What do stage performer's wear IEMs?
May 18, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #61 of 85
i read this thread briefly...

I'm a musician (played guitar/bass in various bands on stage).  The point of IEMs are for monitoring your bandmate's parts so you know what's going on.  If you have ever played at poorly amped venues, you will know that the stage monitiors sometimes clip badly or sound like garbage. 

Custom IEMs are important for musicians because first and foremost, the molds are custom fit to your ear.  I have a pair of Sensaphonics and compared to Guitar Center drummer plugs, these are much more comfortable and do not drown all the sound.  You can hear all the mids/highs/bass without things getting muffled.  The second important thing, as others have said, you can adjust the EQs on what instrument to come out more.  Ive played at venues where they had the 2 guitarists mic'd to the monitors, but I still couldn't hear them because the monitors were crap, not loud enough, and kept clipping. 

May 18, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #62 of 85

Quote:
Not sure if serious...
confused_face_2.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-ear_monitor

I sensed a troll right off.. but thought I'd be helpful JUST in case.. alas, my initial fears were realised.

Some people need to get out more or find something to fill their time with, rather than just being a dick online.

May 18, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #63 of 85
If someone with customs give me a good reason(I mean good, not something like, "it gives me good isolation from cars outside," and "fits good" etc.. or musicians wears it so therefore its good sound quality reasoning), I might be convined of its benefits over universals beyond the performer's stage.  I will have to do some more research.  And no, I was not trolling.  I wanted to get some simple answers about stage performers and how the customs were used for, and did not care for anybody with customs to tell me why its a good buy or not as thats not what I was asking for on this thread.  You guys get so touchy with your customs.  I'm gonna have to do some real research before deciding on buying customs.  At this point, there is no good reason why I should choose customs over universals.   

May 18, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #64 of 85
Forget the musicians use of customs for the moment.

I have custom iems as I can afford them, it is much like having a suit made for you. Yes you can buy one ready made and if it fits then fine, if not, and you can afford a tailored one then go for it. The main cost of customs is due to the hands on mafucaturing part of the process whilst universals are mass produced, the same as the tailored suit.

Isolation - with the right tips you can get as good if not better isolation with universals

Sound - again with the right drivers universals can be as good.

Comfort/fit - customs win hands down (tailored suit versus general fit). A common comment is that customs users can wear their iems for long periods without issue, universal users tend to reach a level of discomfort far sooner. It used to take me a while to get my universals to fit properly to the level of isolation I needed and I could only handle them in for about an hour, my customs are fitted in seconds and be popped in/out easily if need be in the same short time, but I can wear them comfortably for ages.

Universals come in different price, quality & sound brackets - so do customs.

Back to musicians for a short postscript. The customs a lot of them wear are basic models, some often leave one iem hanging out, for them the quality is not a real issue it's the isolation from the unwanted noise and the concentation on the sounds they need to hear to make their performance fit in with the band/music. Some musicians use universals! So it's likely that the quality of mine exceed that of your average musician (except some of the top level performers who choose the best the same way they choose the best they can afford in everything else - but not all do as iems are just a work tool to them!).

So the main reasons we customs owners get them is that we prefer the fit, comfort, isolation and quality as a package, at a price we can (but others perhaps cannot) afford. It's just a co-incidence that musicians use them.

Bottom line customs are not 'best bang for buck' universal probably are. Customs are more like 'best comfort regardless of cost'

May 18, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #65 of 85
Thanks. ^That sounded very honest, and not defensive or offensive.  Sounded very unbiased, and added more information about the use of IEMs by artists, which is what I as looking for in this thread.  

May 18, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #66 of 85

Quote:
Thanks. ^That sounded very honest, and not defensive or offensive.  Sounded very unbiased, and added more information about the use of IEMs by artists, which is what I as looking for in this thread.  

Honestly, I can't see how StevieDVD's attitude in that post was essentially different from everybody else's first few replies. They only got sarcastic after your subsequent replies turned your simple question into something more like "I dare you to prove that they're good, but you can't because you're all zombies to UE's marketing dept but I have proof that I took one class in wireless receivers." Sometimes some certifications don't mean squat. I once had a superior with a doctorate in Education when I worked for my Government's regulation agency, and she thinks that "Political Science" as a general undergreaduate program and "Gender Issues and Conflict Management" as a Graduate Program are absolutely un-related. DUH, the tecdhnocrats who did the UN reports about gender-related issues in war zones are either trained in Political Science or International Law. I am not saying you can be as dumbelled as that bureaucrat, but I am giving you fair warning that you might become one if you keep that up. Everyone already answered your question on the first page: they have to monitor what the other band members are doing so they can keep up. When someone understood your statement wrong, you quetion whether he actually knows what a wireless receiver is and you are sure you do because you have some piece of paper that says you do;  when, in fact, you also implied there that they work differently somehow and in one way or another they are pointless off-stage, or if never used on-stage.

Now it isn't simply HOW and WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES they are used, but whether what you pay for is utilized. Don't assume that it's always like some poser rapper driving around in a Ferrari that will never see enough cornering G's in racetracks as they spend more time parked in front of nightclubs or in the ackground in a music video. I don't have custom IEMs but that's because I have my own car and what I could spend on these I spent on Focal speakers and an amp to drive them, plus a processor. One guy will be on a train listening on customs, I drove into downtown and got stuck in traffic listening to my Focals. I don't join EMMA or IASCA, the other guy does not have a band. Are those reasons enough to discount our utilization of the performance of the equipment? I want to hear the vocalist dead center on the dash with the drums behind that and the guitrs have good stereo separation, but I don't need to have a trained judge to hand me a trophy for me to be happy with it. The audiophile on the train absolutely wants to not hear some other passenger whining about how stupid people in forums are because they do not agree with him, while enjoying strong bass impact without sacrificing the high frequencies. Is it voodoo then?

But if you're going to place such emphasis on degrees or certifications, why not write down the title to this thread, "What do stage performer's wear IEMs?" and show it to a credible English professor? He/She can educate you in grammatical rules, just like you tried to "educate" people here by asking a question. That's how you describe the Socratic method, but if you show this thread to a philosophy or social science professor, I doubt if he'd concede that that's what you were doing.

May 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #68 of 85
High_Q, welcome to my ignore list. The best thing you've done is forcing me to learn how to use the feature.

May 18, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #71 of 85

Quote:
Is the quality better because of their magically better drivers?  I know that customs decrease noise by 35 dB, but is that change in sound quality?  Who need this much noise isolation??  Let me guess, stage performers because of the very high decibel noise they want to isolate.  How is quality different if you are in a quiet room, but not on a stage?  Also, why would quality matter if the stage performers have all that background noise they are isolating plus the wireless audio transmission?  I think isolation is the upmost concern and thinking that the idea of customs came from that leaves very curious.

The placement of the drivers are also customized according to the shape of the users ear canal, not just the shell. 

May 18, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #72 of 85

Quote:
If someone with customs give me a good reason(I mean good, not something like, "it gives me good isolation from cars outside," and "fits good" etc.. or musicians wears it so therefore its good sound quality reasoning), I might be convined of its benefits over universals beyond the performer's stage.  I will have to do some more research.  And no, I was not trolling.  I wanted to get some simple answers about stage performers and how the customs were used for, and did not care for anybody with customs to tell me why its a good buy or not as thats not what I was asking for on this thread.  You guys get so touchy with your customs.  I'm gonna have to do some real research before deciding on buying customs.  At this point, there is no good reason why I should choose customs over universals.   

Well, you simply won't find any universals that have the same quality sound as the JHaudio line, have fun trying though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back