What do you guys recommend for ear plugs for use at loud events?
Jan 14, 2007 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MrEcted1

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have had tinnitus for over a year now and there is no sign of it stopping. Luckly it's tolerable most of the time. I don't want it to get any worse but I also love going to concerts and what-not. I've been scared to go to concerts for the last year because I don't want this condition to get any worse. I went to a concert with my wife the other night and I tried using earplugs (they were called Hearos with 32 decible NPR). I had a great time because I enjoyed myself but my ears weren't screaming at me after the show. The biggest problem though was that the music sounded a bit muffled. Are there any good earplugs that will lower the noise but keep the music from sounding too muffled?

I have read about earplugs called Etymotics ER-20 that are supposed to do this but after a bit of research I found that they really only lower the volume by about 12 db. Is that enough? What do you guys recommend?

Jan 14, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 10
I use the ER-20s all the time. They are my only reason for liking Etymotic
wink.gif
. I find that in most cases, they offer enough attenuation to make it comfortably through the evening. The plugs aren't terribly expensive, you should definitely try a set, and take your other plugs with you just in case. I keep my ER-20s on my key ring and have been quite surprised by how often I end up breaking them out.

Jan 14, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEcted1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I have had tinnitus for over a year now and there is no sign of it stopping. Luckly it's tolerable most of the time. I don't want it to get any worse but I also love going to concerts and what-not. I've been scared to go to concerts for the last year because I don't want this condition to get any worse. I went to a concert with my wife the other night and I tried using earplugs (they were called Hearos with 32 decible NPR). I had a great time because I enjoyed myself but my ears weren't screaming at me after the show. The biggest problem though was that the music sounded a bit muffled. Are there any good earplugs that will lower the noise but keep the music from sounding too muffled?

I have read about earplugs called Etymotics ER-20 that are supposed to do this but after a bit of research I found that they really only lower the volume by about 12 db. Is that enough? What do you guys recommend?

This 12 dB claim has been debunked by Eymotics with their own testing, and I've confirmed their claim of 20 dB myself with my own testing. The ER20 packaging explains that the 12 dB rating is based on a measurement system that does not accurately reflect the way we humans actually hear (or something to that effect). In other words, it seems that they are legally bound to disclose the 12 dB rating per the testing methods that were used to derive that result. But at the same time they can claim (and extremely accurately in my experience) that the effective rating should be 20 dB in terms of what we actually hear.

To test this, I cranked up my 2 channel system to 90 db and 70 dB using my Radio Shack SPL meter, and took careful note of those volume settings. It helps that I have digital volume control on my preamp that measures from 1 to 100 in .1 increments. Thus, I can get 33.4 and 46.2 or whatever readings most accurately match the intended dB level from my listening position. Then is was a simple matter of listening at 90 dB with the ER20 inserted, versus 70 dB without the ER20. After repeated tests, I couldn't detect any noticable difference in volume. When I tested at 78 dB without the ER20's inserted, it obvioulsy sounded a lot louder than the 20 dB attenuated 90 dB signal (i.e., the effective signal with the ER20 insterted was 70 dB, not 78 dB). In other words, Etymotics is correct in their assertion that 20 dB is the correct number. No doubt about it.

That, and the ER20's actually work as advertised in terms of attenuating the signal evenly across the frequency range. They're not "perfect" is this regard and you may notice a certain muffled quality to the sound, but it won't be nearly as bad as what you would experience with normal earplugs. Let's put it this way, I'm a natural skeptic and my tests really made me a believer in the product so I now carry a pair on my keychain and don't leave home without them.

Jan 14, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 10
I appreciate the help!

I'm not sure how loud the average concert is, nor am I sure about how much noise the ear can take before damage occurs (I suppose I could google for these answers... too lazy at the moment) but you guys think that etymotics will be enough protection for loud events, especially concerts for someone with tinnitus? Sorry if i'm sounding overly paranoid.

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 10
The ER-20 are great, even though they don't attenuate very much. 20dB is still a little over 6 times lower volume. If you want to attenuate more, you could get some custom etymotics with switch able filters.

I wear them at work and it makes a big difference, instead of hearing 135dB I only hear 115 (which is still too much for longer periods of time). If I have to work in a noisy area for a long time I usually take out the etys (they irritate my ears after a while too) and use ear muffs
biggrin.gif

edit: I think you should take the time in consideration since the longer you are in a noisy environment the bigger the chance of damage is. Just search for some exposure charts, anything above 80dB is dangerous. If it's just one concert I think the etys will provide enough protection. But if you want to know for sure ask a doctor.

Jan 15, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 10
For ~$150 if you go to an audiologist they can make impressions for custom hearing protection.

What you want to ask for are 'flat response attenuation'. There are a few types out there, made for musicians or soundmen generally. I would guess that 15db would be a good start, still allowing you some impact from the performance. If you are the type that stands in front of the speaker stacks...stick to the foam plugs.

The type I had came with a set of filter tubes that looked like small elbow macaroni. They attenuated different ranges and levels for different purposes so I could change them out depending on the evening's show quality.

Custom molds are awesome, as they will fit perfectly. The sound quality is a lot nicer than the throwaway foam protectors, though those will offer the most protection of any type.

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 10
Foam plugs are still the best for absolute noise attenuation and affordability, but they sound so damn bad I wouldn't end up wearing them.

As mentioned, the ER-20s are great because they don't break the bank, are reusable, and actually sound pretty good. Definitely not enough if you are the type to stand right next to the speakers, but I've been to plenty of loud shows (metal and punk) where I've come out with no ringing at all. My friends, on the other hand, have had strong ringing for days afterward.

Highly recommended.

Jan 15, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 10
If you do have custom earplugs made (~$120), be sure that the plugs form a tight seal. I've found that if the impressionist doesn't have you open your mouth during the impression, the seal can be very easily broken with just a bit of jaw movement.

Jan 16, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 10
Concert levels are insane. I'm a Shriner so I work a lot of the concerts we get coming through our building. The volume they pump out to fill our rather small hall is insane. I personally think that most musicians are completely nuts, my day job is on refineries and nobody works without hearing protection out there. The noise level is a good 20-30db less than most concerts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back