What do you say to the skeptics?
Apr 27, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Nah, I keep her locked up.
tongue.gif
Kidding of course.

Actually, I "hide" it in plain view. To her, the gear all looks the same. VCR...headphone amp...doesn't really matter as it's all "electrical junk"and of little interest to her. Hey, she doesn't ask and I don't tell.

Priceless, absolutely priceless. Electrical junk my foot... hey at least you're not in trouble for it.

As for the topic at hand... I've really given up trying. If someone shows an interest (hasn't happened yet), I'd let them have a listen, maybe point them to Head-fi or a place where they can get nice budget gear. But otherwise... it's less stress not letting others know.

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #17 of 49
lol...I buy individual parts like resistors, so they don't seem to mind those. Then somehow out of the blue, an amp appears a few days later
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
lol...I buy individual parts like resistors, so they don't seem to mind those. Then somehow out of the blue, an amp appears a few days later
tongue.gif

I like that one. It's almost as good as "honey, it came with the house".
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Clearly the best strategy. I also use my wife's lack of interest to my advantage.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Uh, we're talking headphone gear and not about one's sex life.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
B...U...R...R...N...N..N!!!!

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #20 of 49
I think my wife is just happy for me to have a hobby that keeps me off the streets and out of the bars. She's willing to forgive the cost. Well, at least she has forgiven the costs she's been aware of
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
tongue.gif

Eh.. I think the look I got when I pulled out the whole pink bag full of my M3 parts from Mouser and dumped it out on the kitchen table was worse than any reaction to anything I've bought whole.
blink.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Uh, we're talking headphone gear and not about one's sex life.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
B...U...R...R...N...N..N!!!!

HAHA I actually spit water onto my labtop keyboard when I read that!

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #24 of 49
All I can yell you is my wife likes my HD600s, BUT what she likes better is the the speakers make no noise at night when I am watching TV or listening to music on them. Anything that keeps the quiet at night works for her ALMOST....

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #25 of 49
for the skeptics who can hear, i jsut say "listen" and they hear.

for those who cant they dont need to. its my money. they spend their money on stuff i think is stupid, i just observe some mild manners and keep my mouf chutt.

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #26 of 49
well, most of my relatives dont even bother to take a listen and almost ignores it..... i dont know why
confused.gif
they usually just stay put with their ipod buds.

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #27 of 49
DIY is a great way to cloak this addiction. For some reason, no one ever asks how much the components cost. I'll just mention that the PCB was $12 and that I like to fool around with electronics. Works every time; they think I do this for a little bit of fun with a packet of 100 resistors that cost $1.19 and the rest of the stuff costs about the same. The only people who "get" it are fellow geeks and nuts who know what it takes to see a project through.

As for the headphones, I just don't bring them up. If someone listens to them and appreciates them, they're almost invariably an audiophile of some stripe and already have an idea what they cost.

But generally, I keep a low profile. I don't talk about this stuff with "outsiders" unless asked directly.

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
for the skeptics who can hear, i jsut say "listen" and they hear.

for those who cant they dont need to. its my money. they spend their money on stuff i think is stupid, i just observe some mild manners and keep my mouf chutt.

Ditto... it's funny, but my mother hears SQ differences clearly, and my younger brother (who I share a condo with) simply cannot. Last month my mother visited from Ohio, & had a listen to my gear... she was noticeably impressed just listening for a few seconds in the background while Emailing someone, and said to my brother "listen to this"... he put on the headphones for 10-15 seconds, said "that's nice" and took 'em off. Just seems to depend on people's hearing abilities and inclinations.

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
I don't. I have one friend who insists that bose is the best, and backs it up with "ferrari's (or some other type of nice car, I don't remember) use it". He also insists that an amp is ridiculous, and that my HD650 sounds just fine out of my ipod. He also says that "burning in" is crazy, and all it does is waste electricity and ruin the headphones. He also insists that monster cable is the absolute best brand of cable you can get. To top it off, he's one of those know-it-alls who will simply refuse to listen to anything you try to explain to them about good brands and what an amp is, etc... He says I'm ignorant. I personally don't care, less people asking to listen to my headphones.

I have a hard time believing this is a friend. True friends don't let friends listen to Bose!
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #30 of 49
I'm with the "I don't tell... and no one asks" crowd. Parents just think I have a couple of pairs of headphones as they don't seem to realise that they are all different. Wouldn't matter to them anyway, they think that headphones are just what you use to listen to something when you don't want to annoy anyone as opposed to something that beats the speakers for quality.

As for friends... well they aren't that bothered either. The only one I've spoken to about it could kind of understand but that's cause his hobby is model car racing and, although he's now fully sponsered for all his parts, his car would cost about £2-3 thousand (for something that's only like 12" in lengh total) and would then have another £3-4 thousand in spare parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back