What do you think is the best sounding player?
Jan 1, 2013 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ROBSCIX

Headphoneus Supremus
There are many different audio player applications to choose from for new and seasoned audio lovers to enjoy.  If you are like me you have tried many and have settled on 1 or 2 that offer you the features and sound quality you want.  However, features or cosmetics aside, which player do you think actually provides the best overall sound quality?

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 19
My Colorfly C3 and the E17 sound good to me. :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 19
I've played music from Mediamonkey, iTunes, and foobar2000, and I can't say as I hear any difference. That said, I don't have a proper DAC, just subpar onboard sound, at this point.

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 19
Many well-known players support bit-perfect playback. If you have any audio glitches it's most likely crazy buffer settings or a problem with your PC configuration (usually drivers, see DPC latency).

I'd stay away from the more obscure ones. First of all, they are usually not very user friendly, support only few formats and often no plugins and probably no-one has ever checked proper bit-perfect playback.
And the claims regarding software induced jitter etc. are pretty much nonsense.

Unless you have checked that two players support bit-perfect playback and have done a proper blind test with significant results there's no point in arguing which one sounds better.

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 19
I read threads and thread of this person or that person suggesting this player sounds better over that one.
True, bit perfect should sound the same from player to player but many suggest it doesn't based on one factor or another.

Which is why I was asking for peoples opinions on what player they think sounds best.

Just meant as a discussion, not an argument.

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
I read threads and thread of this person or that person suggesting this player sounds better over that one.
True, bit perfect should sound the same from player to player but many suggest it doesn't based on one factor or another.

Either a misconfiguration or these people are delusional.

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 19
I *swear* I can hear a noticeable upgrade in quality when using Foobar as opposed to iTunes....but its possibly just a placebo effect.

I used to hop between players and spent countless hours testing configurations, etc. 

I just went back to iTunes. 

Cause for me, I just want a library that holds my music, and syncs with my iPod/iPhone. All my real listening I do on my iPod Classic or through a system, so my library is optimized to deliver that experience. 

I guess it just depends on what you want to use it for, or how how much time you are willing to spend tweaking settings and discovering new features. Or where you spend most of your time listening to music. 

I stopped worrying about my library, and instead started focusing on the actual files(quality, metadata) and the playback equipment used. 

Granted though, I painstakingly enjoy organizing my music library. 

Some people have rock gardens. My zen garden is my iTunes library, or my off-and-on relationship with Foobar. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 19
I started with Winamp, learned to configure that anyway I wanted but found the organizational aspects were a bit lacking.  Went to Foobar, learned to configure that anyway I wanted.  Better organizational aspects.  Lately I have been using Album Player, great organization IMO, works great for the way I organize my collection.

I get bored though and switch back and fourth, working with this player or that player.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #14 of 19
Colorfly C3 with C&C BH amp is best sounding portable combination for me.

among good music players for OSX i find Audirvana Plus is the best, Pure Music also is very nice. Amarra is too expensive for what it can, tried also Decibel and Fidelia but did not like either.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #15 of 19
I´m happy listening to jazz, blues, reggae, and rock&roll, from Grooveshark (I think it has it´s own player).  Can´t choose between IE9 64-bit, and Chrome current version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back