What do you collect?
May 12, 2004 at 12:40 PM Post #46 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demolition
Pavane Amber Tweak BS
rolleyes.gif
)

dude, what is this nut talking about? it's kind of funny, but really far out. Using amber beads arranged in a "mystical" way to enhance an audiophile sound system? And he wants a couple hundred bucks for them too.
confused.gif

May 12, 2004 at 12:46 PM Post #47 of 63
I study the nihon-to (Japanese sword).
I have been doing this for the last seven years or so, basically this makes me a beginner since the matter is a bit complicated, much like hi-fi can be a lot of times....
biggrin.gif

I myself have been to a lot of European museums that have collections, I like the British museum collection best I have been there several times already, I keep coming back, drooling......

People who are not interested in the hobby can often not understand/see the beauty of the forge and polish or holding and exquisite piece in your hand, feeling the pure power and great balance of it, it brings great joy to me however.

I have a few swords myself, these are not old pieces, but newer production swords, one is based on little crow (Kogarasu-Maru) a design which IMO is marvelous, I like it more then katana.
They are, however far from cheap china trash and genuine.
I am still learning the way to take good care for swords (especially old swords need this!!!) and not be disrespectful to the sword and maker (I have dropped a sword point down once already, shame on me!).
I know when I am ready I will own such a great sword one day, it is something to look forward too.

May 12, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #48 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spent&Bent
I study the nihon-to (Japanese sword).
I have been doing this for the last seven years or so, basically this makes me a beginner since the matter is a bit complicated, much like hi-fi can be a lot of times....
biggrin.gif

I myself have been to a lot of European museums that have collections, I like the British museum collection best I have been there several times already, I keep coming back, drooling......

People who are not interested in the hobby can often not understand/see the beauty of the forge and polish or holding and exquisite piece in your hand, feeling the pure power and great balance of it, it brings great joy to me however.

I have a few swords myself, these are not old pieces, but newer production swords, one is based on little crow (Kogarasu-Maru) a design which IMO is marvelous, I like it more then katana.
They are, however far from cheap china trash and genuine.
I am still learning the way to take good care for swords (especially old swords need this!!!) and not be disrespectful to the sword and maker (I have dropped a sword point down once already, shame on me!).
I know when I am ready I will own such a great sword one day, it is something to look forward too.

Hey, you should speak to Larry at Larocco Audio. He used to make swords for a living!!

May 12, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #49 of 63
I found that I spread myself quite thin by collecting more than one type of item. So I am just sticking with audio stuff. Specifically, Hong Kong pop CDs.

I kind of fell into this. I started buying Hong Kong pop CDs back in 1987 when I got my first CD player. Over the years, I have accumulated over 500 HK pop CDs (all originals, not pirated trash). Then I see an article in a Chinese newspaper about the value of these old CDs....wow!! US$300 for a CD I have sitting in my CD rack?? I started visiting Hong Kong-based auction sites, and I realized, my gawd, I have some VERY valuable CDs in my collection. I am not a dealer and have no intention of selling any of my CDs, but it's cool to have something other people lust after.

Latest sub-genre collection is HK pop SACDs. I own almost all of the SACDs listed under "Chinese Pop" at SA-CD.net and I upload scans of the covers to its webmaster. Hmmm....those Hong Kong Warner SACDs may prove to be valuable some day.

May 12, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by MN Ham Phones
About the only thing I "collect" is music CDs. I've slowed down the past few years but I have a bit over 600. Beyond that, "collecting" is a disease I don't understand as I fail to see the mania over owning just to own or betting on rising values. I'm just an anti packrat.

How do you keep track of them?

BW

May 12, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #51 of 63
I used to collect baseball cards as a kid. I have a couple big huge binders full of them and a couple shoe boxes.

My dad said that it was like investing in the stock market--a couple decades down the road all of those big name rookie cards will be worth big money and I'll make a fortune. I even had a book with all the values of each card and I used to look them up as I got them.

Does anyone even collect these things anymore?

May 12, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #53 of 63
Swimming pools.

Heart shaped, Kidney, Olympic, Diamond, Piano (Liberace), Guitar, Pancreas, oval, Sonic the Hedgehog, Gizzard, ...etc., etc.

Acres and acres of cement ponds...

My other passion is suitcase's full of money...all shapes and sizes. I've always been a sucker for a big suitcase full of money.

Just can't hep myself...

eek.gif

May 13, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #55 of 63
I collect pens...fountain pens, ballpoint pens, and mechanical pencils. It's an even more addicting hobby than headphones, and the potential for bankruptcy is much greater.
evil_smiley.gif

May 13, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

RickG said...

My other passion is suitcase's full of money...all shapes and sizes. I've always been a sucker for a big suitcase full of money.

Where might one go to... collect... big suitcases full of money?
evil_smiley.gif

May 13, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #58 of 63
I don't really collect much...

Of course I 'collect' music, I want to have as many (good) CD's/LP's as possible, so I might never be bored and to expand my experiences. But of those; only LP's I collect, because CD's for me are only the means of getting music, as with LP's there are many different reasons.
First of all there is the 'vintage'-feel, even though I was born at the end of the LP-era I still get a special feeling when I'm busy with my LP's and they've seized a special spot in my heart. Second they've got an aesthetical value, the covers are pleasing and make your home seem like some museum.
biggrin.gif
And third: most of the music I like is from the LP-era, therefor collecting LP's from those days bring me great musical pleasure.

I also collect manga (Japanese comics), mostly because it's a very refreshing way of passing on stories and because sometimes the art's simply stunning. Also most of the stories are not like many western stories, and you'll notice many diferences in ethics and values, which fascinate me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Those are really the only 2 things which I actively collect.
plainface.gif

May 14, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #59 of 63
I collect books. Mostly Sci-fi, but some other works in there as well. My treasured milestones:

Complete works of Robert A. Heinlein (about 20% first prints and climing)
Complete works of Isaac Asimov (about 10% and climbing)
Complete set of Hardy Boys mysteries and Nancy Drew (reprints)
Signed hardcover of Ender's Game by O.S.C
Signed paperback of Stranger In A Strange Land by R.A.H

Still working on a few more books by Card, Bova, Crighton, and then I'll find a new author or three.

May 14, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivion
I also collect manga (Japanese comics), mostly because it's a very refreshing way of passing on stories and because sometimes the art's simply stunning. Also most of the stories are not like many western stories, and you'll notice many diferences in ethics and values, which fascinate me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Those are really the only 2 things which I actively collect.
plainface.gif

Cool, pretty much all I collect these days (other than headphone equipment) is anime and manga. I just started collecting manga recently, so I've only got 58 books. Meanwhile I've got a little over 210 anime dvds (still pales in comparison to some peoples' collections). Like you say, the artwork in manga can be stunning; that and the quality of the story is the draw of manga over anime for me. However, when the art, music, story, voice-acting and directing all come together in anime, it's awesome. Overall I like them about equally at this point.

I briefly collected anime cels for a short stint, but quit when I realized how insanely expensive that was. I haven't reached that point yet with head-fi
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back