What does 86 proof mean?
Oct 8, 2003 at 1:54 AM Post #16 of 38
Some Absinth (forgot which kind), the 85% stuff, it has THC in it, and it GLOWS when lit, haha...pot...haha, Jaegermeister is pretty good, it tastes kinda like cough medicine, I like that a bit, so it's nice...it's just 35% though.

being under 21 is annoying
frown.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
Some Absinth (forgot which kind), the 85% stuff, it has THC in it, and it GLOWS when lit, haha...pot...haha, Jaegermeister is pretty good, it tastes kinda like cough medicine, I like that a bit, so it's nice...it's just 35% though.

being under 21 is annoying
frown.gif

it's not actually thc in absinthe but a related compound called thujone found in wormwood. hard to get real absinthe though. illegal here in america and most of europe. i think portugal still has it legalized though.

Oct 8, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
Yeah, vodka can be drinkable too. But these expensive vodkas you can buy (the best of them being Grey Goose) are basically a joke since vodka is really just something to get drunk on and not enjoy as a quality drink. Then again, American whiskey started the same way -- it was a way to make an easily-transportable product out of wheat that was large enough and spoilable enough to be expensive and difficult to send to East-coast markets. Now you can buy single-barrel bourbon for hundreds of dollars per bottle. Crazy!

There is a big enough difference between Viaka (really cheap asian vodka) and schmirnoff and Ketel One (haven't tried gray goose yet, it is pretty expensive and I'm not 21) To me, the whole point of getting something expensive is that it doesn't taste like complete ass and you can drink it withouth feeling like you want to trow up. I once had a screwdriver made if Viaka and it was horrible. A screwdriver made of Schmirnoff would go down so easily compared to it.

I'm a big Vodka fan when it comes to hard liquors. I don't really like rum (unless it is being mixed, shots of rum or horrible), tequila (one shot was enough), or whiskey (just don't like the flavor). I have had Scotch once, and I think that I might buy me a bottle of something decent when I turn 21 here in a couple of months. It was really good stuff. Definitely designed for slow drinking.

Oct 8, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by dohminator

tequila (one shot was enough)

once you start doing body shots it's a whole different ball game.

sigh... that takes me back. :nostalgiac for undergrad:

oh yeah, you guys remember this?

Oct 8, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #21 of 38
1. I used to live in Russia
very_evil_smiley.gif

2. Vodka is not for sipping, when you have a shot of vodka you don't drink it, you gulp it. You shouldn't feel the taste if you drink it right - doesn't matter if it's good or bad.
3. Grey Goose is really good, as well as Tanquerrey

Edit: Oh, forgot - it's Smirnoff and not something else...

Oct 8, 2003 at 5:27 AM Post #22 of 38
to answer all the questions:

no i wasnt drinking alone...had a couple buds over to play on the xbox and we usually have a few drinks which make racing games more challenging haha...but i HAD to make this topic post today because it became almost impossible to drive after we had this stuff (in the game, not real life of course)...

i guess i was a little tired today when i drank, i've been losing sleep studying over midterms, and other "dramatic" crap that comes with stupid immature relationships...and yes this was the first time having any scotch/whisky...really before to today all i really drank was: coolers like smirnoff ice and mikes hard lemonade, and then hard stuff like smirnoff vodka, bacardi, malibu rum, and some sort of caramel tasting shnapps...(i like the taste of rum the most, like bacardi)

Also, this was a very old bottle of scotch...so maybe ya the flavor or alchohol content could have changed over time...

and FYI: yes in fact i DID go to my hip hop dance class today haha...its a club for beginners on campus run by students who are friends of mine...i really should NOT have gone though. i was able to walk straight and think but there was no way i could do a locker's walk to the beat of music haha...my feet were tripping over each other and my arms in general were just very uncoordinated...
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose

edit: oh yeah, the o-chemist in me wants to remind y'all that the azeotrope of ethanol and water is 96% ethanol. which is why everclear is only 190 proof. 200 proof is really, really hard to make.

I always wondered if people ever snuck out some ethanol from the labs...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by ManiacSmile

I spell it like it's pronounced
wink.gif

Smirnoff - Schmirnoff It's the same thing. I can tell my buddy to buy it and i can pick it out. I just can't spell it correctly. Hell, I have two bottles sitting the freezer right now. I'm not even going to bother editing though.

Oct 8, 2003 at 10:19 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by ManiacSmile
1. I used to live in Russia
very_evil_smiley.gif

2. Vodka is not for sipping, when you have a shot of vodka you don't drink it, you gulp it. You shouldn't feel the taste if you drink it right - doesn't matter if it's good or bad.
3. Grey Goose is really good, as well as Tanquerrey

A man after my own heart
wink.gif

I think I'm the only one out of my friends who truly knows how to do a shot right. I could be drinking pure turpentine and I wouldn't taste it - but my friends get choked up on baby stuff sometimes
smily_headphones1.gif

The bad part about this is that sometimes it's TOO easy to drink, and well.. then ya just hear stories about the stupid crap you did the night before, lol.

Grey Goose is great stuff - the taste is nearly nothing when it's cold! Orange flavored Grey Goose makes excellent screwdrivers!

As for the original question: I have many friends who almost can't get drunk off of cheap vodkas or even everclear. That pure of alcohol just doesn't do anything for 'em. However, darker alcohols (rum,whiskey,tequila,etc) - will hit almost anyone hard
wink.gif
So one bottle of 86 proof will not always affect you as much as another type of liquor with 86 proof (even in the same state). It all depends on the person.

-dd3mon

Oct 8, 2003 at 3:09 PM Post #27 of 38
i hope no one thought that when i said earlier to try vodka on its own that i mean to sip it...good grief....please don't sip vodka of any sort
rolleyes.gif

grey goose is good stuff indeed...even like the l'orange every once in 'while...

but as for not bein' able to taste it if done properly...if that's your goal, great...many vodkas are made to be close to the mythical absolute zero (no taste)...some are not...i still suggest goin' out & tryin' a good Polish vodka...believe me...you'll know right away which you prefer...

back to point...the rule (of thumb) of obtainin' alcohol content by just halvin' the proof doesn't always hold true, but it holds true so often that it's worth it to save you from too much thought
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 3:50 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Multi
I always wondered if people ever snuck out some ethanol from the labs...
smily_headphones1.gif

Lab grade alcohol is tainted, 200 proof of pure undrinkable booze.

I've heard that drinking it either:
1) makes you blind (methanol additives?)
2) makes you vomit instantly
3) kills you

Pick one.

The stuff is ridiculously cheap too, so they have to prevent abuse.

Oct 8, 2003 at 5:25 PM Post #29 of 38
lab ethanol contains about 5-10% methanol to stop silly people drinking it! (yes, methanol eventually makes you blind and kill you; Russian soldiers in WWII used to drink anything they could get their hands on, uncluding methalated spirits and many died from that!)

g

Oct 8, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #30 of 38
l'orange tastes like they put a couple of orange tictacs in the bottle and let them sit there a while before they sold it. flavored vodka pisses me off, especially considering the better and better vodka gets, the less and less flavor it has at all.

i'm becoming more and more friendly with jack daniels and coke, though in general i'm not too keen on the brown stuff. cognac and scotch just don't do it for me, and i've only tried johnny walker blue and remy martin louis xiii. i can't stand the taste (icky) but maybe it'll come with time.

i do need to try more vodkas though. i gotta buy/try black death, belvedere (had it years ago, want to have more now), chopin, and russian standard (if i can find it in the u.s.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back