What do you think of Muse's 2nd Law?
Oct 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

KCxSmacker

500+ Head-Fier
I have loved Muse from the beginning of their music career. I noticed HDtracks.com released their new album in 96/24 so I repurchased it after just getting the cd in the mail. What are your impressions? 

I LOVE the new album. Some new sound coming from a great band. my favorites so far are animals and follow me, but I cant stop listening to the whole album again and again. 

I would loved to see if anyone else has impressions on this album,

CHEERS!

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 31
I'm enjoying it a fair bit. I don't think it's on the level of Absolution or BH&R but it's a huge improvement over The Resistance, which was extremely disappointing. I'm not sure how I'd rank The 2nd Law against Showbiz or Origin of Symmetry yet.

The thing I noticed about this album is that it still retains the same poppy 'epicness' that was prevalent throughout The Resistance, but unlike that album, there is actually songwriting present here. The biggest problem with The Resistance is that the entire album tried to sound so 'big' but there was no substance to it. That sound had no underlying substance. There was no foundation upon which that big sound was based. With the exception of 3-4 songs, the entire albums was just big for the sake of big.

The 2nd Law isn't like that. While it retains many of the same sonic characteristics, it feels like that 'big' sound is actually based off of something. Whether we're talking about interesting electronics, creative guitar riffs, or pretty melodies, the songs actually have something to them. They have their own sounds and are not just big for the sake of being big.

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:
I'm enjoying it a fair bit. I don't think it's on the level of Absolution or BH&R but it's a huge improvement over The Resistance, which was extremely disappointing. I'm not sure how I'd rank The 2nd Law against Showbiz or Origin of Symmetry yet.

The thing I noticed about this album is that it still retains the same poppy 'epicness' that was prevalent throughout The Resistance, but unlike that album, there is actually songwriting present here. The biggest problem with The Resistance is that the entire album tried to sound so 'big' but there was no substance to it. That sound had no underlying substance. There was no foundation upon which that big sound was based. With the exception of 3-4 songs, the entire albums was just big for the sake of big.

The 2nd Law isn't like that. While it retains many of the same sonic characteristics, it feels like that 'big' sound is actually based off of something. Whether we're talking about interesting electronics, creative guitar riffs, or pretty melodies, the songs actually have something to them. They have their own sounds and are not just big for the sake of being big.

Could not agree more. I feel like they have had a major change for the better from Resistance. OoS was my favorite so I dont think anything could top that... but we will see lol. after OoS I'm with you that Absolution and BHR are the best Muse has had. 

I was just happy to see HDtracks have them, All my other Muse albums are 44.1/16

cheers

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 31
i would say its better than Resistance and Black Holes and Showbiz, but in my opinion thats not really saying much. Origins of Symmetry is my favorite, followed closely by Absolution. Though one thing The 2nd Law has going for it, is that the HD version sounds freaking impeccable, loads of dynamic range and it never even gets close to clipping. so thats a plus, so its got the best sound quality out of any of their cds

i got it from the muse website though, not HDTracks, it was more money there, and you have to deal with their downloader thing 

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 31
I never care about muse, they never gaves me what I like in a band, but I have to say that this album engaging me.
Love the sound and some of the songs remains me u2 (acthung baby! Era), Queen, Prince and even Radiohead.
Great album, my favorite of them, anyway I'm going to listen to older stuff and let's see what happens.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:
I never care about muse, they never gaves me what I like in a band, but I have to say that this album engaging me.
Love the sound and some of the songs remains me u2 (acthung baby! Era), Queen, Prince and even Radiohead.
Great album, my favorite of them, anyway I'm going to listen to older stuff and let's see what happens.

haha yea I have a few friends like that. The nice thing is Muse seems to change their sound each album imho and feel there is always one or two songs someone can chill to. I agree with the feeling of u2, queen,prince, and radiohead, it really made me smile. ^_^

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 31
I have to disagree... This might be the first Muse album I won't be buying 
frown.gif

I really wanted to enjoy it, but I was very disappointed when I heard the full album. Although I didn't like any of the songs that were released previously, I kept an open mind. I actually can't remember any truly great and epic songs, or even guitar riffs. I admire when bands are willing to experiment and explore new influences and sounds, but in this case this album is a mess, different styles and concepts thrown in together in a way that lacks cohesiveness. Sorry if I sound too harsh or negative, but I didn't like this album at all.  

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:
I have to disagree... This might be the first Muse album I won't be buying 
frown.gif

I really wanted to enjoy it, but I was very disappointed when I heard the full album. Although I didn't like any of the songs that were released previously, I kept an open mind. I actually can't remember any truly great and epic songs, or even guitar riffs. I admire when bands are willing to experiment and explore new influences and sounds, but in this case this album is a mess, different styles and concepts thrown in together in a way that lacks cohesiveness. Sorry if I sound too harsh or negative, but I didn't like this album at all.  

Nah everyone has a right to their opinion. I will admit the album was messy in the cohesive aspect but I do like the music. thanks for the input ^_^

cheers

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 31
The only songs I liked from this album were Follow Me and a bit of Liquid State. As a whole I found it even just as dissapointing as The Resistance if not more. I ended up deleting the ones with a dubstep-y sound from my library. Although I have to agree that in 24/96 the quality is impecable.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:
The HD FLAC version has a different master so it has more dynamic sound and doens't clip compared to the MP3 or CD versions.

Do you have any sources for that?

I've bought the album through iTunes and checked the files in Audacity. There are no signs of any 'brickwalling' and I wouldn't expect any clipping at all.

Quote:
“We made a conscious effort not to overuse brickwall compression,” Bellamy says, by way of possible explanation.

See: http://www.emusician.com/artists/0767/muse/149550

I would be surprised if the mp3 and CD versions would differ, but you never know..

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #12 of 31
I've liked most of what Muse has released but after hearing Undisclosed Desires, I had the feeling that they were going in a different direction and the new album proves that to me. When I heard the first single, Madness, from 2nd Law, I was very disappointed but remained open to possibly buying it anyway. After I heard all the songs when they streamed them, I knew that I wouldn't be buying it and didn't.

I blame Kate Hudson. It seems like many good bands have gone astray after one of the members gets together with or marries a movie or TV actress. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 31
I think they need to call it a day now, they've wrote some great stuff and are a fantastic live band but he's just pouring out bad Queen rip offs these days. Seems to be Hot Space he's into with this album.. Nevermind. They were a brilliant band for a while!

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #14 of 31

That's the single of Madness on Amazon MP3 on the top. And the 96/24 FLAC on the bottom. The single and album version might be different. Also when I stream it on Zune or Spotify and I check the peak meter on the windows volume control it stays maxed out and the end of the song.

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:
I think they need to call it a day now, they've wrote some great stuff and are a fantastic live band but he's just pouring out bad Queen rip offs these days. Seems to be Hot Space he's into with this album.. Nevermind. They were a brilliant band for a while!

My thoughts as well.  I listened to the album once and haven't felt like hearing it again.  They've gone in a direction I don't care for.  The over the top style and their derivative nature is really wearing on me now.  "Absolution" was really good.  "Black Holes" was even better.  "The Resistance" was a step back and this one is a major leap back from that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back