What do stage performer's wear IEMs?
May 17, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #16 of 85
I give up, you "win".
deadhorse.gif

May 17, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #17 of 85
Quote:

Its not about winning, it about relaying proper information.  I have taken a course on RF transmission and know what "receivers" actually means.  I do not mean to offend.  I just wanted to realize more about custom IEMs and their purposes so that everybody can make better judgement on what they want, not regurgitate what already been marketed by UE or JHA.

May 17, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #18 of 85
I am no idea what is he coming at, there is not a single vaild point he made.

It can be used with a wireless reciever, erm... so what? Actually even other headphone can and is pluged in to wireless reciever like IEM everywhere depending the situation and requirement.

May 17, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #19 of 85

Quote:
Quote:
Its not about winning, it about relaying proper information.  I have taken a course on RF transmission and know what "receivers" actually means.  I do not mean to offend.  I just wanted to realize more about custom IEMs and their purposes so that everybody can make better judgement on what they want, not regurgitate what already been marketed by UE or JHA.

Let me see if I can't help clarify a few things...

None of the replies I've read have regurgitated what has already been marketed by UE or JHA.  

Somehow you're missing the point of CUSTOM IEM's.  A custom IEM is made to fit the users ear canal from molds/impressions taken by an audiologist, which in turn will provide more isolation for the user and a more precise listening experience, regardless of what it's plugged into.  Whether the user is a professional or an audiophile is irrelevant, the final product is the same, a custom fit In Ear Monitor.  Isolation is a key factor for both pro and audiophile.

I think you're also unclear on how a stage professional uses their IEM's versus an Audiophile. Hopefully this will help...

Professional: source('s) (wired to) transmitter (wirelessly transmitted to) receiver (wired to) IEM (ear canal)

Audiophile: source('s) (wired to) IEM (ear canal)

The only difference is that the path of the professional's signal is wireless along the way, but in the end, it's wired to a custom IEM.  In most cases the professional's IEM is no different than an audiophile's IEM in capablity.  Each musician will choose what they want to hear/monitor in their ears while performing, but at the end of the night, they could plug their CUSTOM IEM into an iPod, laptop or some other DAP/DAC/AMP setup and listen to the same music you're listening to.  The difference is their CUSTOM IEM's fit their ear perfectly, which should result in a better (more personal) listening experience.

Hopefully this helps you understand why people choose CUSTOM IEM's over universal fit IEM's and why professionals rely on them.

Joey

May 17, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #20 of 85
Still doesn't change the fact that professionals are using their IEMs for different reasons, and walking around wearing IEMs thinking it really good because professionals on stage wear them is kinda rediculous.  Over $1000 rediculous.  You haven't given me any real solid evidence, all you have said is its better.  Why is it better? Give me evidence.

May 17, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #21 of 85

Quote:
Still doesn't change the fact that professionals are using their IEMs for different reasons, and walking around wearing IEMs thinking it really good because professionals on stage wear them is kinda rediculous. Over $1000 rediculous.

You can think what you want. People want the best sound that they can get, so why not get customs? Who cares if performers use them?

May 17, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #22 of 85

Quote:
Still doesn't change the fact that professionals are using their IEMs for different reasons, and walking around wearing IEMs thinking it really good because professionals on stage wear them is kinda rediculous.  Over $1000 rediculous.  You haven't given me any real solid evidence, all you have said is its better.  Why is it better? Give me evidence.

The sound quality of these high end custom IEM's are on par with the best of the best headphones. Plus, you're getting this sound in a much smaller package that is personalized for you. That right there justifies their high price tag. Out of my whole audio setup, even though the JH13 Pro's are the most expensive item, I find it to have the highest value per dollar and a bargain for what you're getting.

May 17, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #23 of 85

Quote:
The sound quality of these high end custom IEM's are on par with the best of the best headphones. 

