what do you guys use at the gym?
Feb 15, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #16 of 30
My gym phones are JVC Marshmallows

they have the benefit of me not caring what happens to them.

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #17 of 30
JVC Marshmallows with UE tips. Great isolation and damn durable. I don't like taking my Super.fi's to the gym as I like the Shure olive tips on them, but all they do is act like a sponge.

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE11s are my gym choice!

That said, when using a treadmill the sound of my footfalls can be annoying with any IEM. For the last week I've been using the PX100 which are okay but not the best sound. I've just ordered a set of HFI780s, maybe a bit too big and uncomfortable, but for the aerobic parts of my workout may be fine.

I use the ue11's as well. I don't hear my footsteps on the treadmill. I mostly do resistance training though.

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #20 of 30
I use Koss KSC-75, they're very lightweight and sound good enough. Probably not the best thing if you want to impress girls though.
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #21 of 30
I only use the stock ibuds cause I won't care much when they die. I'm thinking that sweat + any IEM/headphone is not a good thing.

Plus, when you're working out, you can't focus too much on the sound quality. Unless you're one of those who are reading magazines while doing cardio - and that intensity doesn't even count as working out!

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #23 of 30
I get tired of catching the wire but either the KSC35 or Portapros.

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #26 of 30
Think about trying something relatively inexpensive, so that if you don't like them or you find that perspiration affects them, you haven't lost a costly pair of 'phones. I try never to be seen in one of these "gyms" you speak of, but a friend has good results with her Creative EP630 canal phones -- not audiophile, but the silicone sleeves are comfortable and the 'phones stay in the ear fairly well.

If you find you like using in-ears, then you can "graduate" to something more expensive, if you require higher-quality (and pricier) sound.

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #28 of 30
Within the category of in-ears, I think it's important to make a distinction between ear buds (packed in with various players) and canal phones or IEMs, both of which insert into the ear canal and which isolate (a bit, in the case of canal phones, and appreciably, in the case of IEMs). Sorry -- not trying to be pedantic, but at a gym or on public transportation, fit and isolation can mean a lot.

Ear buds barely hang in some people's outer ears; canal phones and IEMs fit more securely and would seem more gym-worthy (with ear buds, you would have to blast your music louder to overcome ambient noise and music at the gym; with canal phones and especially IEMs, your volume would not have to be so loud).

Edit: Something like Westone UM1's, which have braided cords to cut down on microphonics, and using silicone sleeves (since the excellent Comply foamies might absorb perspiration), might be a comfortable, reasonably priced IEM to try in a gym setting. Ergonomically, they should do the trick.

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: Something like Westone UM1's, which have braided cords to cut down on microphonics, and using silicone sleeves (since the excellent Comply foamies might absorb perspiration), might be a comfortable, reasonably priced IEM to try in a gym setting. Ergonomically, they should do the trick.

I use UM1s with Shure olive tips; been using them at the gym for over a year with no problems.

-Pony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back