What do you think of the AKM VERITA AK4490 DAC chip?
Mar 2, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 68
Hi,

I read a few reviews from users comparing ES9018 and AK4490, if the former is implemented well it is very accurate even close to clinical sound whereas the AK4490 is less forgiving and more musical. I opt for the latter, I own a few DIY DAC based on AK4**** is various incarnations, the latest one is AK4495.
Currently I bought a DIY kit from China based on dual chipsets(right and left channels), AK4490 complete board cost me US$95.00 I had to supply transformer and casing. Sounds really good. If you are tinkerer than you can tweak it to your hearts intend.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 68
  Hi,

I read a few reviews from users comparing ES9018 and AK4490, if the former is implemented well it is very accurate even close to clinical sound whereas the AK4490 is less forgiving and more musical. I opt for the latter, I own a few DIY DAC based on AK4**** is various incarnations, the latest one is AK4495.
Currently I bought a DIY kit from China based on dual chipsets(right and left channels), AK4490 complete board cost me US$95.00 I had to supply transformer and casing. Sounds really good. If you are tinkerer than you can tweak it to your hearts intend.

Thanks!

What about the burr brown DAC? how it is compared to the AK4490?

I am asking because I have never heard the AK4490, and I might consider the TEAC - UD-503 DAC

I am familiar with the Sabre on the Vega which is bright and also familiar with the Sabre on the Moon 430HA which is great and not bright at all!

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 68
DAC chips alone don't tell much about the sound. Implementation is extremely important, you can't just throw super-high specs DAC in and get exactly the specs in the datasheet. Also, the output stage plays a vastly role in deciding the final sound. My 2 favorite types of output stages are discrete and tube. Each has its own taste, but both could be very detailed and dynamic.

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 68
Hi,

Burr Brown DAC chipset was at the forefront of DAC design, nowadays there are so many competitors. I use the BB dac chipset more than 20 years ago and recently I pay more attention to Ak and ES chipsets.  Kytu.. is correct it is the implementation of the DAC chipset that's important.
ES9018 chipset is still expensive if you want the DAC based on this chipset then SMSL M8 is priced reasonably around $240, cheaper elsewhere from Massdrop, many users who bought it are quite happy with it. You cannot compare it against the more expensive implementations, eg Eastern Electric, etc.
On the other hand you can buy cheap great sound DACs based on the AK4490 or AK4495, there are many around esp. those from China made for DIYers. Many are less than $100. Some fully made up and some in kit form for DIYers, go to Ebay or Aliexpress, I bought many kits from both of them ALL OF THEM WORK.
You need to narrow down what you want otherwise there are too many options.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 68
ESS DAC sounds clinical/souless, eg: Benchmark DAC2. Burr Brown DAC is the typical hi-fi sound, I like it A LOT. Burr Brown is pretty much the standard.

I haven't heard AK4490, but it seems to be where the future is headed, NOS mode too!!! AKM just released a new one AK4497, power usage is way up and brand new dedicated fabrication process, should be quite something.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #7 of 68
  ESS DAC sounds clinical/souless, eg: Benchmark DAC2. Burr Brown DAC is the typical hi-fi sound, I like it A LOT.

I haven't heard AK4490, but it seems to be where the future is headed, NOS mode too!!! AKM just released a new one AK4497, power usage is way up and brand new dedicated fabrication process, should be quite something.

Thanks!

YES the ESS is clinical on some DACs like the Vega, but seriously you should listen to the ESS on the Moon 430HA! Totally different story!!

"I haven't heard AK4490, but it seems to be where the future is headed, NOS mode too!!! AKM just released a new one AK4497, power usage is way up and brand new dedicated fabrication process, should be quite something" This is too technical for me 
biggrin.gif
 I did not understand!

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 68
  See http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/datasheet1/?partno=AK4497EQ

This chipset looks interesting, it's spec already appears elsewhere on the net. However not that many here are are interested in DIY kits and also there are neither a commercial product that I am aware of or a DIY kits based on the chipset available as yet. Maybe later this year, in the meantime I am enjoying my dual AK4490.

Cheers.

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 68
It doesn't do native DSD, no. It must convert DSD streams into a multibit format first.

I'll also point out that the ONLY way for your typical commercial D/A chip to handle native DSD is to completely bypass ALL of its internal filters and volume control modules, as those manipulations are completely impossible within the 1-bit realm. Filtering can only happen in the analog realm, after the D/A stage.

SO many lies and misinformation on this topic.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 68
It sucks because many people can't afford it.

DSD is intrinsically superior to PCM for sound quality. That is simply a fact.

BUT: besides classic re-releases using analog master sources, there is only ONE record label (Channel Classics) that I know of that produces NATIVE DSD releases; they do this with the use of a custom-built analog mixing board that is piped directly into native DSD A/D converter. So, if you have a analog-mastered DSD source file, and NATIVE DIRECT DSD decoding DAC, you will get real DSD quality output. Very few people have both the technical knowledge (to cut through the lies) or money to make that happen unfortunately.

What makes DSD such a pain for the apathetic / incompetent industry to deal with is that when the 1-bit stream is decimated into a multi-bit format, it can NEVER be re-converted to a 1-bit stream without loss. But without using a multi-bit format, crappy commercial DACs can't do any of the things they rely on to make their output sound good. That's why HUGE respect goes out to PS Audio in spite of the mad haters and Lampizator for their commitment to DSD-only domain decoding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back