What do you think of Spotify?
Jul 23, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #46 of 78

Quote:
I've had Spotify ( in the US ) for a few days now. So far, I like it. Although, syncing to my Atrix seems like it'll take a while. At the moment, I'm listening to Tom Petty's "Mojo" album, and it's sounding really good, with my little set up. I think this service is really nice, if you're interested in an album, but aren't 100% sure. This will put those hesitations to rest. For or against. I'm probably going to buy this "Mojo" CD this weekend.

The only adverts I've heard were about bands and/or Spotify itself. Nothing off topic, which, if you're going to have ads, isn't bad.

That's what I use MOG for and it works on my iPhone so I'm not tethered to my computer.  It's hard to check out an album in a record store with an amp that requires a computer.

Quote:
I have a link to a site that will get you an in invite, but you have to give them your Facebook info. If you want a link, send me a pm.

That being said, I went the route above for the free version and I do like the fact that it integrates your iTunes catelog.

I am going to stick with MOG, though. While both use 320kbps for the computer, only MOG streams to iOS at 320kbps on wifi and I think it is the only one that allows wireless downloads at 320 Kbps. It was the reason I left Rhapsody and will keep me with MOG until spotify upgrades. I use AirPlay units around the house, so this is a critical feature.

The main page at spotify.com didn't require Facebook information, just your email address.

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #47 of 78
Spotify put you on a waiting list when I signed up. So I went with a service called Klout that gave an immediate key via email when you signed up via Facebook. They also gave me a code that others could use to do the same thing. I don't care if anyone uses it, but I know others wanted an invite, so I offered it since it worked for me and others.

Spotify may not require an invite at this point, so it may not be an issue anymore.

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #49 of 78
Weird, I was under the impression that it spent 320 to mobile as well as desktop.

In the end, what I've found I'll be using Spotify for is pretty much only to check out new bands and I want to know if I'll like an album before I buy it. Beyond that, I'm sticking with iTunes.

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #50 of 78
Personally, I don't see much reason to buy more CDs with streaming at 320kbps. Sure, I may buy the occasional release...like the Beatles Mono Box.. but 320kbps is good enough for most music I listen to.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #51 of 78
Streaming services never have all the music I want to buy.  My favorite artist is Zappa and only Pandora has him that I know of, and you can't stream an album.  I also own over 4000 albums and buy a few CDs every week, some new, most dirt cheap used.

Quote:
Weird, I was under the impression that it spent 320 to mobile as well as desktop.

In the end, what I've found I'll be using Spotify for is pretty much only to check out new bands and I want to know if I'll like an album before I buy it. Beyond that, I'm sticking with iTunes.

I don't have the premium service so I don't have anything that will work on my iPhone, but the way I interpret what I've read, you need to download to your PC and sync to the phone app.  You may be able to search and stream, but I haven't seen any mention of it.  I haven't read every scrap of documentation though.

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #52 of 78
I've been using Premium ever since the day it came out in the US and I'm completely hooked. I gave out my 4 free invites to my friends and a few others have paid for it (or gotten free invites elsewhere) so we can collaborate on playlists and I can get them on my phone. It's a great way to discover new music.

The quality is surprisingly good to considering it's all being streamed, there's no waiting for buffering and ogg vorbis q9 (~320kbps) is great. I haven't tried the free version but I wouldn't be surprised if the standard quality audio is fine for most people.

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #54 of 78
http://www.spotifyclassical.com/2011/07/spotify-bitrategate-story-so-far.html

Spotify continues to get heat for the lack of 320 kbps songs they have. I  think Mog will be the way to go for sound quality.

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #60 of 78
I know I can't tell the difference between 160 and actual cds (at least with my rig), so it really doesn't matter to me...

Out of curiosity, how many of you guys have rigs capable of discerning the difference and can reliably tell the difference?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back