What do you all think of Bose?
Jan 8, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #46 of 57
Well, I admit that this car analogy may be my bad! I should've took clothing instead, or anything else. I wear a 25$ Dickies working pants, because I like the fit, the length, the color, etc. I just can't imagine myself paying a hundred or two (and more) for having a hyper trendy pair of jeans. But I was fine paying 171$CAN for my phones. The point is, any domain in the world (cars, clothes, headphones, building materials, name it!) has differents niches, and that for accomodate the most of us. You know, 7 billions of human beings can't have all the same taste in all the categories of produced products.

Exactly. Or as Kod said - everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Also, just to get nitpicky on the history side - Sony is responsible for the majority of advances being attributed to Beyer and Sennheiser (angled drivers, advances in diaphragm materials, etc). Really, there hasn't been any "major" advance or "breakthrough" in the last ~20 years (and this isn't a bad thing), at least with dynamic drivers (STAX and Koss have certainly continued with ESPs, and various manufacturers with planar magnetics though). And I'm pretty sure 1971 came before 1972...not that it has any bearing whatsoever on this discussion or the price of tea in China.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #47 of 57
Obobs, you have to stop liking things that other people don't like.  You should know that by now. 
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

rolleyes.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #49 of 57
A bad product doesn't make a brand bad. Consistently bad products do. And most brands have their peaks and troughs. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #50 of 57
I have the Bose A20 headset. Bought it for 1100$. Twice the price of my used RS1's and worth every penny. Noise canceling works really good and pro the most comfortable headset I've worn. They crush the David Clark's I had and I tried lightspeed Zulus, clarity aloft and senneheisers. The Zulus came the close to matching the Bose but I didn't think they were as comfortable and everyone I've known who had them has had to return them for warranty work. They also sound pretty nice to.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #51 of 57
I have the Bose A20 headset. Bought it for 1100$. Twice the price of my used RS1's and worth every penny. Noise canceling works really good and pro the most comfortable headset I've worn. They crush the David Clark's I had and I tried lightspeed Zulus, clarity aloft and senneheisers. The Zulus came the close to matching the Bose but I didn't think they were as comfortable and everyone I've known who had them has had to return them for warranty work. They also sound pretty nice to.

Are those the pilots ones? Or are we talking about some new tier of "flagship headphone" from Bose that nobody else has ever heard of? I ask because I thought the pilot headphone was called "Aviation X" or something. :xf_eek: (And before you ask - I know nothing about being a pilot, flying, etc, if that wasn't obvious...).

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #52 of 57
Yeah they are the Aviation ones http://www.bose.ca/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/aviation_headsets/a20/index.jsp. Just was feeling bad for Bose by all of the beat downs they were getting. So I thought I'd bring up something they are good at.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #53 of 57
Yeah they are the Aviation ones http://www.bose.ca/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/aviation_headsets/a20/index.jsp. Just was feeling bad for Bose by all of the beat downs they were getting. So I thought I'd bring up something they are good at.

I kind of like the look of those with the fuzzy headband, but I'm guessing they're kind of ridiculous to buy for at home use. :xf_eek:

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #54 of 57
Something else I've always seen in shops and audio stores are Bose Acoustimass speakers, they're mostly used because they can be tucked away in small spaces.
As a kid I didn't know they had a sub hidden somewhere, but the sound is pretty good for the size of the satellites.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #55 of 57
yeah, but I never understand the cost of their receivers. with that being said, I might get there satellites speaker though just because they are so small and can swivel to the direction I want them to be unless someone can lead me to something else I can get that is also small :)

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #56 of 57
yeah, but I never understand the cost of their receivers. with that being said, I might get there satellites speaker though just because they are so small and can swivel to the direction I want them to be unless someone can lead me to something else I can get that is also small :)

Most other smaller speakers, at least for that price, will be a lot brighter (some to the point of being obnoxious) - especially if you aren't introducing a crossover and good mid-bass capable subwoofer to the mix. I'm thinking of Klipsch, Logitech, Definitive, etc speakers that usually end up with some sort of horn or efficient tweeter mated to a very small "woofer." The Mirage speakers are worth considering too, but they're *very* diffuse (that's kind of the point), so depending on your room they may or may not be a good choice. I will say that as far as the "coke can" category of satellites go, Bose and Mirage are probably the only two that I genuinely enjoy listening to - most everything else is just so bright/harsh (especially the Klipsch, with their little horns).

I know Jamo has some new baby sats out, but I haven't heard them - they look to be based on a single full-range driver though, so there might be hope with those too.

Of course once you get out of the "coke can" category, there's as many options as there are days on the calendar (and Klipsch is something I would legitimately suggest if you're talking bookshelves or towers) - just depends on how small you want your speakers to be, and what kind of sound you preference (and remember that Bose speakers are colored and do have a relatively unique presentation (the quasi-diffuse thing)). My advice would be to try them out in a demo where you can also try other speakers (Best Buy should let you do this, even if you have to go to multiple speaker testing stations in the same store) - figure out what sounds good enough to take home, and then try them out at home (and yes at home will be different than in-store, but in-store gives you some semblance of an idea).

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #57 of 57
I'll check out the mirage, and if not I stick with the Bose.  I heard the Bose before and don't think they are bad for how small they are.  I have considered the in wall klipsch before, but am leaning away because I need some that I can mount and swivel plus small.  Thanks Obobskivich!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back