What do you set the volume at on your source and amp?
Apr 13, 2007 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

AzN1337c0d3r

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a newbie at this whole amp business. I've owned several rathar easy to drive headphones in the pass and so didn't really hear the difference an amp can do. However, I've recently accquired Senn 580s and wow even a Cmoy makes a HUGE difference.

But I'm confused as to where to set the volume controls on the source and Cmoy.

Should it be half and half?
Max source and adjust via amp?
Max amp and adjust via source?

I do the last one because my reasoning is that if the amp on the source is shoddy, it's going to distort when asked to be driven harder. On the other hand, the amp on the Cmoy is of known quality and several orders of magnitude lower in distortion and noise and so maxing that out would minimize the amount I would have to turn up the source.

Is this correct? Can any fellow head-fiers provide advice? Do not afraid to be technical with me. The more technical, the better. I'm an electrical engineer so fire away
580smile.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 19
My audio chain is Foobar to computer soundcard to an external dac to an amp to my headphones. I typically max out the volume on foobar and then control the volume to my headphone via the amp. I don't know if that's the "correct" way, but it sure is the easiest!
icon10.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 19
I tend to keep the source at its max volume. Hopefully it has a good enough output stage that it's not going to clip or distort into a high impedance, and this will allow you to keep the amp volume low and thus amplify less of the inherent noise in the source and anything picked up by the interconnect. In short, the larger the input voltage, the less effect the should-be-constant noise will have.

Also with a digital source, especially a computer, you may be dropping bits of accuracy as you decrease the volume, depending on how the volume control is implemented.

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 19
Hmm..this is another amp mindf**k for me. I also thought you were supposed to keep the source low and just control volume totally with the amp.

So...keeping the amp low is what keeps the static/hiss out?? I mean, let's say I bought the Sandisk e280 (supposedly hissy) with the intention of amping it with a Supermicro... can I even enjoy this amp with such a poor source?

I have a lot to learn...

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't sure what to do either. So I bought a lineout. Problem solved.
biggrin.gif

Cooter,

Is the lineout on ipod a true line-out? My wife has a nano, that's why I ask.

Thanks

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cooter,
Is the lineout on ipod a true line-out? My wife has a nano, that's why I ask.
Thanks

If it's a 2nd generation Nano, it's not a true line-out. You can still change the volume upon hooking it up to a dock. It still bypasses the headphone amplifier section however. I'm not sure what the case is for the 1st generation Nano.

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 19
I've got a 2G Nano. I'll have to take Veniogenesis' word on it right now as my lineout hasn't arrived yet. I ordered it from fellow head-fier joefosho315 and he said it shipped yesterday. I'll give my report when it arrives.

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #12 of 19
Well, isn't the point of an amplifier to, uh, amplify? In that regard, I keep the volume on my computer low, less than half-way, and let the amp do all of the adjusting. My CD player, on the other hand, has a fixed output, so I don't have to worry about its volume, which happens to be extremely close to my computer's volume anyway.

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 19
Usually set my source 1/3 to 1/2 volume, then use my Amp where it sounds good.

Going much above 2/3 on the source could introduce clipping and/or other distortion to the amplifier. Taking into account variations in the recorded material, I'd rather leave a-lot of headroom for transients. Just my take on it. YMMV.

Andrew

Edit: Depends on what kind of source you are using...

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 19
I leave my sources at full volume, but most of them have fixed line outputs so the point is moot.
tongue.gif

My amp volume goes to about 1/4 to 1/3 if I'm listening to speakers, or anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 depending on the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back