What do you think about sound quality of these tracks
Jul 11, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #31 of 97

Quote:
Oh yeah, totally, after one minute mark the mp3 is totally different. It sounds like the remixer added some low frequencies on the eq while mixing and it created the distortion, ignore my previous post.

I'm hearing the same thing.  Right around the 1 minute region the mp3 version sounds like I'm listening to it through television static.

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #32 of 97
That's why I was so confused earlier, these 2 songs aren't from the same CD.

It's not the mp3 rip itself that caused those differences, or the ripper him/herself, but the original on the CD is different than the other original the FLAC is sourced from. Which is why I said those compilation CD's are often different, as they wanna mix it up a little because they know some people might already know the original.

I usually listen with replaygain on, and once those 2 tracks were matched, the vocals were more or less the same volume level, but there's quite a dramatic difference in the synths (in terms of volume and programming).

It certainly sounds like they went to eleven with the synth's on the mp3 version, some of it is reprogrammed and there are indeed extra layers (LAYERS, THANK YOU OHHGOURAMI, THAT'S THE WORD I WAS LOOKING FOR LOL).

And about the synth sounding like distortion, it's worthy to note that electrostatics and ortho's are pretty much unbeatable in terms of speed. The HD800 is real quick too, but I guess it's treble happiness messes things up with this type of song, it ain't worth the pain =P. That's pretty much why me and ohhgourami heard it properly as a layer of synth, and not just some grainy distortion.

I'm sure the soundcard is fantastic for what it is, but it's incomparable to a proper DAC. The soundcard used the AK4358 with a THD spec of -94db or so, whereas a top of the line Sabre32 chip has a vanishingly low THD of -120db, that's many orders of magnitude lower, and keep in mind the differences in power supplies and analog sections.

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #33 of 97
 Ok, done. For instant checking, both versions in one track. Replaygain used as well. http://rghost.net/14238421 - first part is original, second one is a distorted mess from OP. Second one sounds horrible, no?

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #34 of 97
What's already been said man, I hear the second part distorted, like someone played with the EQ a bit too much, although it could also sound like some crappy synth. Obviously other people hear more synth. So in a word yes, the first part sound cleaner. Thought I doubt that when I'm drunk dancing I'd give a ****. Just a thought, what was the point of comparing those songs? Did you have a bet with someone or something?

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #37 of 97
Quote:
Obviously other people hear more synth. So in a word yes, the first part sound cleaner. Thought I doubt that when I'm drunk dancing I'd give a ****. Just a thought, what was the point of comparing those songs? Did you have a bet with someone or something?

And thats really strange that others think that this is another synth. I actually expected totally different response, just like what I hear, but it seems others can hear some layers in this, while its just a heavy distortion.

Quote:
This is really audible distortion, much worse than previous files.
Does ReplayGain add more distortion?

Nope, I recorded it with digital mix, both versions are without clipping or any new distortions. Just as they were before, but with normalized volume.

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #38 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlylover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not the mp3 rip itself that caused those differences, or the ripper him/herself, but the original on the CD is different than the other original the FLAC is sourced from. Which is why I said those compilation CD's are often different, as they wanna mix it up a little because they know some people might already know the original.

I've heard original compilation and it was not distorted as these files in OP. All files had equal sound as originals, byte by byte. I don't know why you with better equipment can't hear the same as I can. Probably its because you have electrostatic phones and they sound different from electromechanical speakers.

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #40 of 97
Quote:
Quote:
 I've heard original compilation and it was not distorted as these files in OP. All files had equal sound as originals, byte by byte.

Wow, I can't believe a ripper would go through all this trouble to completely change a song =P. You're right, he must have been a drunk pirate or something ahahah.

I still hold my stance though, everything sounds deliberate and clean over here.

The resolution you get from the O2's is otherworldy, I wish I can just email them over or something for you to hear for a second, because as it stands, everyone thinks I'm a crazy person ahahah.

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #42 of 97
Quote:
The resolution you get from the O2's is otherworldy, I wish I can just email them over or something for you to hear for a second, because as it stands, everyone thinks I'm a crazy person ahahah.

Theyre colouring the sound btw?

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #43 of 97
Wait, question: If you have the original track in all it's high quality and full length glory, why does this matter?
Is that the only one from the list in your OP that you have the original of or something?

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #44 of 97

Quote:
Wow, I can't believe a ripper would go through all this trouble to completely change a song =P. You're right, he must have been a drunk pirate or something ahahah.

I still hold my stance though, everything sounds deliberate and clean over here.

Just want to clarify.  Do both tracks sound the same to you?  I do believe they are a bit different.  I hear this extra layer of fuzzy sounding synth, which could easily could easily be mistaken for distortion.

Kind of reminds me on Sharp Dressed Man by ZZ Top.  There's also this fuzzy effect in the background of the song which sounds like distortion but...it's just the bass guitar probably with effects.  Purposely done that way, not because the recording is crap.

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #45 of 97
Quote:
 Theyre colouring the sound btw?

Nah they're pretty neutral, but it really depends on ones preferences on to what 'neutral' is. They are not your typical treble boosted headphone giving an illusion of more detail that you will commonly find around here. Which is what's probably causing so many here to hear the synth as a mess of distortion.

Quote:
Wait, question: If you have the original track in all it's high quality and full length glory, why does this matter?
Is that the only one from the list in your OP that you have the original of or something?

I think the OP just wanted to know what the hell was going on with those tracks in the first post.
tongue.gif

Quote:
Just want to clarify.  Do both tracks sound the same to you?  I do believe they are a bit different.  I hear this extra layer of fuzzy sounding synth, which could easily could easily be mistaken for distortion.

Kind of reminds me on Sharp Dressed Man by ZZ Top.  There's also this fuzzy effect in the background of the song which sounds like distortion but...it's just the bass guitar probably with effects.  Purposely done that way, not because the recording is crap.

Nope they are certainly different over here. I hear the same as you do, it's fuzzy but it's still clearly separable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back