What does 86 proof mean?
Oct 8, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
Lab grade alcohol is tainted, 200 proof of pure undrinkable booze.

I've heard that drinking it either:
1) makes you blind (methanol additives?)
2) makes you vomit instantly
3) kills you

Pick one.

The stuff is ridiculously cheap too, so they have to prevent abuse.

you guys are thinking of denatured or reagent alcohol. but some chemistry requires genuine 200 proof of ethanol only which is quite expensive because it's hard to make and it's federally taxed as liqour. (labs can apply for exemptions though) that stuff will get you where you want to go.

Oct 8, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #32 of 38
I'm not one to sip vodka usually either, but what do you think a dry vodka martini is? Lots of alcohol doesn't taste great in the way that chocolate or a good steak does. The shock and the warmth in the throat, even though that usually precludes good taste, makes the alcohol desirable not just for the alcohol content.

I have tried a Polish potato vodka once and it did go down quite easily. Ukrainian vodka can be somewhat decent too.

Oct 8, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #33 of 38
i'm in agreement w/ya dang...

i was just hopin' to point out the two paths vodka usually takes as most are only familiar with the one (i'm not, btw, sayin' that i prefer one over the other)...

dry vodka martinis...that's cheatin'
rolleyes.gif
...in that case i enjoy dry scotch martinis even better
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #34 of 38
Originally posted by usc goose
i used to live on grey goose. mmmm... tasty...
evil_smiley.gif

edit: oh yeah, the o-chemist in me wants to remind y'all that the azeotrope of ethanol and water is 96% ethanol. which is why everclear is only 190 proof. 200 proof is really, really hard to make.

Ah yes, Everclear 190. Brings back (PAINFUL) memories when I was younger and a lot more stupid. Hard to believe that this stuff was available in my neighborhood liquor store 10 years ago, it's now banned here and I think in many states because many college students ended up in the hospital or dying from alcohol poisoning by consuming too much of this stuff. I still have two bottles of this stuff which I haven't touch in nearly 12 years and don't plan to anytime soon. Jungle juice anyone?

Oct 8, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
Lab grade alcohol is tainted, 200 proof of pure undrinkable booze.

I've heard that drinking it either:
1) makes you blind (methanol additives?)
2) makes you vomit instantly
3) kills you

Pick one.

The stuff is ridiculously cheap too, so they have to prevent abuse.

can't it make you drunk just by sniffing it, that's what I've heard from one of my friends...
600smile.gif

Oct 9, 2003 at 12:25 AM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
can't it make you drunk just by sniffing it, that's what I've heard from one of my friends...
600smile.gif

obviously lightweights.
tongue.gif

now ether on the other hand... all day smelling that stuff will mess you up. haven't y'all read "fear and loathing in las vegas"?

Oct 9, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
ok so i know all about percentages of alchohol and stuff.....you got your smirnoff with like 40%...

but i found this bottle of scotch wisky or something...says its 86 proof? i'm assuming thats some sort of measure of alchohol?

man.....i can about 3 shots of vodka and still feel normal, but i've had one shot of this 86 proof wisky and my head is SPINNING!

280smile.gif
oooooooo.............thank god i dont have school today...

86 proof is your liver saying "Are you out of your mind??!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back