What do you use with your J3 ?
May 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MaxD

100+ Head-Fier
My first post so please be gentle :).

I am trying to put together a very portable music player for the best price/ audio quality  I can.   I am a bit worried I might blow my budget on rubbish as I don’t know much about audio gear.

So I have a Cowan J3 and Shure 425 in ear headphones.

I want to get better quality,  I have £300 to spend.  It has to be portable so on ear headphones max and possibly portable amp.

What should I spend it on to improve audio quality ?

Portable Amp ?   (I was looking at the e17)
Replacement Headphones?  (Crosfade M-80 ?)

I rely need advice.

What is everyone else using with the J3 and what do you think ?

Thanks

Max

May 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 9
Yes the J3 is brilliant isn't it.  I don't need volume but do I need an amp to drive higher impedance headphones ?

May 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #4 of 9
most higher impedance phones will be open and therefore not portable. You should only be conceded with phones over 100 ohms of impedance, i meant that the increase of sound quality with an amp and J3 is a lot less than with an amp and my iPhone 4 for example. It is one fantastics players.I think you best bet is upgrading phones. what sort of sound do you want?

May 7, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 9
I listen to a wide variety of music so I really want to hear as close to the original as possible.    I use mostly loss-less formats.   I am hoping any specific adjustment can be made with the equaliser on the J3.    Sounds like replacement on-ear headphones would be my best bet ?  I made the mistake of getting some bose QC3's a while back.  Good for audio books but really too much distortion for me.     I do spend 3 hours commuting every day so background noise is an issue but the best quality sound seems to be a difficult goal when you want it to be portable.   I have had the j3 since it was released and just love it at home using my old HD595's.  If I could get some on ear (portable)  headphones like that for the commute I would be a happy man :).

May 7, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 9
No problem,  I appreciate your help.

Cheers

Max

May 7, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 9
If you can afford it, I wouldn't replace your Shure 425.  Keep it and buy something to complement it -- you mentioned the V-Moda 80.  I haven't heard it, but from the reviews, it would be a nice contrast to the 425s. 

Also, I have tried my J3 with a couple of mid-level amps (E11, Soundmagic A10), and could hear no real improvement to my Ety ER-4P, just a bit of volume increase.  The J3 is super.

May 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 9
That sounds like a good plan.  I am going to go for it.    Thanks for everyones advice.

Much apriciated.

Max

Users who are viewing this thread

Back