What do you think is the best AMP for $200 - $300?
Mar 25, 2009 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

hakjk

100+ Head-Fier
I already read countless thread, but I still can’t decide what to look for.
List is the popular amps around $200-$300 in price range
1.X-Can V3 (stock:pinkfloyd mod is not in same price range)
2.Little Dot MKIII (tube rolling)
3.Darkvoice 336SE (tube rolling) or 332
4.Soha with jisbos
5.Millet max
6.Something else
I’ll use it with my 0404 usb and Senn HD600 and Ultrasone HFI780 as well.
If the amp cannot satisfy both headphones then hd600 is first.
Thank you for all your thoughts.
Please vote if you have any experience with above amps.

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 24
Neither to say the best until tube rolling.

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 24
You certainly pick polar opposites in terms of headphones! Ultrasone HFI-780 is super-efficient and low impedance while Sennheiser HD-600 is quite inefficient and high impedance.

I really don't think there's much that will be best for both. M^3 is nice for both, but also a bit out of your price range. CKK-III will also be nice.

From that list, I'd say SOHA+JISBOS.

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 24
I guess I have to change the question a little bit..
thanks for your advice.

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 24
I would pick the Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. Caliente here. It's already known to work well with the HD650, and I can't help but imagine it would pair superbly with the HFI-780 for two reasons.

1) The Caliente has absolutely superb control over the low end spectrum.
2) The HFI-780 is somewhat bright, whereas the Caliente is slightly warm. This should help take off some of the edge of the 780.

There are two other options I would personally consider in this price range.

1) M^3 (Rockhopper Audio builds them occasionally)
2) Audio-gd Compass (Combination Amp/DAC which is very customizable and can support a wide range of headphones depending on how you configure it. Configuration is also rather painless)

I haven't looked into tube amps much, but I've heard good things about the Lunchbox Pro and some of the Darkvoice amps.

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by grammicci14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MKIII

OTL for a 35 ohm headphone? Not such a great idea huh?

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OTL for a 35 ohm headphone? Not such a great idea huh?

That depends on the OTL in question. OTLs like the Singlepower Extreme or Zana Deux have more than adequate current delivery and will drive low impedances just fine.

Back to the topic, I own a Millet MOSFET Max, Millet Mini Max, SOHA/ JISBOS, SOHA 2 and DV336SE. The hybrids are all extremely good with low impedance headphones like my 32 ohm Alessandros. With my 300 ohm Senns I like the Millet Mini-Max, SOHA/ JISBOS or SOHA 2 particularly well. The DV336SE is excellent with the Senns but is a little noisy (hum) with low impedance phones. So, I havent bothered using the DV336SE much with low impedances since I have numerous amps that do drive low impedances well.

Pictured here is a Mosfet Max, two Millet Mini-MAX and a SOHA/ JISBOS in the wooden case.

IMG_0517.jpg

I voted for the Millet Max because you routinely see these for sale by DIYers, although all my hybrids except for one were bought used.

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 24
Look into the compact tube Hybrid..great amp with fantastic value for money..Millet hybrids never worked well with Sennheisers for me ...The Ck2III that fallen angel mentioned is really good with the Sennheisers.

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 24
Isn't there a CK2III on the FS here for $200? That is the best amp for the $$ in your case.

I am waiting on a EF-1 modded for my ALO 780s. That is supposed to be top notch in the sub $300 for low impedance cans.

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 24
Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

I read countless threads and carefully selected above list.

I’m kind of surprised that nobody cares for X-can V3.
From my reading V3 is very good performer even without mod (better with mod of course).
Is there any reason why people doesn’t like it much these days?
Is it really inferior compare to others in the list?

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #13 of 24
It isn't that inferior, but the fact is that DIY will always be better bang for buck, even if you don't build yourself. This is because DIY is usually sold at or for a small markup on parts cost, while commercial amps need to have a much larger markup to make sales and the business financially viable. That is the reason why the SOHA and CK2III are the front runners. With high Z phones I would also suggest the Bijou, but that would run about $350 if you build it yourself, and I am not sure whether you are willing to do that.

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #14 of 24
Head-Direct EF1 is excellent with low impedance cans, and surprisingly good with Senn HD650.

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #15 of 24
This is true when you are buying those amp as new...however if you look at the price of used ones, all the amps that are in the list can be bought for around $250 + -$50 depends on the condition and the parts used like new tubes, better parts for diy.
So I'm not here asking which is better bang for buck, but pure performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back