and to me k701 are superior in all aspects: faster, better detail, flatter, bigger soundstage. HD650 have more midbass and are more suitable for rock and electronics... But now there are so many newer and better headphones. I'd never choose this old model. You already have JH13s and they must be better than the 650s.
Buy STAX!
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 99
I'm not looking for a replacement/rival for my JH13's, I use my 13's strictly for portable use, its not practicle for me to use them at home. I'm also not fussed if whatever I purchase doesn't quite match up to JH13's, hell I get all excited with my £20 S2's. I have £230 to spend, not £500+
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 99
Do you have to have open-air cans?

I'd go with the D2000/D5000 if not. They are respectable in all of the aspects that you want, with the bass that you want as well. If the bass is too much, it's very easy to do the markl mod.

If you want more sound stage, you can purchase the J$ pads, as they gacve me a wider sound stage than the stock pads.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 99
To me the 650 is like a high performance BMW, it does everything really well but still looks understated and never shouts in your face.

Its the ability to not be able to pinpoint one particular trait that makes this headphone so great in my opinion.

Its all things to all men.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me the 650 is like a high performance BMW, it does everything really well but still looks understated and never shouts in your face.

I assume that in the U.K. BMW-drivers aren´t attention seeking dicks? =DD

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 99
The problem about the K701 is that there are good ones with sufficient bass (those are no-brainers in comparison with HD650 or DT880) and bad ones that sound a bit thin. Problem is that the bad ones seem to be more common than the good ones.

BTT, what does the HD650 do especially good? Celli, and male voices of the David Sylvian sort. Apart from that, I always found it a bit boring and lacking musicality, that is why I always preferred (some sort of) DT880, although its 250 ohm versions are technically inferior.

If I was to buy a can in the 200$ region to cover the OP's genre bandwidth, I'd propably grab the HD600 instead of the HD650. I'd couple it with a cheap MS1 in the long run, for those moments when I want a bit more beef and emotion.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by pacmantravis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have to have open-air cans?

I'd go with the D2000/D5000 if not. They are respectable in all of the aspects that you want, with the bass that you want as well. If the bass is too much, it's very easy to do the markl mod.

If you want more sound stage, you can purchase the J$ pads, as they gacve me a wider sound stage than the stock pads.

Is the Markl Mod available for DIY?

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 99
K701 comfort is not good, thanks to this crazy bump on the headband. It is pressing right to the top of the head. Pads are also so-so. I do not think it is bass lacking, but its requirements to the amp are pretty high. Either your meet them or K701 sounds thin with Ety-style anemic bass.

DT990/DT880 simply do not meet SQ level of either HD650 or K701, but they really can help to save on lesser amp in comparsion to HD650 and, of course, K701.

I've gone through all these cans (add D2000) and stopped with HD650. I yet to hear JH13, but I bet these two may form a nice pair.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 99
I prefer my K701's, but the HD650's have a more laid back sound and is less fatiguing, therefore you can listen to them for longer periods. I think the bass is very similar, but because the K701's are brighter, it sounds as if the, bass is not as impactful as the HD650's

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #12 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701 comfort is not good, thanks to this crazy bump on the headband. It is pressing right to the top of the head.

Everyone's head is different. I was kinda worried about the comfort of the K701's before I got them from what I read. On my head, I don't feel the bumps. I know some have removed the bumps with knife, maybe that will help
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 99
In comparison to my Grado SR325i's, my 650's were a jack of all trades, where as the 325i's were good at classical & jazz and dreadful at everything else. I've not tried 701's or 702's ... too many conflicting reviews.

I'm not saying the 650's are brilliant in one particular area, but for me they offered a better solution than the one dimensional but masterful 325i's .. but only a master of one area!

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 99
What does hd650 excel at? For me vocals and the very lush and relaxing presntation.
I found the k701 to have many problems and was hot for me.

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 99
thanks for the responses..
I'm still sorely tempted by the K702's..ok lets try put some things into perspective.
In terms of weight, punch and overall fullness, can anyone compare the K702's bass to RX700's, sr60i's, and JH13's. I expect the JH13's to be of no comparison, the bass is wonderful. But the sr60i's had to me, enough bass to satisfy in most genres including drum n bass.

I may go for the K702's then later down the line pick up some RX900's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back