What does "jitter" sound like?
Apr 27, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #106 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have done some limited coax vs optical tests, I did not find any significant differences with my DAC. I do have a few different runs of digital coax I can test out indirectly none are terribly short though, but I have no way of verifying whether they really are 75ohm or not, nor though do I have any way of measuring the resultant jitter or if any differences in waveforms are connected with jitter.

The important point is if you have any that are at least 1.5m, preferably longer. The impedance is important as well, but the interface impedance on either piece of equipment is probably not done correctly anyhow, so until that was corrected, cable impedance is a crapshoot.

Apr 27, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #107 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The important point is if you have any that are at least 1.5m, preferably longer. The impedance is important as well, but the interface impedance on either piece of equipment is probably not done correctly anyhow, so until that was corrected, cable impedance is a crapshoot.

What's the importance? If your runs are too long or your impedance is not correct, is enough jitter generated to get into the audible range?

Tim

Apr 27, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #108 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the importance? If your runs are too long or your impedance is not correct, is enough jitter generated to get into the audible range?

Tim

Reflection from impedance mismatch. Too short and the reflection may arrive at the moment a timing transition is occurring. 1.5m is the recommended minimum length for a digital coax... I'd probably go 2m just to be safe. Longer won't hurt. Short is bad. So if you really want to see if you can hear any difference, try a really short cable vs. 2m.

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #109 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Um, I followed a debate about this on ProSoundWeb last year or maybe the year before, the consensus was that this was not actually correct and that within reasonable limits the length really made no difference and that certainly 1.5m was no better than 1m. I will see if I can hunt it down.

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #113 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Know Talent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Jitter is the sound of one hand clapping"

Or wallets flapping.

Tim

May 1, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #114 of 116
Jitter is a hoodoo.

See ya
Steve

May 1, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #116 of 116
It sounds like:

Ji Ji Ji Jitterbug....<snap> <snap> <snap>....Ji Ji Ji Jitterbug....

tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back