What do you think of Vista?
Jan 10, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #31 of 226
I love Vista Business Edition 32bit. I would like to upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64bit through MSDN along with Office 2007 Ultimate this year. My only comment is that upgrading some computer hardware upgrades caused one time hiccups, but things are rock solid.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #32 of 226
Personally, I don't like Vista.

I have been using Linux for the past four years (started with Slackware and am now using Fedora 8) and have grown to like it much more than I ever liked Windows (95, 98, Me, Xp). I know that Linux isn't for everyone for one reason or another (be it games, lack of a certain app, hardware difficulties), but, I have enjoyed the journey thus far.

Anyway, for me, I didn't like the whole security thing that Vista has ("are you sure you want to do this? Click here to continue") and I wasn't too fond of the GUI either. Oh, there is also the whole costing-money aspect...

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #33 of 226
I got Vista Ultimate for free from my school last summer.

Absolutely no problems. Probably less than five different things I do with my computer though

Internet
Ripping CDs and listening to music
Word Processing
View Power Point slides from lectures

It looks a bit nicer than XP and supposedly has better security. I think this is enough for most casual computer-users such as myself.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #34 of 226
I hate it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #38 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I don't like Vista.

Anyway, for me, I didn't like the whole security thing that Vista has ("are you sure you want to do this? Click here to continue") and I wasn't too fond of the GUI either.

That can easily be turned off...
wink.gif

Did not like Vista either, before I got a decent machine with sufficient RAM and other specs. I run Vista 64 Ultimate, and have no problems. I think the early days with driver issues is over... But it is the "same s**t, new wrapping". IMO its not better than XP, just a nice change after years with the same OS gui (Thank whoever for flyakiteOSX
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #39 of 226
I have home premium 32 on my desktop, ultimate 64 on my laptop. Very happy with Vista. No crashes, only a couple of compatibility issues in the beginning which were fairly quickly resolved (got the desktop shortly after Vista was released), none since very early on.
I'm happy with the new Windows Mobile Center, used to sync my PPC.
Use Photoshop, Gmail, IE7 (not happy with it, think I'll check out firefox in a minute), iTunes (prefers 32bit version), Office 2007 (love it), MS Money, Google Earth, Streets & Trips, ...
There was a lot of negative response when it was released, but I haven't had a bad experience. I know people who say they hate it and will never use it. Oddly, they've never tried it. Oh well.

Denise

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #40 of 226
A bit sluggish with only 1 GB of RAM and a 1.6 Centrino, but other than that, Vista Business 32 has been solid in my opinion. An upgrade on a multitude of things over XP. Definitely not as snappy as Ubuntu, though, but Linux has been a pain for me to configure so far, especially compared to the little shortcuts in Windows I've learned over the years.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #41 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerowing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vista is great, runs all my applications well, i have not encoutered any compatibility issues so far

I enjoy it quite a bit too. Good looking interface and I like how it's kinda Window meets Mac in terms of looks. I like the looks of Mac, just not the price
tongue.gif
And I haven't had any compatibility problems (yet...). I rum Office 2000 as a matter of fact. I don't use Outlook, so I can't say if that does or does not work, but everything else seems good.

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #42 of 226
hate it, slows down my laptop (its a good laptop) when playing games, won't let me do certain things, a fair few of my apps don't work, soon as I can get a portable drive its back to xp

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #43 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by al217739 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hate it, slows down my laptop (its a good laptop) when playing games, won't let me do certain things, a fair few of my apps don't work, soon as I can get a portable drive its back to xp

What are your laptop's specs?

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #44 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are your laptop's specs?

its a dell xps m1710
core 2 @ 2.86ghz
4gb ram
512 mb nvidia 7950 gtx
160gb 7200rpm hard drive 8mb
1920x1200 17 inch screen
hd drive

Edt
it constantly spins the hard drive/works the processor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back