What do these audio specs mean?
Dec 12, 2008 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

f13

New Head-Fier
This is my first post so I apologize for being a n00b. I have an HP laptop that I use with in-ear headphones. The sound quality seems really good and there isn't any hiss. I was wondering if these specs are good...

Audio Output Quality Frequency Response 20 Hz - 20 kHz
Signal to Noise Ratio >85 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion 0.01%
Noise Floor -110 dB
Play/Record Sampling
Rate(s)
7 kHz - 48 kHz
AD/DA Resolution 16 bit

Thanks guys.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 8
SNR is a 'ratio' so it needs to be quoted with respect to some level of signal output, eg. 85 dB at 0.1Wrms output.

The specs are pretty generic values that fit within the minimum accepted criteria for 'good' sound. I wouldn't really expect anything better from a standard laptop PC.

'Audiophile' specs are better than these and it costs extra $ in the sound card / chip department.

Dec 12, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the good info.

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 8
Well technically you can google or wiki all these up. The ones that I pay attention to most are the one I know will have some direct effect in the sound quality/energy demand:
THD (total harmonic distortion)
Input Impedance (resistance/ohms)
Sensitivity (SPL, for headphones usual db @ 1khz)
SNR (signal to noise ratio)

What I don't pay much attention to are frequency range (although important for recording purpose), and made up specs/mystical properties that are famous by Bose and the all time king of bs, Monster Cables. Also exaggerated chemical properties that are the norm in standard but written in long syllables as if they are special.

For SNR, there is a lot of debate on the dynamic range of CD quality, but it's going to be somewhere are 90-96.32db, but that is theoretically minus other factors.. So I aim for mp3 devices that can do atleast 90db SNR or higher. Ofcourse we're crossing into the sound science territory and I'm not trying to bring up some debate. Especially for the people who are listening to tube and vynil.

SPL and impedance can effect how well your source or amp drive the headphone or speakers. If your mp3 output 32mW per channel @ 16ohms and it's driving a headphone with 300ohms and 80db SPL, you'll barely get any sound out of it, but if you drive an earbud with 16ohms impedance and 108db spl, then you can get the volume to ear damaging level.

Something might have good spec but doesn't sound the way you like because each devices can have different sound signature, for example the E-mu 0404 (pci), good spec but extremely aggressive to my liking, the most reliable way is to read alot of reviews from other people. I have come to kind of associate a particular sound signature to a particular brand, it's not always correct ofcourse. Whenever I think Sony, I think ear bleeding.

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 8
Interesting. So if i hooked up an amp like a Fiio E3 or E5, would it bypass my laptop's soundcard? Would it make it sound better?

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 8
It would not do either. If you use the headphone out port on your laptop, you are using the soundcard. The only way to bypass it is to use an external DAC connected by USB or some digital cable, if your laptop supports that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back