what do your family members comment on your headphones?
Jul 4, 2006 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

hentai

1000+ Head-Fier
My mom says the k701 looks like an item out of the toliet, grado rs-1 is made by a carpenter. What other funny comments you guys get ?

Jul 4, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 59
I get called Darth Vader whenever I wear the Floats. Insane whenever I wear somethign homemade.

Jul 4, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 59
The kids would like to play with my little yellow frisbees in the house. They figure they shouldn't hurt anything if anything gets hit.

Jul 4, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 59
My mom told me that I might get hit by lightning when Im wearing my headphones outdoors
basshead.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 59
The first time my brother saw / heard my MS2...

Bro: "Hey are those new?...what are they?... Ive never seen brushed aluminum headphones before.???"
confused.gif

Me: "Theyre Alessandro MS2s. George Alessandro is a high end boutique tube amp builder, specializing in custom tube amps and build-to order sales for really $$$$ musicians. Hes Buddies with John Grado and together they wanted to develop a headphone for recording musicians that accurately portrayed what was captured on tape.... accuracy and detail resolution being 2 of the key goals."

Bro: "Can I give a listen?"

Me: "Sure..." que-ing up some Rush, AC/DC, Floyd, and Dreamtheater. T40 laptop as my source, amping with a guzzler G-moy. My brother and I have identical tastes in music.

Bro:
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
"Wow I dont think Ive ever heard Angus Young quite like that before."

After ~30 minutes of listening:

Bro: (puzzled look)... rubing his ears... Pulling the MS2 off his head and examining it on the desk. "Why do they look like this?"

Me: "Thats the classic Grado - look. Its what feels / sounds good to JOHN. Its the only thing HE WANTS to put his name on."

Bro: Oh... "Have you ever seen John Grado". (Continues to rub his visibly sore - red ears).

Me: "Just pics really. He's an older guy, family man from what I understand. 2 boys, and his father Joe is an opera singer / painter. The company is a family-run operation in Brooklyn, with ~20 employees."

"Why?"

Bro: Ears stil visibly red and sore. "Does he have a square head?... flat ears?"

I laughed...

Jul 4, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 59
My parents thought I looked gangster when the SR-60s came in
confused.gif
. At least no one would bother stealing them
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 59
Wife thinks I look ridiculous with some of them and thinks I'm insane for being such a fanatic. I think she is nuts for watching Trading Spaces. I win.

Jul 4, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #11 of 59
i actually have no consensus on what my family thinks of my 'phone collection. same goes w/ my seemingly large New Era Cap collection -- but if i hear "you only have one head; why do you need that many headphones?" i'm gonna lose it!

Jul 4, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #13 of 59
"How much did those cost?" is the usual question.

I usually dodge it with, 'well, they were listed wrong on eBay and I got a good deal on them." If they press, I'll say they were about $100. The parents will lecture, everyone else looks goggle-eyed. My brother-in-law and a couple of cousins like to listen. One cousin is a vinylphile, and he understands.

As for the rest of the gear, DIY is a perfect dodge. Showing them the price of Orange Drops and resistors makes the gear look like a bargain. I never discuss the transformers, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back