What does "not very fast" mean? (Sennheiser hd600)
Feb 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #16 of 19
I think "fast" means that it can keep up with many different things that are going on in the music.
If it tends to blur some of the faster and more complex passages together, it is probably on the "slow" side.

I actually used to have a 600 a while ago.
To me, it was only marginally better than the 555's.
If I paid the $400 retail, I would have been so pissed, but for the $150 used I got it for, I didn't complain.
But the lcd-2's i just got are worth every dollar.  this upgrade is the best money spent i could have possibly hoped for.

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panerai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think "fast" means that it can keep up with many different things that are going on in the music.
If it tends to blur some of the faster and more complex passages together, it is probably on the "slow" side.

It's true , but there's the way you perceive it too. Even if the headphone handle effortlessly fast passages, I believe the brain need some cues to realize a kind of "heavy load" of music is going through the ear. Maybe some treble emphasis and "in the face" imaging helps.

Quote:
I actually used to have a 600 a while ago. To me, it was only marginally better than the 555's.
If I paid the $400 retail, I would have been so pissed, but for the $150 used I got it for, I didn't complain.

Great,  you'd see very few  head-fier making this kind of statement.
The usual attitude is to try to justify by every way possibles  a purchase.
But have you passed the mandatory test of using a better source before dismissing the hd600 ?
Because when people are unsatisfied by small changes,  the usual argument that put end to discussion is "use a better source".

My personal experience was :
hd595 << srh940 < hd800.
So actually there's a bigger improvement by going from hd595 to srh940, than from srh940 to hd800, it's a bit frustrating for the price. And again I'm not sure I like everything better on the hd800 (let's say it's a matter of taste).

Quote:

I can't say how it sounds since I can't create a filter for my own ear, but I can say it measures much better than the HD 800.

The hd800 example was just symbolic. Let me reformulate the question:
how does it sounds compared to the best headphone you've heard yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back