What do we all do for a living?
Aug 19, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #106 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still in my third year of business management and deciding either major in finance or accounting

but I always found that accountants are the most hated in any companies
and being described as bean counters (which a negative word IMO)

for those of you who are accountants, how do you feel about that?

We work in a finance office consisting of people from similar, if not the same, background and carrying various responsibilities like financial reporting, reconciliation, general ledgers, accounts payable/receivable, payroll and so on. It's a fun place to work at and I get to surf the net -like what I'm doing now-. I'm glad I made the switch. I'm not aware of accountants (which is a loose/general term btw as we carry many different roles) being a hated group of people. In fact most managers who go up to top positions tend to come from a financial/accounting background. In that case, isn't it only natural they are the objects of envy by their peers?
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #107 of 127
Mechanical Engineering since college back in '74, seems like just yesterday.

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #109 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still in my third year of business management and deciding either major in finance or accounting

but I always found that accountants are the most hated in any companies
and being described as bean counters (which a negative word IMO)

for those of you who are accountants, how do you feel about that?

I resembled that remark 25 years ago. I went the finance route & have been an international corporate banker since then with no regrets.

Having said that, while accountants are sometimes called beancounters, we will always need accountants and the good ones with a good understanding of what's behind the numbers often become CFO's...and some CFO's become CEO's.

The accountancy route is also a good entry point in the corporate food chain provided you can develop into a trusted advisor for the key decision makers you will work with.

Steve

PS: Nice bike avatar...I ride some old fart bikes: a K1200RS, 950 Adventure and a Victory cruiser.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #111 of 127
I've been in the electronics industry since 1977, and as a hobbyist before that.
Spent 5 years at a CAE/CAD/CAM company as a Sr. Applications Engineer, 12+ years at Tektronix (TV T&M Div), and just prior to my present gig, 7+ years as an Engineering manager at Intel. Now I own a small staffing company. Anybody want a job?
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #112 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been in the electronics industry since 1977, and as a hobbyist before that.
Spent 5 years at a CAE/CAD/CAM company as a Sr. Applications Engineer, 12+ years at Tektronix (TV T&M Div), and just prior to my present gig, 7+ years as an Engineering manager at Intel. Now I own a small staffing company. Anybody want a job?
wink.gif

Did you have access to ES chips?

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #115 of 127
Highschool Grad 2 years ago, 20yrs old

Now working Full-time doing race-car / speed-shop fabrication and builds

Pays good and i enjoy it

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #116 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Care to give us a hint as to which vineyard?

Not really... its not open yet... I might tell ya when it is open though..... It is my parents, and i dont know how they would feel if I was "advertising" on a forum. Well, i could give ya a little hint, to get you interested in the area..... It is in Western New York... Here are some teasers...
272876414.jpg
272876409.jpg
That second pic is about 1.5 years old, the vines are much bigger now

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #117 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you have access to ES chips?

Many of my guys managed to get engineering samples to play with, but I never had time to play.

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #118 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjp3003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I resembled that remark 25 years ago. I went the finance route & have been an international corporate banker since then with no regrets.

Having said that, while accountants are sometimes called beancounters, we will always need accountants and the good ones with a good understanding of what's behind the numbers often become CFO's...and some CFO's become CEO's.

The accountancy route is also a good entry point in the corporate food chain provided you can develop into a trusted advisor for the key decision makers you will work with.

Steve

PS: Nice bike avatar...I ride some old fart bikes: a K1200RS, 950 Adventure and a Victory cruiser.

I think I'll be taking finance as my major and become a CFA

manage my own portfolio to make a living and not working for anyone but myself .......I hope
cool.gif

--> Steve, that's Ducati 1098s tricolore
I don't think I can afford one in coming 10 years
frown.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #119 of 127
By the way, there are a lot of areas of math that don't use any Calculus. It is unfortunate that people often get turned away from math during the Calculus sequence. In fact, I have a good friend that is a mathematician and who did not have a very good relationship with triple integrals.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My kudos to you. Although I like maths and numbers a lot, calculus (those triple integrations... ohhh) has always been my Achilles' heel and hence why I can never really take up math as a profession.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back