What do you do to stay energetic and positive?
Oct 29, 2006 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41
To introduce this question, I'd like to start off by telling you why I'm asking it:

Sometimes I find myself drained or lethargic and once I'm in that state, it's that much harder to get up out of it. Lately I've found that a good way to stay energetic and maintain a positive mindset is simply by getting a good start to my day. I used to drink a mocha coffee with whipped cream every morning at work for breakfast, but lately I've been making oatmeal (with raisins, dried cranberries, brown sugar and milk) and black coffee or blueberry/green tea for breakfast, or often yogurt with sliced bananas. Sometimes in colder weather I'll have my shower in the morning to loosen my sore muscles, rather than taking one at night. The other day I went on a 2-hour bike ride in the cold rain. I've recently started going to the gym and doing very simple aerobics (baby steps). I'm planning on starting to swim in the mornings on my days off. I also plan on biking to work occasionally.

I've also really noticed (especially in the last couple days) that keeping yourself active, accomplishing something with each part of your day (in other words, not wasting your time) is extremely proactive. Motion begets motion.

And of course, getting a proper night's sleep. (Something that I ignore way too much)

So, I ask you this: What things do you do to help yourself stay energetic, motivated and positive? Keeping active? Simply not thinking, just doing? Detaching yourself from reality? Thinking positively? Working hard and just soldiering on? I'm looking forward to hearing what you find works for you, as I'm just in awe of people who are so active, accomplished, and positive without losing their minds and burning out all the time.

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 41
Ignoring reality and rationalizing my life.

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 41
I'll tell you what I don't do, get stone drunk before 9am.

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 41
TEA! Irish breakfast tea from Twinings, to be more precise
biggrin.gif
. But not being slack and running a tidy shop like you have learnt to do is a sure-fire formula for success.

Really though, I'm 20, so those 3 things come for free.

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 41
I just do my Stuart Smally daily affirmation in front of the mirror every morning. It always end with "... and I'm Ok!"

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphiremodena
So, I ask you this: What things do you do to help yourself stay energetic, motivated and positive?

I wish I could give an answer to that one lol...I personally suffer from depression, so staying motivated and positive can very difficult at times. Such as right now, I moved a few months ago and been striking out finding work. I been out of work going on 4 months now and really miss indulging in this headphone hobby.

Some things that have worked in the past: meditation, sauna(go as hot as you can take 20 minutes, jump in a cold shower
smily_headphones1.gif
) taking walks in the morning before work, working out. Caffeine works but it's effects don't last long.

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 41
the big lebowski influenced my new lifestyle. just be layed back about everything. i guess its also like in office space.

as walter sobcheck would say "**** it dude, lets go bowling" thats what i say about a lot of issues in my life. it makes you stay happier and stress free

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 41
I wish I was as proactive as you! If I get too down, I usually just talk to important people in my life. I suppose my habits are conducive to relatively stress-free living.

Some of the things that I try to do consciously every night to avoid stresses that are easily avoidable is talk to my older brother about the happenings of my life (and listen, of course), writing my reflections in my journal, meditate on my Bible, pray, dress warmly so I don't too cold at night, look at a picture of my friend and me, listen to some good music for a while. These are my daily rituals. In the morning, I just get up, get dressed, brush teeth, eat, pack lunch and leave. Get up and go.

Jon Time consists of talking to good friends, chilling at a friend's house and playing Tetris Attack, playing piano or guitar, getting some work done (nothing like the feeling of accomplishment), or breakdancing. Mmm. Pop and lock. Right now I'm just working on my six step. It's fun. You can get the hang of it after 5 minutes. Then when you get really good at the six step and only do that, you'll think you're the hottest breaker on the bboy-fi market. I believe it's one of those moves that if you get really good at it, you'll just naturally learn the other moves without even knowing the steps to it. Can't personally confirm that yet, but I know that after I learn to do the wave with my arms, I just got into all these other moves that brought sexy back.

Most of my techniques are non-physical, seeing as I'm a naturally energetic guy. I've got a high metabolism which I attribute to my 5 or 6 meals a day. A strange thing I've noticed is if I don't eat exactly when I feel hungry and sort of "starve" myself for 10 minutes to 15 minutes, I get a lot of energy and become a really pleasant and fun person. If you don't believe me and think I'm crazy, I don't care; this is just a repeated observation. I've seen it over the past 4 years, and I don't quite know how to explain it. Try it at least once.

Oh yes, and learn some killer jokes. Get 2 or 3 good ones that you can memorize and whip out whenever you need. Depending on who you're with, you can tell a different joke and the people you're with can transmit some of their energy to you. Instead of producing your own, you can cultivate it with others and share the wealth. It works really well for me because I'm in university and can usually just pick out people I know and can talk to for a bit. We have a joke thread you can steal from.

How about listening to some music? Robbers rob, losers lose, and head-fiers head-fi. What can I say?

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghopper
i pleasure myself. i won't tell you how.

Wouldn't you be less energetic after pleasuring yourself?

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I just do my Stuart Smally daily affirmation in front of the mirror every morning. It always end with "... and I'm Ok!"

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough... and dog-gonnit, People Like me
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #13 of 41
I go to the gym three times a week, which give me lots of energy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back