What Does N.A. Stand For?
Sep 22, 2005 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bLue_oNioN

Headphoneus Supremus
Out of curiosity, I'm wondering what "N.A." stands for. It appears regularly behind the names of banks (for example, Charles Schwab Bank, NA). If you could provide a short description of why the title is used, it would be very much appreciated =)

Sep 22, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 7
With cars, NA means "Naturally Aspirated".

( just bumping your thread
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Sep 22, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 7
I believe it might stand for North America.

Sep 22, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 7
"Federal regulators include the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), which regulates all nationally chartered financial institutions. For example, banks that have N.A. (National Association) in their title are nationally chartered financial institutions. The Federal Reserve Bank (FRB) regulates those state-chartered institutions that are members of the Federal Reserve System. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) regulates non-FRB member state-chartered banks and state-chartered thrift institutions, and the Office of Thrift Supervision (OTS) regulates federally chartered Thrift institutions, as well as all Savings and Loan Associations."

http://www.banking.state.ny.us/crafaq.htm

Gotta love the internet...

Sep 22, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 7
Yeah, it's for National Association. To simplify even more, just remember, if you want to start a bank, you gotta register it either as a state bank or a federal one. If you go the latter route, you will be a N.A.

But as pointed out by Oski, that's only the tip of the iceberg. There's actually another layer of regulatory framework on top of the ones quoted above, as the Fed also regulates financial and bank holding companies. Anyway, it's a fascinating history how the US financial system came into place and anyone interested in economics or law should definitely look into it.

Best regards,

-Jason

Sep 22, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 7
Not Applicable... (what I was going to say, that is, because the question has already been answered.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back