What do stage performer's wear IEMs?
May 17, 2010 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
Is that IEMs they are wearing?  If so, are they typically customs?  What are their purposes?

May 17, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 85
Yes they are custom IEMs.. usually UE or JH Audio.  They use them for monitoring.. in place of the wedge shaped speakers you often see at the front of the stage, pointing at the performers.

This is the original reason for IEMs.. they just happened to take off as a high-end consumer/audiophile product afterwards.

May 17, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 85
Not sure if serious...
confused_face_2.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-ear_monitor

May 17, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 85
They are hearing the music being played and their vocals, but the advantage is that they decide how much of each instrument/singer to put in their mix.  This way they can hear themselves and the music better in order to make a better performance.

May 17, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 85
Quote:
Not sure if serious...
confused_face_2.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-ear_monitor

Thanks for the link, I've learned that signals are transmitted wirelessly.  So customs do not really represents the IEMs stage performers are wearing as they are wireless signals.  In addition, the performers need isolation as where they are performing has alot of background noise.  I do not see a good reason to use customs for normal use if they are derived from such circumstances.  I don't get the reasoning behind them giving you better sound quality.  I see customs as marketing gimmick for audiophiles.  It would be silly for me to pay over $1000 for monitors that was intended for such purposes.

May 17, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 85
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the link, I've learned that signals are transmitted wirelessly.  So customs do not really represents the IEMs stage performers are wearing as they are wireless signals.  In addition, the performers need isolation as where they are performing has alot of background noise.  I do not see a good reason to use customs for normal use if they are derived from such circumstances.  I don't get the reasoning behind them giving you better sound quality.  I see customs as marketing gimmick for audiophiles.  It would be silly for me to pay over $1000 for monitors that was intended for such purposes.

I think you're misunderstanding a few things.

As far as I know, the customs JH Audio sells to audiophiles are the exact same sold to performers. The IEMs themselves don't get the wireless signal, they're connected by cables (the same kind you stick in your iPod) to a receiver that picks that up. Obviously they have to be accurate so the musician will know when someone's off-tempo or off-key, and obviously they need to be able to reduce noise because it gets loud on-stage. They need to be accurate for studio work to make the songs sound good, and block out noise there so more attention can be given to the task at hand. What about either of those exactly wouldn't be appealing to an audiophile?

To quote, emphasis added:

In-ear monitors are professional grade earphones which fit into the ear and are commonly optimized to suit the needs of performers and serious audiophiles.

IEMs with good noise attenuation can cut the sound of a car engine down to a whisper. Computer fans become silent, nearby traffic drops to a dull roar, airplanes make little sound, and any annoying ambient sounds from a home's heater or air conditioner disappear.

May 17, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 85
Quote:
The IEMs themselves don't get the wireless signal, they're connected by cables (the same kind you stick in your iPod) to a receiver that picks that up. 

Do you know what a receiver is??  Do you mean they are not wireless receivers?  You haven't given me any real reasons to refute what I  have said, it only sounds like you only regurgitate what you have read.

May 17, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 85
Quote:
Do you know what a receiver is??  You haven't given me any real reasons to refute what I  have said, it only sounds like you only regurgitate what you have read.

Yes. It receives signals. Surprise?

Like an iPod, you stick it in a pocket and plug your IEMs into it. So I'm not sure why you think that the IEMs themselves would be different.

Okay. Looks like you'll have to explain where you're coming from then. Step by step please, my mind is too slow to comprehend normal text.

May 17, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 85
Are they wireless receivers??  If so, signals are transmitted wirelessly.

May 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 85
Quote:
Are they wireless receivers??  If so, signals are transmitted wirelessly.

Yes, but not to the IEMs directly. Meaning the IEMs have a normal cable that can be plugged into an iPod or any other source.

That is exactly what I said before. Your post made it seem like, since the IEMs performers use get a wireless signal, they don't work like normal IEMs. I quote:

Quote:
So customs do not really represents the IEMs stage performers are wearing as they are wireless signals.

May 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 85
Quote:
Yes, but not to the IEMs directly. Meaning the IEMs have a normal cable that can be plugged into an iPod or any other source.

I hope you realize that signal is still wireless.  Makes no difference if they are connected directly or indirectly when it comes to the kind of signal it is RECEIVING.

May 17, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #13 of 85
Quote:
I hope you realize that signal is still wireless.  Makes no difference if they are connected directly or indirectly when it comes to the kind of signal it is.

Okay. Explain to me how a signal transmitted through a wire is wireless. Also explain to me how this has any bearing on their use in iPods.

The cable carries an analog electrical signal of the sound that is sent wirelessly. It ceases to be a wireless signal when the receiver receives it and converts it into this analog electrical signal. This electrical signal is the exact same kind of electrical signal an iPod produces, though the iPod converts digital audio files rather than wireless sound. There is no difference in the type of signal once it reaches the IEM cable, only in what sounds are meant to be produced. Your argument is akin to claiming that no car speakers can play CDs because they play radio too.

Here's a good way to test. Buy a DAP that has an FM radio receiver built in. If your headphones can play both the digital files on the DAP and the wireless radio signal, you'll realize that your argument is ridiculous.

May 17, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 85
Is there a wireless transmission along the path??  Is there a RF transmitter and receiver??  If you say yes.  You have wireless transmission.

From Wiki:

The Transmitters and Receivers transfer audio wirelessly via a VHF or UHF radio frequency. Generally speaking, UHF systems sound much better than VHF systems and are therefore more expensive to purchase. UHF systems usually are less susceptible to frequency interference which adds to their level of quality.

May 17, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #15 of 85
Your point is?

Having wireless transmission doesn't change anything.

For example, Streaming a identical sound file from the internet. Will the CAT-5 connect computer sounds different to a Wi-Fi computer? No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back