What do you think about artists who add record crackling noises to tracks?
May 7, 2009 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

lifesundeath

Head-Fier
I used to think that it sounded pretty cool, especially with artist like DJ Shadow who use lots of real records. But a lot of people just add the crackling for effect, and now that I'm listening on some good equipment I find it pretty annoying. Anyway, what do ya'll think?
icon10.gif

May 7, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 25
Johnny Cash did it with style on American IV. All in all, though, I do think it's a rather boring effect.

May 7, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 25
Portishead does it all the time, and I think it fits because Portishead is the kind of band whose albums you get on LP not CD. Basically I'm saying it is permissible but only for certain bands.

May 8, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 25
DJ Shadow and Portishead... it fits in there because electronic music can sound cold at times. However, I think lots of the crackling is from the samples... can someone more knowledgeable verify this?

May 8, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 25
Like anything, it can be used well, or used poorly. So, it's a case by case thing, I can't say it's all good or all bad.

May 8, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 25
I think that it was a really cool effect when trip-hop came to be, but seriously now I think it's a real disservice to the hi-fi community. I mean crackles in LPs are effectively blips and clips in MP3s, and no one wants to hear those.

May 8, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 25
I think they (those who use it) would call it artistic license. And that's true, but I don't have to like it or buy it. Vote with your wallet. If you don't like it then don't buy it. If you like it then go for it.

May 8, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 25
Originally, it was cool. Now it seems played out. It's like hidden tracks. Actually, those were always lame.

May 8, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Originally, it was cool. Now it seems played out. It's like hidden tracks. Actually, those were always lame.

I always thought that hidden tracks were kinda fun. There's no surprise any more, but I like having some outtakes or an unpolished song or two somewhere at the end.

Also wanted to point out that vinyl, done right, doesn't crackle or add noise.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always thought that hidden tracks were kinda fun. There's no surprise any more, but I like having some outtakes or an unpolished song or two somewhere at the end.

Also wanted to point out that vinyl, done right, doesn't crackle or add noise.
smily_headphones1.gif

Right, this is what I meant when I said that crackling is to LP as clips and blips are to MP3s...it's an error, something to be avoided. But it's been chic for a while for some reason, I think it should stop...

May 8, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a cliche; I thought it went out of fashion long ago, together with the synthetic shakuhachi.

The new in-thing is artificial clipping.

Lololol!

May 8, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #15 of 25
I think its total bullsh!+. For hip hop, I think it was supposed to give the music that "authenticity" so sorely lacking in current music, but it really does sound cheap and annoying. Its worse if you have the real vinyl of a song with wax artifacts added, plus I can tell its a loop. Static from sampling is acceptable, added static is faking the funk in the worst way. I have friends who do this, and they love vinyl, but they don't understand its like me telling Chris Rock jokes like they were mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back