Is the quality better because of their magically better drivers?  I know that customs decrease noise by 35 dB, but is that change in sound quality?  Who need this much noise isolation??  Let me guess, stage performers because of the very high decibel noise they want to isolate.  How is quality different if you are in a quiet room, but not on a stage?  Also, why would quality matter if the stage performers have all that background noise they are isolating plus the wireless audio transmission?  I think isolation is the upmost concern and thinking that the idea of customs came from that leaves very curious.

May 17, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #24 of 85
Performers wear custom IEMs for two reasons: to isolate stage sound to clearly hear their performance and reduce the chance of hearing damage.  Generally custom IEMs provide superior isolation and comfort over their non custom counterparts.  Flagship model custom IEMs have additional drivers (6, in the case of the JH16 Pro) and 3 way crossovers to create a more accurate reproduction of the music.

Consumers wear them for much the same reason.

It's like taking a pair of Sennheiser HD 800s, miniaturizing them, and making them conform to your specific ear shape and isolate 25db+ of environmental noise.

That being said, if you don't think you're going to hear the difference between a Skullcandy INK'd and a JH16, then you're probably in the wrong forum.

May 17, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #25 of 85
Quote:

First of all, thanks to Joey for summarizing where High_Q was wrong better than I could. At least he believed someone.

Second, why are they better?

1. In general, customs (the $1000 ones included) have better isolation than universals. There are exceptions in the Etymotics in-ears that work pretty much like earplugs with drivers in them and can do 40dB+ attenuation. Universals often get in the 20s, customs can reach 30. This means less sound leakage, less background noise, more music at less volume. That means healthier ears.

2. Comfort. Universals won't fit everyone, and even those they do fit well aren't going to have ears perfectly matched for them. Customs are designed to be extremely comfortable because they fit the user's ear perfectly.

3. Sound quality. Obviously subjective, but many people sold their bigger, bulkier, open and more expensive HD800s in favor of the little JH13 Pro. That speaks for itself. If JH Audio's use of the custom is any indication, a custom shell can fit more BA drivers. How that translates to better sound depends on the manufacturer's cross-over, and JH Audio's is apparently pretty good.

4. Your friends can't pester you to let them borrow your customs 
biggrin.gif

If you aren't interested in the returns on audio quality for the price, that's fine. Don't condemn others' purchases because of it, though. Also, if you don't think you really benefit from more isolation, you must not have experienced it. I haven't yet, but I figure that if there's still something besides the music that can be heard (as is always the case with portables) then more isolation can still come in handy. Your argument "Who really needs that much" is childish. Who really needs the audio quality? Someone does, else this forum wouldn't exist. If you're not one of them, fine.

May 17, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #26 of 85
Quote:

If you aren't interested in the returns on audio quality for the price, that's fine. Don't condemn others' purchases because of it, though.

I am not condemning, I am just trying to find good reasons behind the custom craze, and in the process bringing out useful information for the starting audiophiles.  If the people that paid over $1000 for their customs feel condemnrd, you should not because you guys have faith that it has good quality and the reasons above. 

May 17, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #27 of 85
LOL... you're not trying to find good reasons behind custom IEMs. You're just ignoring what everyone says and repeating what little (and incorrect) "knowledge" you have.

May 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #28 of 85
Quote:
LOL... you're not trying to find good reasons behind custom IEMs. You're just ignoring what everyone says and repeating what little (and incorrect) "knowledge" you have.

I was really trying to find some info.  I was seriously considering customs, then I changed my mind after I read(not ignore) all the reasons that people supporting customs provided me on this thread.  

May 17, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #30 of 85

Quote:

*ridiculous

Does the fact that Velcro was developed for use in space exploration mean that it isn't also perfectly suited for use in children's shoes (and ten thousand other applications)? Just because a water reclamation system was devised for the ISS meant that it can't perform perfectly well at cleaning terrestrial water in impoverished countries? Things often have more than one use.

The isolation that I get from my customs (customized TF10, relatively inexpensive) is perfect for mowing the lawn, snowblowing, riding on planes, and ignoring my friends while enjoying my music in high fidelity (to me, at least). They suit my needs. They also happen to suit the needs of a stage musician. Does that make them less useful/enjoyable to me? No. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back