What do you guys rip your music in?
Sep 14, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #31 of 56
320 kbps AAC. My testing on my gear has shown me that only a very small difference existed between this and ALAC, and not always. Plus my space is a little noisy, so it's hard to be super critical with the loudspeakers. Mostly I do it for convenience at a price.

Sep 14, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #32 of 56
Since I'm using an iPod Classic as my primary source currently....

Apple Lossless for any music I care about, 192k MP3 for audio books.

320 MP3 for my Clip when I need ultimate portability.

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #33 of 56
Sound Juicer ripping to flac. It's error correction isn't as good as EAC but on a non damaged CD the error correction never kicks on on my drive anyway.

I don't know what all you people with $100++ headphone rigs are doing ripping into lossey formats as hard disk space is very cheap!

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know what all you people with $100++ headphone rigs are doing ripping into lossey formats as hard disk space is very cheap!

I spent all my money on the headphones?
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #36 of 56
I've been ripping to Apple Lossless and then making a separate 192 AAC for the iPhone/iPod using Doug's AppleScripts Lossless-to-AAC Workflow.

I'm going to start ripping to just 192 or 256 AAC and putting the Apple Lossless in a secondary library on an external disk as backup. It's too much hassle to manage the iPhone library with two different formats in my main library.

I'm not convinced I can hear a difference between 192 AAC and source.

--Chris

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #38 of 56
I don't have a portable rig, and my storage is 1 TB, so WavPack all the way.

I have compared WavPack to FLAC. WavPack yields better compression rate while having faster encoding & decoding speed. The only thing that WavPack loses to FLAC is that FLAC has better software/hardware support.

Sep 16, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #39 of 56
I am "wedded" to OSX & thus iTunes (plus I use an Apple TV as my primary music transport--yes, an Apple TV connected to a DAC), so I rip everything to ALAC. I've considered AIFF, but file size has kept me from going that route, plus, I can't tell a bit of difference between ALAC & AIFF anyway....

Sep 18, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #41 of 56
hard drive space is so ridiculously cheap, you can get a terabyte of space for under $100, there is no excuse to settle for anything less than lossless. FLAC is becoming more and more popular via torrents also.

Sep 18, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lapwing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hard drive space is so ridiculously cheap, you can get a terabyte of space for under $100, there is no excuse to settle for anything less than lossless. FLAC is becoming more and more popular via torrents also.

Of course that a 1TG external drive goes a little ridiculous with your portable player, not to mention the car battery to power it you'll need to fit on the back pocket
280smile.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by japc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course that a 1TG external drive goes a little ridiculous with your portable player, not to mention the car battery to power it you'll need to fit on the back pocket
280smile.gif

True, I think the largest ipod is like 160GB... but storage tech is growing so crazy fast right now, especially in the solid state. I bet in just a couple years we'll see a fully solid state terabyte ipod.

Sep 19, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #45 of 56
When i rip i always use some lossless codec, usually flac or wavpack.
For loss ones i use aac nero codec that is free and a great one, some consider it better that the one from apple.

About the Bitrate for mp3 or aac use foobar to do some ABX tests so you see when it starts to get transparent to your hears + gear.

encode with 320kbs mp3 its silly cause you have loss and still a reasonable big file. At 192kbs i have some difficulties to distinguish from the wav version using the IEM ( well mine aren't that great ) but with the cans i still can feel some diferences, specially related with the power of the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back