what does the HD650 do well?
Apr 15, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #31 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by tengen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650s are only analytical if you choose to dissect every last piece of it
wink.gif
like Shakespeare is only fatiguing if you comb it line by line. Sit back and relax, enjoy the laid-back refined sound.

x2

Couldn't have said it better myself

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #33 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
relaxing, mellow, not harsh..very sweet & lush mid range.. Great headphones IMO..

Pretty much summed it up right there.
beerchug.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #34 of 99
Ultimately, the only way to know for sure is to try them yourself.

Although I haven't cared for Senns all that much in the past, they seemed to be the best fit for a new set-up I'm assembling for my travel trailer. Had the HD650 for the past 3 weeks and I've been quite pleased. Relaxed, don't interfere with the music(I don't detect colorization), good bass and a good all rounder.

Many have/will say they are dead or lifeless. Boring is used quite often to describe them. Matching the amp/source to the HD650 is critical. Pretty easy to change out the headphone cable to get the result you are looking for. The final result is a very musical headphone.

These are a wonderful headphone, but in the end it comes down to personal taste. I have owned, borrowed or heard (meet conditions) most of the headphones mentioned in this thread. I'm not familiar with the gear you have listed for your home rig. Based on your original post the HD650 will serve you well ... once you get it dialed in.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #35 of 99
I'm not sure anyone not into classical/orchestral can really appreciate the HD650. This is where it excels, and this I believe is what it was voiced for. I know a lot of rock fans will be saying, hey, the 650 is great on my music, and maybe so, but that's not its strength.

People talk about "fun" cans, but I don't see the 650 as a "fun" can at all. The 650 isn't a pub gig; it's a Shostakovich symphony, and if you don't know who Shostakovich is (as John Lennon once said, "Who the **** is Shostakovich?!), then you haven't heard the 650 in its intended millieu.

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #36 of 99
I prefer my K701s for classical with solo instruments such as the piano, and my HD650s for everything else. In my mind the HD650s replicate a true concert hall sound for classical concerts ... meaning walls, and ceiling with acoustic treatments and a resulting warm, somewhat dampened sound. They put me in the 10th to 20th row depending on the volume I use, which I much prefer to being on stage.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #37 of 99
i recently switched back to my HD600 after a long time with the 650 and i think i am starting to prefer the 600 again; some things i noticed after getting used to the 650 actually contradict what i wouldve said a few months ago. I think i am hearing things correctly. For some reason i always though the 650 had more bass, but i think i had it wrong. The 600 has more, goes lower, and it hits WAY harder. The HD650 has better highs, more refined, smoother and less harsh tendencies than the 600. The midrange is more prominent, i think the 600 might be a smidge recessed but essentially neutral. The midrange is liquid and lush with the 650 where the 600 seems a little bit dry and anaytical.

Both of these cans are good all rounders. I only listen to them balanced.

I think the 650 is good with vocals and orchestra, jazz. 600 seems to be a better all rounder as far as i can tell.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #38 of 99
HD650 is a Radiohead headphone. 'nuff said, use it for that band and that band only and feel good about life!
smily_headphones1.gif

and by that I mean it has great resolution, great details - awesome for some reverby rock, and melancholic music works well with the phone's dark colouration, also atmospheric music for good soundtaging.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #39 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume that in the U.K. BMW-drivers aren´t attention seeking dicks? =DD

Ah they do seem to have a reputation all the world over this is true! But try to consider the car more than the driver
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #40 of 99
I enjoy listening to the HD650s almost as much as the HD800. Personally, I don't think the 650s do anything wrong, and I also disagree about the comment made about it not punching as hard as the 600s. The 600s may give the perception of more impact because of their more prominent treble though.

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #41 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 is a Radiohead headphone. 'nuff said, use it for that band and that band only and feel good about life!
smily_headphones1.gif

and by that I mean it has great resolution, great details - awesome for some reverby rock, and melancholic music works well with the phone's dark colouration, also atmospheric music for good soundtaging.

I don't want to sound like a K701 fan boy as I love my hd650's, but I do like the K701's better for Radiohead. The soundstage of the K701's allows me to hear more detail and better placement of instruments.
I like the HD 650's for less detailed warmer sounding music, like hip hop or reggae. The bass for me is perfect for those generes as it doesn't over power the rest of the music the way most people who listen to those styles like.

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #42 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by phangtonpower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to sound like a K701 fan boy as I love my hd650's, but I do like the K701's better for Radiohead. The soundstage of the K701's allows me to hear more detail and better placement of instruments.
I like the HD 650's for less detailed warmer sounding music, like hip hop or reggae. The bass for me is perfect for those generes as it doesn't over power the rest of the music the way most people who listen to those styles like.

**** I almost have to just stay off of head-fi until I've heard these headphones because they're brought up so f'in much!

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #43 of 99
Hahahah
smily_headphones1.gif
Just personal preference. I see you've owned the DF's. I have a pair I've owned for over 10 years recabled with Black Dragon's and repadded with velor, I kinda prefer those over my K701's. I might be a little biased towards them since I've owned the for so long though, but since you got rid of your DF's, the K701 may not be for you.

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #44 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by phangtonpower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahahah
smily_headphones1.gif
Just personal preference. I see you've owned the DF's. I have a pair I've owned for over 10 years recabled with Black Dragon's and repadded with velor, I kinda prefer those over my K701's. I might be a little biased towards them since I've owned the for so long though, but since you got rid of your DF's, the K701 may not be for you.

lol no that's cool, I can totally relate to that- I liked the DF's better than my K501's, never thought of getting them recabled though, thanks for the idea!
DF's are very well balanced headphones, similar that way to K340, Yh100.
Much more balanced sounding than the K240 Sextetts as well imo.

Which has more bass - the K701 or the DF?

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #45 of 99
Hmm I would have to say that the K701's have slightly more bass. I think the DF's and K701's sound similar except for the DF's are pretty flat, made for recording, with slightly smaller sound stage and the K701's are a little more colored.
I only recabled mine because they were more than 10 years old and the cables on them were pretty flimsy I felt. Recabled them dual entry to. Also the drivers screens started to disintegrate and the pleather pads were starting to look really ratty. Now they look like a brand new pair
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back