What do you set the volume at on your source and amp?
Apr 14, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, isn't the point of an amplifier to, uh, amplify? In that regard, I keep the volume on my computer low, less than half-way, and let the amp do all of the adjusting. My CD player, on the other hand, has a fixed output, so I don't have to worry about its volume, which happens to be extremely close to my computer's volume anyway.

The point is also that it's likely higher quality and lower noise than your source. Even a CMoy easily bests my computer and iPod outputs in the noise department. Absolutely trumps them. Since noise in these circuits is generally constant-level regardless of volume, the louder your source, the lower the noise floor on the input. Assuming your amp is more silent than the source, it won't add significant noise, and will keep the source's noise down low because of the high volume. If you lower the source volume and the noise floor stays the same you effectively increase the noise floor.

But as others have said, your source needs to be decent enough not to clip or distort at full volume. Into a high-impedance load you're probably okay.

As said, YMMV. Do what sounds best to you.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #17 of 19
Keep my Ipod volume wherever because it isn't affected at all when I change volume thru the amp circuitry. In other words, the amp's controlling volume not the Ipod. But I'm using either Moon Audio LOD or ALO cryodock thru the lineout which is why the Ipod volume control is bypassed

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's a 2nd generation Nano, it's not a true line-out. You can still change the volume upon hooking it up to a dock. It still bypasses the headphone amplifier section however. I'm not sure what the case is for the 1st generation Nano.

Got my lineout today. (thanks joefosho315-it's excellent!) My iPod volume control does not work when using it, which indicates that it is indeed a true lineout. I've got a 2G Nano, black, 8 gig. (new at XMas)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back