What do you guys think of iTunes +
Feb 18, 2008 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

weste47

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering your thoughts on it. Do you tend to buy from it occasionaly, always, never. I've been buying from it more often lately now that more albums are being upgraded to itunes plus. Of course sometimes it is nice to buy an album on cd to get the art and all that with it, but when some albums are pretty expensive compared to the itunes plus version then I like to go for that instead. What do you guys think about itunes plus?

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 18
There are those that have a no-lossy policy, and I can agree to that to a point, but to anyone getting music from a variety of sources (FM, Internet, Sirius/XM, etc.) it sometimes seems besides the point for certain material. I say iTunes+, Amazon, etc. are fine for some material (what bitrate do you really need for the Ramones?). Besides most big box discount chains were CDs get close in price (if you're interested in the entire album) have their own set of compromises. If I'm interested in an entire album though I still usually go optical media.

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 18
CDs are mostly cheaper in the stores nowadays if you shop around. Although new vinyl is silly expensive at the moment in the UK.

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 18
itunes blows IMO. I've been a MAC users since day one but always hated the sound quality of itunes. Until Now. Check this itunes plun-in out. It is also for pc as well. with this I haven't heard ANY program that sounds better.
You Won't be able to tell the difference between mp3 192 and Flac files..No Kidding...Check it out...Plug your headphones in, and listen to the difference, you will be BLOWN away...
biggrin.gif

http://www.srs-store.com/store-plugi...wow-plugin.asp

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 18
I don't usually listen to music while it's on my computer. I usually get it onto my ipod then listen to it for longer amounts of time.

Feb 19, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 18
Never.
I like to have physical discs and lossless, as well as control over the rip process.

I do use iTunes to tag my EAC rips, and occasionally listen from it too. Usually I use Foobar to listen on the PC though. I need iTunes for my ipod and iphone.

For me, the best aspect of iTunes is the tagging. Its just so quick and straightforward.

If iTunes would use EAC's method of ripping, and adopt FLAC compatibility, they would really have something. But they wont, since FLAC would be competing with Apple Lossless.

Feb 19, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 18
I've bought and upgraded a few albums to iTunes+, and I have to say, I'm thankful that there isn't more selection, or else, my wallet would be in trouble! I like the convenience of buying/downloading off iTunes, and 256kbps is fine for me on my rig - I can't differentiate between that and lossless. If I see something I like, I usually get it off there (I think the Stars' latest album was my last purchase, over Christmas)

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokenganjaclan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
itunes blows IMO. I've been a MAC users since day one but always hated the sound quality of itunes. Until Now. Check this itunes plun-in out. It is also for pc as well. with this I haven't heard ANY program that sounds better.
You Won't be able to tell the difference between mp3 192 and Flac files..No Kidding...Check it out...Plug your headphones in, and listen to the difference, you will be BLOWN away...
biggrin.gif

http://www.srs-store.com/store-plugi...wow-plugin.asp

You need better gear, then you'll be able to easily hear the difference with good recordings.

SRS iWOW, IMO is rubbish. You can't quit iTunes with it installed, it has the most god-awful interface (like some wanky Winamp PC skin) and isn't half as good as Volume Logic (damn you Plantronics for abandoning that software).

If you're on a Mac, open up the Audio Midi Set Up application in Utilities and set your output to as 96kHz (or if you have a USB DAC, as high as it will go). Turn off the sound enhancer and equaliser in iTunes and rip your CD's with error correction on. That will get you the best quality results.

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #13 of 18
I'm glad that iTunes plus is happening, because it is acknowledgment from Apple that they (somewhat) understand that some like better quality music.

Perhaps if the interest/revenue is high enough from iTunes plus, the iPod classic will be revised in the next version with sound quality kept in mind a little more (Read: optical out please?), rather than just a space race. It is very wishful thinking though.

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need better gear, then you'll be able to easily hear the difference with good recordings.

SRS iWOW, IMO is rubbish. You can't quit iTunes with it installed, it has the most god-awful interface (like some wanky Winamp PC skin) and isn't half as good as Volume Logic (damn you Plantronics for abandoning that software).

If you're on a Mac, open up the Audio Midi Set Up application in Utilities and set your output to as 96kHz (or if you have a USB DAC, as high as it will go). Turn off the sound enhancer and equaliser in iTunes and rip your CD's with error correction on. That will get you the best quality results.

LOL, Not sure if I need better gear, I'm running my 160g Ipod linked right up to my com via the line out.(All my music is on the ipod-not in itunes library) All my music has been ripped off my original cds at AAC 320 VBR. No eq settings on my ipod or itunes. I'm just running the Iwow program set at rock. I adjusted the bass and soundstage in iwow thats it. My ears are very happy. I'm using Denon D2000s stock. And this program sounds sweet imo. The bass is hitting hard and tight, with great impact. The pulled back mid now shine, and the highs are crisp and well extended. To my ears this sounds better then my Sr-71 right out of my com.
eek.gif
Oh I don't use itunes to rip my cds, I use toast 8, when converting I use either Switch Pro or xACT. I only use itunes for importing. It works good enough to me. Only difference I hear is volume level. But with Iwow installed I can crank the level louder then I can take
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back